Yuengling

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
This. All of this. Yuengling isn't the best beer ever. But it's a lot better than the beers it's priced alongside.

Down here, it's cheaper than Bud/Miller/Coors/Etc. If that's what I'm in the mood for, it's going to be Yuengling.

I did go crazy with it when we first moved and I discovered you could get it here, so it's been a while since I've had it.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Shiner Bock is the best of bad beers

Them's fightin' words.

c8eac4fb4ec5fb800a8541671cba3801--shiner-bock-calvin-klein-jeans.jpg

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
It may indeed be the GOAT of bad beers. However, it would be more accurate to call it the "Original Ordinary Beer." One should drink it out of respect for its history as the oldest brewery in America (and fine quality if you like ordinary beers), but don't drink it and expect a craft beer experience. I've paid my dues and had it a few times when in Pennsylvania and feeling historic, but I would never do so when other craft beers were available.
What the Fresno is a "craft beer experience"

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I love Yuengling like I love few things in my life. I plan to drink it in mass quantities.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Yuengling is to beer what In and Out is to fast food. Good, but way overhyped.
I wouldn't say over hyped because both of what you listed are great deals at their price point.
An over hyped beer: Stella Artois. An over hyped burger: Carl's Jr.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I've toured the Yuengling brewery in PA before. Incredibly historic. What most people would call their standard beer (Amber) has only been produced since like the 80s. I guess it was some way old recipe they had that was locked up for a long, long time.
Yuengling family still runs it. Currently the dad has like 4 daughters who day all of the day to day.
They ship a lot of beer to military bases throughout the world for soldiers.
Love their black&tan. Even the Premium (gold can) is great.

Pretty funny story about prohibition, when it was repealed, and legal again, at like 12:01 AM a Yuengling semi rolled up to the DC Capitol to hand out to Congress. They make it very well known they were brewing the whole time, and also had a huge dairy to supplement income.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
And RR is just blah. I haven't had it in a long time (pre InBev) so they probably made it tasteless.

It surprises me that people have so much disdain for InBev. They help bring good beer all over the country.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I have had a couple, and would agree with a lot of the posters: it is pretty good for a light drinking beer. Certainly better than a lot of the beers in it's price range, but not the best beer ever.

The thing about beer is that it comes is so many forms and flavors it is hard to claim one is supremely better than all others. It seems easier to identify things to avoid.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
What the Fresno is a "craft beer experience"

It's not hard to find at all anymore. It's drinking a lot of mediocre to bad beers to find a few that are pretty good. It's also finding a style of beer you like, only to find out that other people like it, so you now have to **** all over that style of beer that you used to like. Oh and first and foremost, if a beer isn't brewed by an independently owned craft brewery, you have to declare it bad beer.

I brew my own beer regularly, I hit a lot of craft breweries and grab anything new that shows up in the stores. I have definitely had a lot more "Bad" craft beers than I have ever had a bad Miller, Yuengling, etc.

Of the mass produced American Lagers, I find Yuengling to be quite enjoyable. I often wonder, of all the people that call this beer bad or that beer bad, how many actually enjoy a nice crisp Lager beer. Even a lot of german styles are just lightly hopped, pilsner malt only beers, brewed, then stored cold, to actually remove as much of the yeast character as possible. Now they filter, but a traditional pilsner beer wasn't meant to be anything more than a clean, refreshing drinking experience.

Certain beers may not be your choice, but it doesn't mean they are bad. I've hated almost every sour beer I've ever tried. I can't stand any beers that add fruit to them, doesn't mean they are bad, just means I don't like them. I usually only call a beer bad if it has off flavors compared to the style it's supposed to be. And as I've said, I've had a lot more of those in the "Craft Beer Experience" Than I ever did buying a mass produced lager.