Your greatest athletic accomplishment?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Was 5 under after 5. Course record was thirty. Missed 3 straight 10 footers for birdie on the next three holes. Shot 31. I think I would have been the 3rd to shoot thirty if just one of them would have fallen. Oh yeah, I was hammered drunk too.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
miniature%20golf.jpg
Was 5 under after 5. Course record was thirty. Missed 3 straight 10 footers for birdie on the next three holes. Shot 31. I think I would have been the 3rd to shoot thirty if just one of them would have fallen. Oh yeah, I was hammered drunk too.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
Bowled a 211 in fifth grade. Intramural basketball champs at ISU. That's about it...

Similar bowling feat...I bowled a 195 left-handed in 6th grade...through the school the bowling alley gave us a pass for one free game a day through the summer, and I was right handed but my dad wouldn't let me bowl right handed in the summer because of baseball so I went left handed :biglaugh:

When I do bowl now I go right handed, and my best there can't touch my left handed 6th grade score :sad:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The girls 7th grade B team at my school lost a basketball game 76-0. That is a feat.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Got in on a crack play during my senior season in football, knocked out a linebacker twice my size.

I also placed 4th in the Drake Relays with the fastest time in 4A in the 400 low hurdles with a school record. I'm the man....well, was the man. A kid (junior) broke my record last year by almost 3 seconds. The kid could very well end up being an Olympian.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Alright fanatics, what's your greatest athletic achievement? Maybe you were all-state water boy or better yet you finally made the varsity cheerleading team your senior year. What ya got?
27 seconds on Wii slalom ski

MB4CY

Aug 29, 2009
Norwalk, IA
Ran lead leg on a 4x400 meter relay team in high school that set a record that I believe still stands 25 years later. We qualified for state, but ran like crap and got smoked badly.

Although barely 6 foot, back then I could take off from one side of the lane, dunk a volleyball, and land on the other side of the lane. Today I probably couldn't jump over the tape they mark the lane with.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
When I started as a lineman, my FB team's record in HS was 19-1-1.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
Toss up between:

-My only homerun in my baseball career, (3-run game ender, mercy rule).
-A diving line drive catch at third base followed with a quick throw from my knees to 1st for a double play. (Had to dump the dirt out of my pants from skidding on the ground after the catch).
-50 yard punt as a 7th grader... go adrenaline and slightly smaller ball...

-I forgot about being our high school Pickle Ball champion... Anyone ever play this? (It was some sort of love child between badminton, squash, tennis, ping pong and wiffle ball... Wooden paddle, low badminton net, wiffle ball, tennis rules).

Last edited:

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
It's a tie between going from playing d-line one year and running cross country the next in high school and rowing in college. Gotta love those 6 am workouts at lied and 530 am practices at Ada Hayden.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot my run around the line and catch the qb from behind sack against waterloo west. But then again, it was against waterloo west in 03, so I rescind mention of the aforementioned sack and stick with rowing as my final answer.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
All I have are high school memories:

Baseball:
- Batted .390 as a freshman (got worse every year after that)
- Struck out 4 times in one game (hit a 3-run HR in my other AB)
- 1st team All Southwest Iowa (OWH) my Sr. year, 3rd team all-state (DMR)

Basketball:
- Played against Jess Settles (jr) and Klay Edwards (so) at the state tourney my freshman year. Got an up close and personal taste of Settles dropping a triple-double on us in a close loss. Finished 3rd that year.
- Last regular season game of Sr. year, I hit 6 threes and scored 24 points, in the first half (other team had 25 points)
- First round of districts Sr. year, scored 20 points in the 4th quarter in a close loss to state tourney qualifier

mullet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 2, 2010
State champ in triple jump in 2002. (I was the only Iowan who did it at a meet in minnesota...but hey I placed 4th there!)

As the greatest athlete to walk the halls of Ames High since the Mayor, I'd say your game winner in '01 to take the i-ball championship trumps any 'triple jump' you may have done.

BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
Madison, WI
All conference tennis, jr and sr doubles and singles. didn't lose a doubles match in 2 years, but had to play singles at sectionals, got 3rd to 2 state place winners at sectionals.

Bumped up to wrestle 152 vs. Denver (ia) to win meet, pretty cool experience, even though we and I sucked pretty bad.

1st in ankeny co-ed softball 2007, 2nd in 2008. Miss those days!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron