Your top 10 ISU football plays

tysforcy

Sep 3, 2008
Des Moines
Phillip Bates catch against Iowa that set up the game winning FG. Or Shaggy's 5 FG's against Iowa, just so we can say "How many TD's does it take to beat the Hawks?"

Nov 9, 2009
Ames
I'm trying to come up with some differences from TejasClone but would only add that the whole Tech v. ISU game from 2010 was awesome.

The first time I've ever seen ISU put up 52 points against a team from the South and that includes baylor. AND, Tech was a bowl team last year.

Johnson's Kansas Juke from 2010 also was sweet.

Also the come from behind win at Iowa with Seneca when down like 28 - 7 at the half. Not a play, but still amazing.

How about:
1. Lenz TD catch vs. Texas 2010
2. Micheal O'Connell interception vs. Texas while wearing a cast on one hand, in the end zone 2010
3. Leonard Johnson tip toe the out of bounds interception vs. Texas 2010
4. Collin Franklin TD reception vs. Texas 2010
5. Shontrelle Johnson Juke Run vs. Kansas 2010
6. Tuba Rubin TD Rumble.
7. Tackle Scott Haughton running for a TD in 2009 vs Missouri. It was an awesome trick play.
8. Jerome Tiller wobbler to Jake Williams Hail Cyclones TD pass vs. Nebraska 2009
9. Kirby Van der Kamp first down run fake punt vs. Nebraska 2009
10. Kirby Van der Kamp onside kick vs. Texas 2010. Textbook kick-pass right into ISU players hands after going 10 yards, had everyone in stadium faked out.

I don't believe Franklin scored a TD in that game. The four scores came from Lenz, Reynolds, and ARob (2) iirc.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
1981 Dwayne Crutchfield vs Iowa. 40 yd run to start the game

1992, not one play but Ty Stewart's 4 fg (all in 1st half) vs Nebraska, then finalized by Seiler's run

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
1. Jesse Smith INT v. Nebraska in 2009
2. The Run, 2002
3. Marvelous Marvin Seiler, 1992
4. LaMarcus Hicks' pick 6, Iowa in 2005
5. JaMaine Billups PR TD v. Pitt 2000
6. Arnaud's bomb to Jake Williams v. Minnesota in 2009
7. Meyer's bomb to Jon Davis v. Nebraska in 2004
8. Josh Lenz's TD grab v. Texas in 2010
9. Steve Paris's FR TD v. Colorado in 2005
10. Culbertson's game winning FG against Iowa in 2007

Although that play sealed the game, I believe that the Phillip Bates catch is better than the kick. Heck, that could even be good enough to go higher up on the top 10.

I remember being there and thinking; If we could have only scored a damn touchdown we wouldnt be down by a freakin point.

ShopTalk

Dec 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Also love The Run - but I especially love Wagner's second block which sprung Wallace free for the TD. He flat out laid out that TT defender.

I was thinking the same thing - without that block, it just doesn't happen with a score. And that was a hit he didn't see coming. I just couldn't remember Wagner's name to add it.

Last edited:

ShopTalk

Dec 13, 2008
Houston, TX
maybe he meant to put tech at the end

Did I say my memory sucks? That is the play I was thinking about.

And thanks for correcting the on-side and punt runs - you at least knew which plays I was talking about. Fixed in original post.

Last edited:

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
The play at Clyde Williams in 71-74 time frame when an okie state player came off the bench to tackle our player as he ran down the sideline -- a TD was "awarded" -- don't see that too often

Willie Jones's catch to tie NU in 71 or 72

Some tackles that Matt Blair made and the other team's players never got up.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
Seneca Wallace Run vs. Tech
Troy Davis breaking 2000
Troy Davis breaking 2000 again
Troy Davis getting flagged for Heisman pose after TD against K-State
Fake that set up only TD against Nebraska in 9-7 win
All 26 Nebraska turnovers in siad game above
Chris Pedersen TD pas to ???? against Oklahoma in 1990 to win game

brother bob

Feb 20, 2008
7 Seas of Rhye
Seneca Wallace Run vs. Tech
Troy Davis breaking 2000
Troy Davis breaking 2000 again
Troy Davis getting flagged for Heisman pose after TD against K-State
Fake that set up only TD against Nebraska in 9-7 win
All 26 Nebraska turnovers in siad game above
Chris Pedersen TD pas to ???? against Oklahoma in 1990 to win game

I thought it was a qb sneak that gave us the win...or am I mistaken?

Here are some from a few years back...and I do mean a few years back!

Luther Blue's 95 yard kick off return vs. nebby in '76.
Dexter Green's 60+ yard td run (ended up rushing for 214) to open the game vs mizery on a gimpy leg also in '76.
Walter Grant's touchdown bomb on the first play of the second quarter to blank the hoks 31-0 in '78.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Who's in charge of Video productions for ISU Football? We'd like a YouTube video please! Or even add to your FB countdown on the official website please! And we want ALL the suggestions....let us know and we'll come up with a few more.:smile:

This'd be a cool idea. Fanatic could somehow compile lists and come up with a rough consensus.

I see a lot of commonality from '90s-to-present ... a few prior to that. Would be good to have a balance (finding video clips would be more challenging the further back we go, of course).

ShopTalk

Dec 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I would add that big hits, sacks, goal line, 3rd or 4th down defensive stands haven't made the list be we'd love to see them again on video.

They make up key plays but are somehow harder to remember probably because they don't directly or immediately lead to points.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Does anyone know of a link for video of Curvey's return against Colorado?

It's in here...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw9mSsWFcAw]‪FB: 2005 Plays of the Year (Defense)‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Although that play sealed the game, I believe that the Phillip Bates catch is better than the kick. Heck, that could even be good enough to go higher up on the top 10.

I remember being there and thinking; If we could have only scored a damn touchdown we wouldnt be down by a freakin point.

I put the Culbertson play higher because of how he folded like origami every other time he had been called upon to win a game in his career.

There wasn't one person in Jack Trice that thought "he will hit this kick". Every one was looking at the ground, crossing their fingers, etc.

But that day, Shaggy drilled it. He walked out in front of 50,000 people who had no faith in him whatsoever, and somewhat redeemed himself.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
I thought it was a qb sneak that gave us the win...or am I mistaken?

Here are some from a few years back...and I do mean a few years back!

Yeah, and I think Bret Oberg was playing QB that day.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Yeah, and I think Bret Oberg was playing QB that day.

Oberg was gone (senior in '89). Blaise Bryant didn't play in the 2nd half because of a rib injury.

There was a fake punt (Marv Seiler's first glimpse of glory) to keep a drive alive. Sherman Williams scored a TD. OU missed a chip-shot that would have put them up 7. Pedersen scored the game-winner.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Oberg was gone (senior in '89). Blaise Bryant didn't play in the 2nd half because of a rib injury.

There was a fake punt (Marv Seiler's first glimpse of glory) to keep a drive alive. Sherman Williams scored a TD. OU missed a chip-shot that would have put them up 7. Pedersen scored the game-winner.

Hmmm, I don't know what the hell I was thinking about then. Had it etched in my mind that it was Oberg. Thanks.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron