You say it's year 5?

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
If ISU would let Rhoads go because he has a hard time getting over 6 or 7 wins they are incredibly stupid. ISU has and probably always will be a cycle school minus getting a hall of fame coach and if they did most likely that guy would be gone in 2-3 years. There is has not been a coach that has been able to win at ISU consistently, with maybe the exception of Earl Bruce and he only had 3 8 win seasons, who knows if he we would have been able to continually put up those kinds of win totals. It was also in the Big 8 and it was an easier conference to win in than the Big 12 IMO.

Its one thing to say I want CHANGE or SOMEONE different but just having someone new doesn't mean better results.

But wasn't the reason Mac was let go was he couldn't get us over that hump? And for the record I am not a Mac defender.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
These seem like good posts and I want to agree but I have one question...did you guys even play college sports?
I was recruited to play baseball but destroyed my elbow. That will effect my ability to rationally think about football, idk how I can compete with a soccer player.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
If the OL can develop and the team as a whole can stay healthy, I can see where ISU could win 6-7 maybe an 8 win season next year. Unfortunately, as one poster said earlier ISU is always a few injuries away from 4-5 win seasons too.

I see a healthy Sam Richardson as a positive and a QB that can win at ISU if he can get some help. I like Wimberley and Nealy at RB. I like Bundrage and Bibbs in the receiving core. Hopefully, some other WR's continue to improve and Lazard or the South Florida transfer can help contribute. The offensive line needs to improve but they all return.

On defense I the defensive line can be pretty good, esepcially if we could move Irving back to DE and have Morrissey on the other side and play Coe and Jensen inside. Hopefully some of the younger players step up to give depth. Knott and Brackens will have a fair amount of experience and be solid. It seems the defensive backfield is the biggest area of concern on defense. We need Richardson, Tribune and Rogers to step up at CB and to find solid players to play the safey positions.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I won the national championship on NCAA 14 with Iowa State. The senior class was entirely recruited by me.

I'll be waiting for a job offer, JP.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am
So this abortion of a thread that you started is for you to ***** and moan about people who want more out of ISU football than what it's history has produced? That's ****ing brilliant. Don't be upset by a 71-7 ****hammering because we're Iowa State...

Alright, just for the record and one last time I'll indulge in this conversation. For one thing I was asking somebody else a question. It's a forum so obviously you're free to answer as well. Obviously you are more than a little ****** off. Again, not my intention but not much I can do about it I see. This thread was started to bring some perspective in. I obviously failed at doing so. But, on the flip side, just as you are free to express an opinion, so am I. Trust me when I say that I want more out ISU FB as well. My point was that it hasn't been better than the CPR era since the Bruce era. The numbers on that are not debatable, they are factual. To extend my point I said that I don't think it'll get better, it'll be about the same 10 years down the road. I believe that, due to many variables not in ISU's favor. To think I'm not upset about the drubbing we took, I still challenge you to find any evidence to support that. I probably took it harder than 99% of the die hard ISU fans. That's why I stayed off the forum last night. My wife said that all my talk plunged her into a "deep dark hole" last night...not ****ing kidding. Once again, I apologize for coming off the wrong way...but I'm not sorry for the opinions I hold nor the perspective that I'll continue to bring to the table. I hope you can sense that I mean what I'm saying. The world has enough struggles and I don't need to add to them by airing my **** on this forum in angry exchange with you, or anyone else for that matter. So, with that I say be well weR138. I'm out.

ISU_Clone_28

Mar 27, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
There's something I don't get here. I've read so many posts that talk about how this "shouldn't" be happening in year 5 in the CPR coaching regime. As if there's some guarantee that postulates that all programs should be on a consistent trajectory that continues only to rise by year 5. Pardon me for talking about my own experience, but please indulge me for a moment while I make a point. I played college soccer many years ago. We were a top 10 team, nationally. My coach was in his 8th year when I arrived on campus. He was named national coach of the year my sophomore season, after we finished 23-2, and ranked number 3 in the country. We never finished better than 14-9, the rest of the time I was there. It got even worse the next season or two. "Should" that have happened after year 10? I don't know, but 6 years later, after I was long gone, coach captured a national title. My point? There is nothing magical about year 5, or any other year for that matter. ISU's record, if plotted on a graph, is gonna go up and down as it always has. For the last 10 years, ISU has hovered around the .500 mark, minus a few %age points. It will continue to look the same 10 years from now. No other modern day Cyclone FB coach has breached the .500 mark, and stayed there for any significant amount of time. For all you who think that just because it's magical year # 5, and ISU isn't performing how a team should in said amount of time, and think CPR should be shown the door, who the hell do you think is gonna come to Ames and do any better? You have to go all the way back to Earl Bruce to find an ISU coach who has as good of a winning percentage as CPR. And that's when there was a whole lot less disparity between the haves and have nots in college FB. I'm as frustrated as anyone about last night, and about the season in general, but anybody who has played competitive sports, and been on the same team for 3, 4 or 5 years, knows that it is rarely an upward only trajectory towards success. Let go of the "it's year 5..." bull****, because it exposes one thing only, and that's your ignorance about sports in general. I know, I know....cool story, huh?

Its insane to think that all teams are on a constant upswing with a coaches tenure at a school and wont regress in a down year. Players leave and graduate, assistants move on or get promoted, and a number of other things that would cause a team to no be better. It happens, its a part of sports. I think it just gets less tolerated if you lose this bad with players that this staff has put into place.

The part of it all that is the hardest for me to take is hearing all the noise from Rhodes about how this is one of the most athletic and talented rosters that he has had. For all the fact finders no I don't have any direct links to this information, I just know I have seen plenty of second hand posting of this information on this board prior to the meltdown. I know we will struggle as the majority of this talent is still very young but if we are this talented and the players are struggling the way they are... that's on the coaches for not adapting to what their players can do and for not preparing them adequately.

Our team is young and they will struggle. Its a hard pill to swallow but I do expect that this team is better than 1-5 and getting blown out 7-71. That is on the coaches to figure out and shouldn't be where it is. Am I saying Rhodes needs to be fired? absolutely not. Lets face it we probably wont get better coach and he actually wants to be here and players want to play for him. We just need to figure out the pieces of the puzzle to get the best out of the talent of the players that we have now because lets face it.... what we are doing now is not working.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Been saying the last two years that this is a 7 year program builder. Rhoads not only lost his top players, but year 5 is the first year he has a roster consisting of only players he/staff have recruited. They have THEIR players now. And it will take a couple years to mold them.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
You have to go all the way back to Earl Bruce to find an ISU coach who has as good of a winning percentage as CPR. And that's when there was a whole lot less disparity between the haves and have nots in college FB.

The names look pretty familiar in those years. Otherwise I can understand your argument.
1978Alabama, Southern CaliforniaAP, FWAA, NFF, UPI
1977Notre DameAP, FWAA, NFF, UPI
1976PittsburghAP, FWAA, NFF, UPI
1975OklahomaAP, FWAA, NFF, UPI
1974Southern California, OklahomaFWAA, NFF, UPI, AP
1973Notre Dame, AlabamaAP, FWAA, NFF, UPI

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
Alright, just for the record and one last time I'll indulge in this conversation. For one thing I was asking somebody else a question. It's a forum so obviously you're free to answer as well. Obviously you are more than a little ****** off. Again, not my intention but not much I can do about it I see. This thread was started to bring some perspective in. I obviously failed at doing so. But, on the flip side, just as you are free to express an opinion, so am I. Trust me when I say that I want more out ISU FB as well. My point was that it hasn't been better than the CPR era since the Bruce era. The numbers on that are not debatable, they are factual. To extend my point I said that I don't think it'll get better, it'll be about the same 10 years down the road. I believe that, due to many variables not in ISU's favor. To think I'm not upset about the drubbing we took, I still challenge you to find any evidence to support that. I probably took it harder than 99% of the die hard ISU fans. That's why I stayed off the forum last night. My wife said that all my talk plunged her into a "deep dark hole" last night...not ****ing kidding. Once again, I apologize for coming off the wrong way...but I'm not sorry for the opinions I hold nor the perspective that I'll continue to bring to the table. I hope you can sense that I mean what I'm saying. The world has enough struggles and I don't need to add to them by airing my **** on this forum in angry exchange with you, or anyone else for that matter. So, with that I say be well weR138. I'm out.

When it's the worst loss in all ISU football history, it doesn't matter if your coach has been there one year, five years or 50 years...its ugly and the fans have a right to ***** about it.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
I don't understand the correlation between Iowa State football from 1894-2008 and a 71-7 loss to Baylor on October 19, 2013 in the fifth year of the Paul Rhoads era.

Telling me I should be happy with the 25-32 record Paul Rhoads has posted after a loss like last night after everything that's happened this season is just stupid.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
A year ago these same people are worried that Rhoads was going to leave and he needed a new deal. Now some want him fired? Good grief people.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
I don't understand the correlation between Iowa State football from 1894-2008 and a 71-7 loss to Baylor on October 19, 2013 in the fifth year of the Paul Rhoads era.

Telling me I should be happy with the 25-32 record Paul Rhoads has posted after a loss like last night after everything that's happened this season is just stupid.

Who is telling you to be happy about? I haven't seen one post indicating you should be. People spin things the way they want to.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
College soccer? Really? You're talking about tiddly-winks compared to major college football. And your team continued to be decent. This will be our 4th straight losing season with a clear downward trend.

The OK State win is providing him a lot of cover right now. I will say that much.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
A year ago these same people are worried that Rhoads was going to leave and he needed a new deal. Now some want him fired? Good grief people.
Havent seen anyone say they want him fired. Many are questioning whether he is fit for this job and they have a right to. There is a chance he isn't.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
It shouldn't ever happen actually, but it does. OU blew A and M out a few years ago.

This is clearly a down year, breaking in a ton of players, injuries are everywhere. Something needs to be done to fix this offense. But firing CPR now or even in the next few years would be the end of Iowa State football as we know it.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
College soccer? Really? You're talking about tiddly-winks compared to major college football. And your team continued to be decent. This will be our 4th straight losing season with a clear downward trend.

The OK State win is providing him a lot of cover right now. I will say that much.

Oh okay. You too, huh? It's amazing what info a person takes from something said. How a person can so completely miss a point and jump on with the lynch mob just to feel a part of it all. It's not my fault that you can't squeeze the gist out of a simple explanation of something. Go on and make your astute observations Einstein. Strike one!