Zambrano and Cubs avoid arbitration.

CyBandCG

Dec 11, 2006
Ames, IA
This story was just posted. I am glad they avoided arbitration, as vilotile as big Z I did not want this hanging over his head during spring training and then possibly hurting his chances of signing a long term deal. I don't understand why the Cubs don't throw money at him like they did everybody else. link below.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6487028

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Now let's wrap him up for the next 5 years with a new deal.

isumellie

May 18, 2006
Waukee, IA
This is a good first step that they did not end up going to the hearing but I will not be releaved until they sign him for 5 plus years more.

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Oh poor Cubs fans...when will you realize...you can't just buy a Division title or the World Series. I always feel Cubs fans have the same mentality as Iowa fans. They come into the season saying there going to win it all, and then they finish the season really poorly, or average at best.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Can't buy a title? Give me a break.

I am a big Z fan. As he matures he has the potential to be a hall of famer.

jpete24

SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Tell it to the Yanks or Red Sox? I don't need to, they seem to already know. How well did they do last year? Man, Cubs fans can't take alittle heat.....:laugh8kb:

cychotic

Jan 27, 2007
I think Zambrano is looking for Zito money and the Cubs don't want to pay it. Maybe they could fork up the cash if they didn't just spend 40 mil on Ted Lilly. But I guess that's the price for mediocrity in the current market.

isumellie

May 18, 2006
Waukee, IA
What is wrong with going after the top names? Thats what the Cubs decided to do this offseason and they paid the money needed to get those people. Signing the #1 Free Agent in Soriano and resigning Ramirez. They may have "overpaid" for Lilly and Marquis but they went after who would fill some holes in the rotation.

They are not trying to buy a championship they are ust trying to get the best players possible to fill the holes in the line-up from last year. I do not see anything wrong with that!

jpete24

SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Did I say something was wrong with that? I think Soriano was a good move, but I'm making two points.
1) Cubs have spent too much money IN general.
2)MOST Cubs and Hawkeye fans have a similar attitude about their team.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I've watched Zambrano a long time. Last year he had a decent year, but he's been pretty darn inconsistent most of his career.

I don't blame the Cubs for not wanting to get locked into a long term deal with him.

It will be interesting to see what they end up negotiating.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
I know I have said this before. The only reason that I see the Cubs spending the money on Lilly and Marquis is because they needed guys with experience; and there were not that many out there this offseason without having to spend even bigger cash than what they did. These guys could pan out really well and be worth the money we spent, or be a bust and a waist of money. This unfortunately is the risk. But instead of being in the boat that they were in last year with 4 out of 5 of the pitchers being rookies, they spent some money that others might not have on the certain players they got.

I know I would rather over pay Marquis and have him be the starter than rely on the arm of Guzman or Maeto(?). This I actually think was a very smart move for the Cubs.

Next topic I will save for another write up, but I really see great things from this team. If it all falls in place, and that damn Billy Goat stays away, this team can make a run at the playoffs. They are better built offensively that the last two years. Pitching is in the rebuilding, but if you take the skills of Big Z, the good days of Hill, 2004 season of Marquis, a healthy Prior, and a carreer year of Lilly, you will have an outstanding pitching corps. The bullpen has the potential to really be one of the best in the league.

This shall be an exciting year, or a very, very disappointing one.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I know I have said this before. The only reason that I see the Cubs spending the money on Lilly and Marquis is because they needed guys with experience; and there were not that many out there this offseason without having to spend even bigger cash than what they did. These guys could pan out really well and be worth the money we spent, or be a bust and a waist of money. This unfortunately is the risk. But instead of being in the boat that they were in last year with 4 out of 5 of the pitchers being rookies, they spent some money that others might not have on the certain players they got.

I know I would rather over pay Marquis and have him be the starter than rely on the arm of Guzman or Maeto(?). This I actually think was a very smart move for the Cubs.

Next topic I will save for another write up, but I really see great things from this team. If it all falls in place, and that damn Billy Goat stays away, this team can make a run at the playoffs. They are better built offensively that the last two years. Pitching is in the rebuilding, but if you take the skills of Big Z, the good days of Hill, 2004 season of Marquis, a healthy Prior, and a carreer year of Lilly, you will have an outstanding pitching corps. The bullpen has the potential to really be one of the best in the league.

This shall be an exciting year, or a very, very disappointing one.

Don't forget Deric Lee is back which is huge...Hopefully he's still swinging in the zone and the injury didn't do long term damage.