Zack Spears

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Just heard a 15 minute interview of his on KXNO. This is the first interview I've heard of his but he made absolutely zero sense.

He started out fine, saying that it hurts recruiting when fans leave early. Saying one big advantage ISU has over other schools are the fan dedication. I was actually feeling a little guilty at that point.

Then he said the following:

i turned of the tv at half
i don't like spending money on tickets
If I was in the area I probably wouldn't have gone since they were playing OU.

Is he he always like this?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Just heard a 15 minute interview of his on KXNO. This is the first interview I've heard of his but he made absolutely zero sense.

He started out fine, saying that it hurts recruiting when fans leave early. Saying one big advantage ISU has over other schools are the fan dedication. I was actually feeling a little guilty at that point.

Yeah I agree. Don't dog on me because I left at the half. My football tickets every year cost $2500 (the product is not worth that), and he then says he does not like to pay for tickets?

I heard that also, and I was yelling at the radio on the way home.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013

I agreed with him a little bit yesterday saying how the fans leaving could cause negative results but him bagging on ISU fans for leaving at half and then have him go on to say that he wouldn't have even gone or bought a ticket made no sense.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Yeah, I just got home and was going to post about this as well. He started off making sense until he said he shut the TV off at halftime. Well, guess what?! That's what we fans were doing when we left at halftime! We were shutting it off! Then talking about how he hasn't spent money on tickets in years and he doesn't like spending money on tickets at all just had me chuckling. He completely discredited his own opinions from the beginning of the segment when he made those comments.

Best part was that you could tell Ken Miller was scrunching his face up in confusion while listening but he couldn't drill the guy on it.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Near the start of the fourth quarter, the number of students filled less than a quarter/fifth of their allotted area. More old farts had stayed.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Zach is a funny guy and I love his insight into the program while he was there but he is extremely biased towards Texas and more importantly towards his friends.

This wouldn't be a big deal but he almost only reports on his friends. He tries to be an insider reporter, but then sides with his friends on every issue.

He started the whole Gannon firestorm by reporting he was just burnt out and then went on twitter defending him saying people didn't know the whole story. I mean, he reported the story!

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I'm usually not one to dog on radio people, but Spears has never impressed me. I feel like he has a "I know more and am better then you" attitude towards everything. I literally laughed out loud when he said that today, especially when he has done nothing but defend his stance on Twitter the last 24 hours and then came out and admitted, as a former player, he gave up on the game.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I find him funny on the Barely Audible podcast with Arnaud and Woody. But yes, that seems to be his typical self.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
He's definitely not very bright. And I know he's reading this thread.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I'm sure the fans leaving early hurts recruiting almost as much as getting drilled on the field.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA

I'm just amazed how he can question the fan support after ISU has gone 1-10 or something at home the past two years and not acknowledge how great the fans are with even the most mediocre amount of success.

And then when he said the reason we couldn't get 4 and 5 star recruits was due to fan support, I was just like, "Wut?"

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever and shows a total lack of awareness towards the entire college football landscape especially for someone who ******* played at ISU like two years ago!

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX

Was going to post this. I think he's on here quite a bit.

Hard to hate on ISU fans, don't bite the hand that feeds you. When we think a bowl game is a successful season, we don't ask for much, especially out of the football program, yet we still show up in droves in crappy weather and a crappy team.

For him to turn the team's poor performance into a bashing of the fans is completely asinine. We don't get 4 and 5 star recruits because we are not a good football school. Yet our fans come out better than some top tier schools.

You can never put a 59-14 whooping on the fans. Try the effort, execution, and talent of our team. It's just a former player trying to shield blame on the shrine that is ISU football.

But to question his fandom, I live in the same city he does and make it to as many games as I can. I watch all the games, no matter how painful. So what am I doing wrong? Do I need to get season tickets and fly up every game? IM SORRY IOWA STATE!

bigB

May 30, 2008
I'm just amazed how he can question the fan support after ISU has gone 1-10 or something at home the past two years and not acknowledge how great the fans are with even the most mediocre amount of success.

I agree...he is all wet on this one. ISU fans have continued to pay up and show up and been rewarded with two home victories over the last two years (to date). We've shown up for a program that doesn't really deserve it ...

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
I mean they don't do 60 million dollar renovations and adding 8k (?) seats because we have bad fan support. I could be wrong.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
I actually don't mind Spears at all. He's always honest about stuff (which is fun but sometimes odd) and i too enjoy the barely audible podcast. At least he doesn't usually just rehash the same stuff over and over.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Spears' insight into what is actually happening in games is pretty good. He knows his stuff. But I don't know why you'd call out fans for leaving a game they're getting absolutely *********** in. Also, I doubt he would usually need to buy tickets being that he probably gets a media pass.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I could care less for his iowa state commentary... His calling out of fans leaving was weak and a ***** move. Stick to cowboys, Boston college, and young girls tweeting at ya pal. Suits you better.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I could care less for his iowa state commentary... His calling out of fans leaving was weak and a ***** move. Stick to cowboys, Boston college, and young girls tweeting at ya pal. Suits you better.

Just for the record I think that's Jared Barnett's sister. Zach is friends with Barnett. I think he was pretty vocal about Barnett being a better QB than SR when the switch happened but I'm not 100%.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron