Your top 3 favorite / most influential albums!

Jacktronic

MONDAYTUESDAYWEDNESDAYTHURSDAYFRIDAYSATURDAYSUNDAY
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 16, 2013
Kansas City, MO
As with many others, music is a huge part of my life. Looking back, I associate certain periods of my life with specific releases by my favorite artists. A friend asked me a few months ago what my favorite / most important albums were, and without any hesitation I could name the top 3:

1) Narrow Stairs - Death Cab for Cutie: It was the summer of 2008, and I had recently gone through a rough breakup with a girl who I had been with throughout college and graduate school. I had moved out of the state for the summer to work in Portland, Oregon, live an ascetic lifestyle, and "find myself". DCFC may be my favorite band of all time, and those songs really helped me through that summer. Even now when I listen to it I'm brought back to those days in the Pacific NW.

2) My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Kanye West: A narrow second to DCFC, one of the greatest rap albums ever produced in my humble opinion. MBDTF really opened up the rap genre for me. Prior to this I never had a ton of interest in it, but once I listened to this straight through, it blew my mind. Another album that dominated my summer (2011). Big Yeezy fan now.

3) Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind: Technically, the first CDs I ever received were Insomniac by Green Day and Evolution by Boyz II Men. However, this album was the first that I can remember specifically going out and purchasing because I wanted it. Haven't listened to it? Go do it right now. It is an alternative / pop masterpiece. Not one bad song on the entire record. It is what got me hooked on music. Also, Semi Charmed Life is my go to karaoke song when I'm feeling it.

I'd like to know what your top 3 most favorite / influential albums are! Share as much, or as little, information as to why as you'd like. The more music you hear about, the more you can experience.

Let's hear it!

Edit: I redid a search and found some older threads similar to this one. Hopefully this post isn't too overdone.

Last edited:

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
As with many others, music is a huge part of my life. Looking back, I associate certain periods of my life with specific releases by my favorite artists. A friend asked me a few months ago what my favorite / most important albums were, and without any hesitation I could name the top 3:

1) Narrow Stairs - Death Cab for Cutie: It was the summer of 2008, and I had recently gone through a rough breakup with a girl who I had been with throughout college and graduate school. I had moved out of the state for the summer to work in Portland, Oregon, live an ascetic lifestyle, and "find myself". DCFC may be my favorite band of all time, and those songs really helped me through that summer. Even now when I listen to it I'm brought back to those days in the Pacific NW.

2) My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Kanye West: A narrow second to DCFC, one of the greatest rap albums ever produced in my humble opinion. MBDTF really opened up the rap genre for me. Prior to this I never had a ton of interest in it, but once I listened to this straight through, it blew my mind. Another album that dominated my summer (2011). Big Yeezy fan now.

3) Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind: Technically, the first CDs I ever received were Insomniac by Green Day and Evolution by Boyz II Men. However, this album was the first that I can remember specifically going out and purchasing because I wanted it. Haven't listened to it? Go do it right now. It is an alternative / pop masterpiece. Not one bad song on the entire record. It is what got me hooked on music. Also, Semi Charmed Life is my go to karaoke song when I'm feeling it.

I'd like to know what your top 3 most favorite / influential albums are! Share as much, or as little, information as to why as you'd like. The more music you hear about, the more you can experience.

Let's hear it!

Edit: I redid a search and found some older threads similar to this one. Hopefully this post isn't too overdone.

Third Eye Blind is one of my all-time favorites, and I can't even stand to listen to "Jumper" or "How's It Going To Be". So many good songs ("Losing a Whole Year", "I Want You", "Motorcycle Drive-By", "God of Wine"). For a commercially successful album, I consider it vastly underrated artistically.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
The 3 albums I've probably listened to the most, cover to cover:

The Who - Who's Next
The Black Crowes - Shake Your Moneymaker
Wilco - Being There (Disc 1 only, disc 2 didn't really grab me)

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It shows my advancing age more than anything, but I can't even definitively pinpoint my top 3 rank among albums by The Beatles. Or to jump ahead, finding the top 10 most personally influential albums between, say, 1985 and 1994.

Even so, I would consider embarking on this challenge. This process could take a few weeks.

It almost always does.

:smile:

I do like the OP's summary of each choice. Self-awareness meets music-listening experience.

Bamacyclone

Jan 7, 2012
SE
Impossible to name just 3, but some favorites that would be at the top:

Led Zep 3 and 4
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of Moon
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
Who - Quadrophenia
Beatles - Abbey Road
Smiths - Strangeways
BoDeans - Black and White
Cars - First album and Candy-O
Gino Vanelli - Black Cars
Roxy Music - Siren

To name a few.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
since you're making me pick three...

Lateralus by Tool
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx by Raekwon
Sweet Tea by Buddy Guy

Reactions: Cyclone06

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life
Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet
De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Alice in Chains - Unplugged
Mad Season - Above

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Springsteen - Tunnel of Love
Springsteen - Nebraska
Springsteen - The River

Boring to select only 1 artist I know...but that is how I feel...I love music of all sorts...but when it comes to my favorite albums...the list could go a few more slots past 3 and it still might be all Springsteen. Also, if you asked me this same question tomorrow I might have a different answer but "Tunnel" is always on top for me!

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Van Halen - 1984
Boston - Third Stage
Reggie & The Full Effect - No Country For Old Musicians

My criteria is based on albums that I can still listen to and not skip a single song.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
This is tough because so much of music isn't consumed by albums these days. These are definitely rooted in my youth so not what I listen to alot now but shaped who I am.

Oasis - Be Here Now (1997)
New Found Glory - New Found Glory (2000)
Starting Line - Say It Like You Mean It (2002)

Reactions: Cyclonick182

rob05

Apr 14, 2006
Ankeny
Tough to pick my 3 favorite, so I'll go by time frames/influence.

Korn - Follow the Leader (angry, early teen years). Pretty much all Nu Rock sound at that time helped during my awkward early teen years.
Dr. Dre - 2001 (Early HS). You could throw Eminem in here too but I can go pretty much word for word with this album. Again it helped during my awkward years.
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon. I've been listening to classic rock for years, but truly appreciated this alum when I got to college :)

Now picking my top 3 concerts I've seen live would be impossible to pick. Many great acts/shows out there.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Third Eye Blind is one of my all-time favorites, and I can't even stand to listen to "Jumper" or "How's It Going To Be". So many good songs ("Losing a Whole Year", "I Want You", "Motorcycle Drive-By", "God of Wine"). For a commercially successful album, I consider it vastly underrated artistically.

Ive actually enjoyed all of their albums. Blue was my least favorite, but Out of the Vein was pretty damn good as a followup

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
1. Wagner "Der Ring des Nibelungen"
2. Beethoven Symphony #6 "Pastoral"
3. Emerson, Lake and Palmer "Brain Salad Surgery"

Reactions: CYCLNST8

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
Bruce Springsteen - The River
Dire Straits - Alchemy
Jackson Browne - Late For The Sky

Bruce for pure rock & roll
Dire Straits for musicianship
Jackson Browne for songwriting

Last edited:

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon. And it sounds like most everyone agrees on that too.

Guns n Roses - Appetite For Destruction. Most likely the first full album of classic rock I had listened to. Really opened me up to everything from there.

Eminem - Marshall Mathers LP/The Eminem Show. Got these albums at the same time when I was a kid and definitely wasn't supposed to have them either.