Your Favorite Johnny Story

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
A buddy of mine (we'll call him Dave since that's his name) and I got to golf 18 holes with Johnny at a benefit tournament in the summer of '99. When we saw the group assignments I about **** a brick. We stepped up on the tee box and up pulls Johnny in his cart. "Hey Coach. Johnny Orr." I don't know that I've ever said less in a round of golf as I didn't want to waste any time that could be filled with Johnny telling stories. One after another, each one funnier than the last. He treated us like lifelong friends and absolutely made our day.

A different friend of mine who was also an ISU grad was having a party at his house in town that night. About the 15th hole and after several cans of jaw lube we asked Johnny if he'd be willing to stop by the party as there was going to be a lot of Cyclone fans there. He said, "hell yeah, I can stop by for a little bit." Johnny had to give a little talk in the clubhouse after the tournament and the meal. He sat with us for the meal and when it was time to talk he got up front. As always he had the room rolling. After talking for a few minutes he said, "Well, I need to cut this short. I'm hitting a party with my buddies Dave and ca4cy." He thanked the sponsors and everybody for coming out and with that, he came back by the table and we all walked out together in front of the whole crowd. You couldn't have knocked the grin off my face with a 2x4.

Johnny jumps in his car and follows us to the house where the party is. We intentionally park up the street just a little bit so nobody can see us until we come around the corner. It's a nice summer night so everybody is outside and there's probably 20-30 people there. I heard somebody say, "hey who's that with Dave and ca4cy?" Then I hear the guy that lives there say, "THAT'S JOHNNY F'ING ORR!!" It was absolutely awesome! Johnny took pictures with everybody and told stories. He probably only stayed for 15 or 20 minutes, but he made that party memorable for everybody there. He shook our hands when he left and thanked us for a great day.

In my 38 years, I still rank it as my best day that didn't involve my wife or my kids and I've still got the picture of Johnny with my wife and me in my office.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
A buddy of mine (we'll call him Dave since that's his name) and I got to golf 18 holes with Johnny at a benefit tournament in the summer of '99. When we saw the group assignments I about **** a brick. We stepped up on the tee box and up pulls Johnny in his cart. "Hey Coach. Johnny Orr." I don't know that I've ever said less in a round of golf as I didn't want to waste any time that could be filled with Johnny telling stories. One after another, each one funnier than the last. He treated us like lifelong friends and absolutely made our day.

A different friend of mine who was also an ISU grad was having a party at his house in town that night. About the 15th hole and after several cans of jaw lube we asked Johnny if he'd be willing to stop by the party as there was going to be a lot of Cyclone fans there. He said, "hell yeah, I can stop by for a little bit." Johnny had to give a little talk in the clubhouse after the tournament and the meal. He sat with us for the meal and when it was time to talk he got up front. As always he had the room rolling. After talking for a few minutes he said, "Well, I need to cut this short. I'm hitting a party with my buddies Dave and ca4cy." He thanked the sponsors and everybody for coming out and with that, he came back by the table and we all walked out together in front of the whole crowd. You couldn't have knocked the grin off my face with a 2x4.

Johnny jumps in his car and follows us to the house where the party is. We intentionally park up the street just a little bit so nobody can see us until we come around the corner. It's a nice summer night so everybody is outside and there's probably 20-30 people there. I heard somebody say, "hey who's that with Dave and ca4cy?" Then I hear the guy that lives there say, "THAT'S JOHNNY F'ING ORR!!" It was absolutely awesome! Johnny took pictures with everybody and told stories. He probably only stayed for 15 or 20 minutes, but he made that party memorable for everybody there. He shook our hands when he left and thanked us for a great day.

In my 38 years, I still rank it as my best day that didn't involve my wife or my kids and I've still got the picture of Johnny with my wife and me in my office.

Wow! I think we have a winner...

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL

What a freakin awesome story! I especially loved the bolded part as well!

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado

THAT IS AWESOME BABY

One time at basketball camp Johnny let me rub his head. That's all I've got.

cydswipe

Jun 12, 2007
Maquoketa, Iowa
When I was a freshman I was walking on the sidewalk in the fall going to class. Justice Thigpen was walking towards me. I hear a car horn honking and up onto the curb is this light blue '88 Oldsmobile, it's Orr. He is hollering out his window, " Justice! Justice! Get in the car we're gonna be late!" Off they go towards new RCA and Hilton...on the sidewalk, Orr still honking.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006

Awesome story, but I call BS on this part. :)

timappelgate

Apr 9, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
This is from my mom and grandma. My mom was at ISU and wrote for the Daily. She got an interview with Johnny and took my grandma cause she wanted to meet him. So they're are sitting in Hilton after a practice to wait for Orr. My grandma turns and looks down the hallway to the locker rooms and out comes a naked Orr with nothing but a towel around his shoulders. My mom said she has never seen my grandma so red. HAHA.

PKirch

Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
My wife and I both had the opportunity to meet and work with Johnny while undergrads. Years later, at a Greater Des Moines Cyclone Club "Meet the Coaches Night" when Johnny was still coaching, he recognized us, and sat down with us at the bar before the program began. My wife said, "Johnny, you're drinking my brand! I drink Coors Light, too." Johnny said, "Hell, I only drink this s**t because they sponsor my show."

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I pulled up to a golf course in eastern iowa, heart of Hawk country, trying to get 9 in before it got dark during the summer once. My buddy says not to bother paying, just to get on the course. Bewildered I asked why, he said Johnny Orr had the microphone out and was telling stories in the clubhouse and nobody was paying any attention to what was going on. So I walked in anyway, and sure enough, johnny had the microphone, lit up, everyone in the room is dying of laughter.

So we golf 9 holes, go back in and Johnny still has the microphone, and is just has the room by a tail, all hawk fans, everyone dying of laughter, everyone is hammered. And he is just doing one liners, he says "George Raveling, I know you people loved George and was sad when he left, and I was upset too....cause we kicked his *** all the time! But seriously.....great guy, really great guy George was, .....(long pause)...but he was a **** coach man."

Reactions: Prone2Clone

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
I have two:

1. Took a speech communication class at ISU to get my 2 required speechcom credits called Listening Skills. Yes, I was a slacker. So one day, the instructor has Johnny Orr come to talk so we can practice our skills, I guess. I imagine we had to write a report on his talk or something afterwards. Anyway, it was obvious from the beginning that he hadn't prepared one single thing in advance. He was standing uncomfortably at the podium at the front of the lecture hall kind of struggling coming up with a topic. Finally, he pauses for about 6 or 8 seconds. He looks up and says, "I love those Hawks. Boy, I love those Hawks." (pregnant pause) "I love to beat the **** out of them!" And then he blasts that crazy old guy cackle into the mic. Most of the students were on the floor crying with laughter, but I remember a few prudes thinking it was uncalled for.

2. Years later, I was in Columbia, South Carolina on a business trip. At the airport, I see a guy getting a drink at the water fountain. He stands up and I'll be dipped if it isn't Johnny Orr. So I walk up and say, "Hi Coach Orr! I'm an Iowa State grad." Johnny's face lights up, he shakes my hand, and enthusiastically says, "Hey coach! How you doin'? What are you doing down here?" It was like I just ran into a long lost relative and he didn't know me from the water fountain. He asked me who I worked for and what I was doing and that he lived down there on a golf course over on the coast and was at the airport to meet a business associate from Des Moines. So we go our separate ways and I eventually head up to the terminal. There's Johnny again sitting down eating a frozen yogurt. So I walk up again and say, "Hey coach. I just wanted to say thanks for everything you did for the program." He looks up and says, "You're welcome, Coach."

Last edited:
Reactions: kilgore_trout

sweetiecy

Sep 24, 2009
Ankeny
Johnny is one of the great ones! He was Coach when I was in school, so of course I remember all of the games well, and I've spoken with him once or twice.

A few years ago, my Dad had just been diagnosed with cancer. Dad was a huge ISU fan, and used to go on about the Cyclone outings up in NW Iowa (the coaches always went to those back then).

Anyway, my husband was in Cedar Rapids for business when he went down for breakfast at the hotel one morning...to find Johnny sitting at a table with another gentleman. My husband thought it would be nice if he could get a note from Johnny for my Dad (who was in the hospital at the time). He was hesitant to approach him, at first, but finally did. Well, let's just say that he ended up sitting down with Coach for a LONG time, as he wanted all the details....and of course that led to stories! My Dad was thrilled with the note (written on a breakfast napkin); I have it hanging on my wall. He really LOVES the fans.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Seems like an appropriate time for a bump. Thanks for choosing ISU, Johnny. The word legend is thrown around way too freely but Johnny is a true Cyclone legend. Godspeed Coach.