Youth of the Big XII

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I agree. Also, we can rip on Colorado all we want, but they're building a practice facility and are stepping up their recruiting game. Not saying it's anything to be worried about yet, but they are a program that's hoping to do bigger things in basketball than they have before...

Colorado should really look into the Grinnel offense. Could you imagine making teams run at that altitude?

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
How would this look if you counted it as years in the system or something like that. Then, Petey and SH would only count as sophomores. Even though they're seniors, they haven't exactly had 3 years of D1 ball behind them.

But, ultimately, you're right. We need to win, and even more so, we need some recruits.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
How would this look if you counted it as years in the system or something like that. Then, Petey and SH would only count as sophomores. Even though they're seniors, they haven't exactly had 3 years of D1 ball behind them.

I don't really see this as valid... A senior is a senior, especially if they are starting...

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I hate this attitude. It's like "if it's in the South, then its ok since we don't play them much"...

If you have that mentality, we're going to be hovering between 6-9 in the conference every year.

You need to have the goal to be good enough to play anyone competitivley any night, especially in basketball....

I'm pretty sure my mentality towards our team has absolutely nothing to do with how the team performs.

Whether you like it or not, schedules play a HUGE part in the success of teams. You see it everywhere...college football, college basketball, the NFL, MLB, etc. If it is bad that I want Iowa State to have the best possibility of succedding, then so be it.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I dont care what other teams bring in for "starred, rated" talent. We have beat them in the past and we will again.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
Another bright side, IMO, is that our most "talented" players are all young guys. I don't mean to disrespect Petey and Haluska, because they are solid players whose experience is invaluable and will be MAJOR contributors this year, but our young guys who have more "raw talent" will be experienced by next year, so I think we'll be able to replace our seniors pretty well.

Of course, the more experienced competition will be a factor as well.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I dont care what other teams bring in for "starred, rated" talent. We have beat them in the past and we will again.

I hear people say this sometimes but there is a reason why KU and UT are at the top of the conference year in and year out - they get "starred, rated" talent.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I hear people say this sometimes but there is a reason why KU and UT are at the top of the conference year in and year out - they get "starred, rated" talent.

I get that. I do. But why is it they lose to teams like us who dont drink from the golden cup year in and year out. We have high profile recruits seriously looking at us, now we just need to start winning with what we have to get them to have a reason for them to committ.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Interesting stats, it shows a couple of things:

1.) cybsball20, you have a lot of time on your hands! :notworthy:
2.) It could be one reason we were able to come back on Friday night

I only got to watch the Saturday and Sunday games, but I was overall impressed with JVB and Hamilton. I will not be a bit surprised if Thompson is playing less than 10 minutes a game by the time we get to conference play. I do think that Petey and SH will be playing quite a bit all year in the 2 spot, and Lucca will clearly take over the the 3 spot.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised and look forward to how this team gets better over the year.

Thanks for the work looking all this info up for us!

First off, at this point, what does Hamilton get us that Thompson doesn't? I think Hamilton will get more playing time, but not to the extent that he plays more than Alex. Alex will see playing time against strong inside guys and the smaller athletic inside guys. Hamilton will be on the bench when we face the smaller, athletic post players.

I think we should keep the same starting lineup the whole year. It really gives us options off the bench. If you want to sub in Wes for Petey, fine. With they way it is now, we can start off pounding it inside to Brackins with Petey and Haluska as decent outside shooters. Then you can bring in Wes, Lucca and JVB to light it up. It really gives the second unit some scoring punch.

I do think Petey's minutes will dwindle closer to the 15-20 minute mark like we saw in game 1. He only played 25 minutes in game 2 as well. I don't think it really matters all that much if he starts.

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
I'm pretty sure my mentality towards our team has absolutely nothing to do with how the team performs.

Whether you like it or not, schedules play a HUGE part in the success of teams. You see it everywhere...college football, college basketball, the NFL, MLB, etc. If it is bad that I want Iowa State to have the best possibility of succedding, then so be it.

That doesn't work for basketball though. With a tourney in which teams get picked (other than winning the conference outright), you need to have a good RPI and a good record to get selected. If we were to win 20 games this year, I'd bet we'd be one of the lowest RPI 20 win teams