Your Comedian Mount Rushmore

Doug Piranha

Oct 13, 2021
Sorry, but if one of your favorite comedy albums is Leary, I did you a favor.
Was like 12 when I first heard it. What can I say, always have had a soft spot for it. Most likely has to do with it being the first special I can remember listening to intently.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Every list HAS to have Don Rickles on it IMO. After that, I’d also include….. Burr, Hedberg, and Norm McDonald.

Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I originally put Eddie Murphy on my list here. I had to come back and edit it, as I rewatched both of his specials recently, and just do not find them that funny. He's got a few good bits, and I think he's naturally an hilarious human (and great comedic actor). I just don't find the stand-up itself that great.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Was like 12 when I first heard it. What can I say, always have had a soft spot for it. Most likely has to do with it being the first special I can remember listening to intently.

I get it. I'm overly sensitive to it. Bill Hicks is the greatest stand up comedian of all time in IMO, so I have a special level of disdain for Leary.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Carlin
Murphy
Chapelle

Then it gets incredibly hard for me. I think I'd go Burr but there are a lot of options. I think Tom Segura is incredibly funny, Kevin Hart is a different style and I find him really funny. You have Richard Pryor. There are just a lot of options.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I originally put Eddie Murphy on my list here. I had to come back and edit it, as I rewatched both of his specials recently, and just do not find them that funny. He's got a few good bits, and I think he's naturally an hilarious human (and great comedic actor). I just don't find the stand-up itself that great.

Agreed. For me, the nostalgia of his stand-up specials makes me remember them as funnier than they were.

There are so many sub-categories of comedians that I love

Story tellers: Jim Jeffries, Mike Berbiglia, Patton Oswalt, John Mulaney
Joke tellers: Steven Wright, Dimitri Martin, Mitch Hedberg, Deon Cole, Brian Regan, Jim Gaffigan
Personalites: Norm MacDonald, Bill Burr, Kevin Hart, Dave Chapelle, Tim Conway, Don Rickles, Lucille Ball

• Winner
Reactions: algonacy and Angie

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
My list is wrong but I can't get enough of:

1.) Tim Dillon
2.) Mark Normand
3.) Theo Von
4.) Dave Chappelle

HM: Bobby Lee

I don't find Theo Vons standup funny at all but when I come across a clip of his podcast, it's must watch especially if he starts it with "I grew up with this one kid." That's his format. His standup just isn't that great for me.

I'm actually kind of surprised how similar responses are. I guess I didn't think stand up comedy would find a consensus as I figured different styles would appeal to different people. Gaffigan is another guy that I enjoy but wouldn't consider for a mount rushmore but I could see someone else using him because of his style.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Agreed. For me, the nostalgia of his stand-up specials makes me remember them as funnier than they were.

There are so many sub-categories of comedians that I love

Story tellers: Jim Jeffries, Mike Berbiglia, Patton Oswalt, John Mulaney
Joke tellers: Steven Wright, Dimitri Martin, Mitch Hedberg, Deon Cole, Brian Regan, Jim Gaffigan
Personalites: Norm MacDonald, Bill Burr, Kevin Hart, Dave Chapelle, Tim Conway, Don Rickles, Lucille Ball

I agree on the nostalgia. I remember being little and seeing his outfits, knew he was this bigger-than-life personality at the time. He brought theatrics, and I think a lot of his legend is in response to that rock-star persona.

That's a really good breakdown of categories. I've been on a Lucille Ball kick lately, I have no idea why, and while I think a lot of it is nostalgia - she broke down huge barriers by insisting her husband of a different nationality be on her show. And then again by showing her pregnancy on the show. That was a tough chick at the time, and moved TV forward in addition to being a great physical comedienne.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Hedberg deserves of spot for sure. The uniqueness sets him apart.

ClonesInDallas

Dec 16, 2020
I don't find Theo Vons standup funny at all but when I come across a clip of his podcast, it's must watch especially if he starts it with "I grew up with this one kid." That's his format. His standup just isn't that great for me.

I'm actually kind of surprised how similar responses are. I guess I didn't think stand up comedy would find a consensus as I figured different styles would appeal to different people. Gaffigan is another guy that I enjoy but wouldn't consider for a mount rushmore but I could see someone else using him because of his style.

Agreed. His specials are atrocious, and that's coming from a big fan. But when I've seen him live in a venue I've really enjoyed it.

Not well versed in the stand up world so I've picked up most of my favorite comedians from podcasts.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
Pryor
Chappell
Dangerfield
Bob Hope

Modern Day guys

Chappell
Rock
Burr
Andrew Dice Clay

A few things. I am big into comedians. Love it. Sit around and listen all the time. Road trips I listen to mostly stand up.

George Carlin is one of my favorites. Dude is awesome and his stuff would be even better in modern times with all the wimpyness of America. However, he has some really bad albums in between really good ones.

Also, No idea why Andrew Dice Clay get's left off everyones list. Dude sold out Madison Square several times in a row and did Arena tours for the longest time. First comedian to ever do that. Possibly because he is not the huge star anymore that he was. However, the guy had some seriously good stuff.

IN the mix
Seinfeld - People forget he used to be a killer stand up.
Greg Giraldo- Killer
Louis Ck- Killer
Jay Leno- He was considered the best comic at the Comedy Store by all the comics pre Tonight show.
Joan Rivers was so good. She was one of the first women to do "Men" type sets. Her stuff still holds up today.
Sam Kinnison- Life ended right when he was huge
Bill Hicks- Dennis Leary ripped off his whole act. To the point he would do it word for word.
I know this will get some hate and I am not a huge fan. Dane Cook was huge. Yeah he might have stolen the jokes also but he was huge. I never got his act.
Brian Reagan- Best clean comic out there
Steven Wright
Mitch

Louis Black
Jeff Foxworthy
Larry The Cable Guy

The last three you have to kind of have a taste for but they are all huge.
Man, thanks for bringing him up.

My 4:
Hicks - Another dead hero
Kaufman - The greatest performance artist of all time
Nealon - Maybe not the most prolific, but I love his style
Robin Williams - I've never laughed so hard

Chapelle is an incredible orator and story teller, but his last 2-3 specials were just him complaining. I get it and I agree with much of what he says, it's just not funny.

If Cosby wasn't such a damn rapist, I'd have him on the list.

Reactions: BurgundyClone

algonacy

Feb 19, 2012
Iowa
Pryor
Birbiglia
Newhart
Seinfeld
Bargatze (what is it called when something new seems to sparkle more than an older diamond? Recency bias maybe? That's what I got going here with Bargatze)

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Joe Rogan
Bryan Callen
Bert Kreischer
Brendan Schaub

List compiled on "Opposite Day".

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

They haven’t aged well, his sketch and movie stuff has actually held up better. I probably should have put him in my top 4 comedic actor or sketch category I did if I thought it over again, but really no longer enjoy the standup specials.

Some of the stuff he did on SNL like going undercover as a white guy laid the ground for Chapelle show, but as a standup it’s almost painful to watch at times to me now and I’m somebody who wore out my audio tapes of Raw and Delirious in the 80s.

• Winner

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron