You're all looking at this the wrong way

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Is that if they leave on a moment's notice, or no matter what?

For example, if Nebraska accepted a Big 10 invitation in 2010, but told the Big 10/Big XII that they're not going to change conferences until 2012, do they still have to pay the buy-out after giving 2-years notice?

Just curious how that all works.

I believe the schools are locked in under agreements with the Big XII but I have no idea if there is a date when that expires and they have to renew or what. I had just heard that if a school bails on the Big XII it will cost them 9 million to do it.

CycloneNC2015

Jul 28, 2009
Urbandale
There wouldn't be any benefit in them doing that if they weren't leaving... all they'd accomplish is screwing themselves out of the exit fees

would the baptists do that just to prove a point?

If TU makes a backroom deal with them you bet they would. I think some of us around here are forgetting who we are dealing with. Never underestimate the power of the dark side.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
There wouldn't be any benefit in them doing that if they weren't leaving... all they'd accomplish is screwing themselves out of the exit fees

would the baptists do that just to prove a point?

Does the Pope wear a funny...never mind...

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Through this whole thing, I was wondering how plausible it would be for the ISU, KU, K-State and CU to form up a new BigXII where the revenue is shared equally and everyone has a say. What if Nebraska and Mizzou join as well and we have more of a Big8 feel instead of Gordon Gekko, Wall Street smarmyness.

That way Nebraska could be king of the hill again and we'd maintain a majority of our old rivalries. This scinario would blindside people and be hilariously entertaining.

I'm definitely hoping for Nebraska & Mizzou to stay put but then somehow the Texas group still bails on us. We restructure the revenue sharing, add the Utah schools along with Cincinnati/Houston/Memphis and there you go. Or maybe only add BYU and Utah and leave it at 8. I think I'm dreaming.

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
This does bring up an interesting point.

If mass exodus does occur, what are the legal obligations the exiting institutions have to pay the break fee? (can the remaining members actually enforce it?)

If you have ISU, KU, KSU, Baylor as the remaining parties, you have $72M to split between the 4. (is that really possible?)

Then the remaining members would actually have some sway. I say pocket the $72M and invite the left overs from the MWC and steal a few Big East teams. Then the conf. would keep BCS status and ISU would be $18M richer for doing nothing.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
If TU makes a backroom deal with them you bet they would. I think some of us around here are forgetting who we are dealing with. Never underestimate the power of the dark side.

I would be interested in what deal UT would make? It would have to be at least 18 million, so unless UT convinces another university to join in, it would just be cheaper to pay the $9 million exit fee.
Perhaps ISU could offer the departing 8 schools a deal of 50 million for its vote to disband, ha ha.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I'm definitely hoping for Nebraska & Mizzou to stay put but then somehow the Texas group still bails on us. We restructure the revenue sharing, add the Utah schools along with Cincinnati/Houston/Memphis and there you go. Or maybe only add BYU and Utah and leave it at 8. I think I'm dreaming.

This wouldn't benefit us at all. Even with full revenue sharing, with that conference our TV contract would be so bad we would end up making less than we make today.

CycloneNC2015

Jul 28, 2009
Urbandale
I would be interested in what deal UT would make? It would have to be at least 20 million, so unless UT convinces 2 other universities to join in, it would just be cheaper to pay the $9 million exit fee.
Perhaps ISU could offer the departing 8 schools a deal of 50 million for its vote to disband, ha ha.

Who says TU wont convice congressional leaders to give more funding to BU for research or other things they may have been asking for. There are numerous options that dont exactly call for money going from TU's bank account to BU's. In Tejas everything is interconnected and there are "ways" to get what you want.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Who says TU wont convice congressional leaders to give more funding to BU for research or other things they may have been asking for. There are numerous options that dont exactly call for money going from TU's bank account to BU's. In Tejas everything is interconnected and there are "ways" to get what you want.

How much state funding does a private school get?
It take resources to make those deals...it is cheaper for UT to spend 9 million.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
The key for the success is OU. If we can entice OU to stay in the Big 12, we'll be fine. OU would love the idea in my opinion: They won't have to beat Texas to go to BCS game.
The other Texas teams might be interested to stay (A&M and TTU: I don't care about Baylor): Beat OU once and beat Big 12 North champ (which they think should be easily doable) and go to BCS game.
Oh don't forget the revenue sharing program: Texas won't bite the largest chunk of the Division revenue

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
This wouldn't benefit us at all. Even with full revenue sharing, with that conference our TV contract would be so bad we would end up making less than we make today.

Compared to other options, it would be in our best interests to rebuild with the surviving B12 members.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
The key for the success is OU. If we can entice OU to stay in the Big 12, we'll be fine. OU would love the idea in my opinion: They won't have to beat Texas to go to BCS game.
The other Texas teams might be interested to stay (A&M and TTU: I don't care about Baylor): Beat OU once and beat Big 12 North champ (which they think should be easily doable) and go to BCS game.
Oh don't forget the revenue sharing program: Texas won't bite the largest chunk of the Division revenue

Yes, if you could convince OU, A$M, TT, and maybe Arkansas that they would be the Big Dog of the new Big 12, it would be great for ISU. Maybe grab BYU, Utah, TCU etc.
I do not see that happening.

CycloneNC2015

Jul 28, 2009
Urbandale
How much state funding does a private school get?
It take resources to make those deals...it is cheaper for UT to spend 9 million.

Not if you can get someone else to pay for it. All I am saying is I wouldnt doubt there is a way out of it.

Another scenerio would be if the South went to the Pac10, NU/MU to the Big10 and CU to the MWC, that would be nine teams.

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
I don't know why 99% of the posts on here are relating to how we need to find a new conference... you're looking at this the wrong way, people; grab life by the balls... BALLS

We'll assume the PAC10 + 6 and NU/MU to big 10 scenarios are correct. Here's what Pollard should be doing right now:

1. Collect exit fees from the 8 schools departing; throw party
  2. Apply war paint
  3. Contact KU/KSU presidents and ADs; maybe Colorado if they're the odd man out... if it's baylor, ignore them.
  4. With the support of the other ADs, tar and feather dan "cool underpressure" beebe, kick him out of the conference
  5. Assign chris williams as new commissioner. Position will be referred to as "Kommisar" from this point out.
  6. Send invites to top 8 MWC/Big East schools to regain our 12 school structure; no point in throwing out the history of the big 12 or any of its intellectual property.
  7. Once our feet are once again under us, since the conference owns the big 16 moniker (I believe), invite another 4 from out east to form the first 16 team MEGA-conference.
  8. Drink, dance, and enjoy life

PROBLEM SOLVED

Crack is bad, umkay.

linkshero

May 22, 2008
Ames
Through this whole thing, I was wondering how plausible it would be for the ISU, KU, K-State and CU to form up a new BigXII where the revenue is shared equally and everyone has a say. What if Nebraska and Mizzou join as well and we have more of a Big8 feel instead of Gordon Gekko, Wall Street smarmyness.

That way Nebraska could be king of the hill again and we'd maintain a majority of our old rivalries. This scinario would blindside people and be hilariously entertaining.

Spend 10 seconds on any Nebraska board, or 20 seconds listening to sports radio in central Iowa, and you will realize how hysterically funny that is. Nebraska, their fans, lawmakers, and population are already spending the money they calculate they are going to get from the Big 10. In fact, I believe Osborn has been intentionally stirring the pot with Texas for some time to help facilitate this deal.
The only Reason their helmets don't already have a NB10$ on them is because they have not officially secured and invite.

As far as Missouri, their fans won't even know they switched conferences until they find out KU isn't on the schedule.....

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Not if you can get someone else to pay for it. All I am saying is I wouldnt doubt there is a way out of it.

Another scenerio would be if the South went to the Pac10, NU/MU to the Big10 and CU to the MWC, that would be nine teams.

UT would likely never be the one paying the 9 million -there are many ways UT could get around writing the check. It does not make sense for UT to ask for at least an 18 million dollar "favor" when all they need is a 9 million dollar "favor".

Last edited:

CyRp2013

Nov 4, 2009
I haven't been around for a while and I was wondering if all these teams leave the Big 12, when will it take affect?

CycloneNC2015

Jul 28, 2009
Urbandale
I haven't been around for a while and I was wondering if all these teams leave the Big 12, when will it take affect?

Thats the million dollar question. We dont even know for sure if this will happen let alone when. That will be one we have to wait and see when all the dust settles.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
I believe the schools are locked in under agreements with the Big XII but I have no idea if there is a date when that expires and they have to renew or what. I had just heard that if a school bails on the Big XII it will cost them 9 million to do it.
Plus half of all TV revenue until they leave.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
http://www.big12sports.com/fls/10410/pdfs/handbook/Bylaws.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=10410

Big 12 bylaws:

1.5.2(b)(1)
75% vote (9 as it is) is required to amend the bylaws which include the buy out

Sections 3.2 and 3.3 outline the financial consequences of withdrawing:

It boils down to needing to know when the current big 12 contract term expires (the link is for an outdated set of bylaws, which is likely the same in the withdrawl area, but we need to know when the current agreement is good until). The payout is based on how much notice the conference is given.

Example if the current term ended July 2012 it would be 50% of their share of conference revenue from July 2010-July 2012.

Payout based on when notice is given:
>2 years 50% of Big 12 revenue share for 2 years prior to end of term
>18 months 70% of Big 12 revenue share for 2 years prior to end of term
>12 months 80% of Big 12 revenue share for 2 years prior to end of term
>6 months 90% of Big 12 revenue share for 2 years prior to end of term
<6 months 100% of Big 12 revenue share for 2 years prior to end of term