You know what I don't get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Of course you are right. But the "haters" have McD's tenure thus far to point to and say, "This is not good enough for ISU MBB and there is no indication that things will improve." Do you disagree with this?

I agree that this is not good enough for ISU MBB. What I haven't decided on is whether we are more likely to get to "good enough" by starting over or by keeping a stable staff.

I do think there are indications that things could improve. For example, I think the top to bottom talent on this team has improved in McDermott's 4 seasons. It hasn't shown up in the win/loss column due to reasons that have been discussed ad nauseum. I think the issues with the team are mental, not physical, and thus can be resolved quicker.

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
Last night DG had a steal, went to the other end 1 on 1, missed the layup. Put the ball on the under side of the rim. Guy got the rebound and made an outlet pass. The guy who got the rebound, then ran down court, cut to the basket, got a bounce pass and an uncontested layup. One of many boneheaded plays. That is a 4 point swing.

That is our season in a nutshell. It would be different if these were mistakes made by young, inexperienced guys. Very few of these guys are young and experienced...

Reactions: CloneIce

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I still don't understand how it is logical/rational/productive to give up on the team and call for the coach to be terminated during the season.

If you understood logic and rationality, you would know it's not about giving up on the team or calling for the coach's termination now. I've never once said that Greg McDermott should be fired now. I'm just looking at what we've seen in 4 years, which is ample time to prove one's self, and looking to the future.

How can you look at what's happened in the last 4 years and think things will get better? THAT is what is irrational. What is irrational is looking at McDermott's track record at ISU and seeing something that suggests all of this is going to change if we go forward with him as coach. Data and trends suggest that Greg McDermott will continue to win about 14 or 15 games as the head coach of Iowa State. If that's good enough for you, great. It's not for me, and I'm not going to support that. McDermott's teams have not improved in 4 years. Not in any measurable, statistical area. If all somebody asked for is his team's improvement, and not the occasional upset of a ranked team, or post season appearance, they'd still be searching for it after 4 years.

4 years. If what we've seen out of McDermott is good enough for you, stay on board, please. We fired Wayne Morgan for not doing good enough, and Greg McDermott is doing worse. A change needs to happen unless we pull out a miracle this year.

ddisu

Nov 11, 2009
Toledo
That is our season in a nutshell. It would be different if these were mistakes made by young, inexperienced guys. Very few of these guys are young and experienced...

After this play, you should have seen a timeout and royal *** chewing. Not of the missed layup, but how did a guy run 90 feet straight at you and give up a layup.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
4 years. If what we've seen out of McDermott is good enough for you, stay on board, please. We fired Wayne Morgan for not doing good enough, and Greg McDermott is doing worse. A change needs to happen unless we pull out a miracle this year.[/QUOTE]

Like beating NU at Hilton?

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Go ahead and explain. I'll match wits with you all day buddy boy.

You don't have a whit of wits.

You post was not a valid point because I was referring to people who are now in the "wait until after the season" crowd, and aren't acknowledged by people like you, who are clearly in the "fire him now" crowd.

So your point was not valid because my post was not about you in any way.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
If you understood logic and rationality, you would know it's not about giving up on the team or calling for the coach's termination now. I've never once said that Greg McDermott should be fired now. I'm just looking at what we've seen in 4 years, which is ample time to prove one's self, and looking to the future.

Let me summarize, since you didn't seem to understand:
You are calling for the coach to be fired.
It is during the season.
It is unproductive to do so at this time.

4 years. If what we've seen out of McDermott is good enough for you, stay on board, please. We fired Wayne Morgan for not doing good enough, and Greg McDermott is doing worse. A change needs to happen unless we pull out a miracle this year.

So you agree that we (as fans) should wait until after the season before calling for McDermott's head? After all, the miracle could still happen and you think a change shouldn't occur if it does.

And I have never said that the last 3+ years is good enough for me, a fact I have pointed out to you multiple times, yet you insist on accusing me of it.

I have been entirely consistent, yet you still get it wrong, over and over and over and over. Why is that?

Let me repeat again:

My expectations are for the team to make the tournament this year. (clearly that won't be met)

I will make up my mind after the season on what I would prefer to happen on the coaching front. My opinion is that is unproductive, and giving up on the team, to call for anything to happen during the season. I will make my opinion based on whether I think, long term, a new coach has a better chance of being successful than the current staff.

Are we clear?

Reactions: Al_4_State

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA

You post was not a valid point because I was referring to people who are now in the "wait until after the season" crowd, and aren't acknowledged by people like you, who are clearly in the "fire him now" crowd.

You're as clueless as you think everyone else is.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines

The interesting thing is that you are telling people to wait until the end of the season (which is logical) but you yourself arent in the "wait until after the season crowd". You already have your mind made up on Feb 11th. You want GMac back next year. But you are calling out people who have their mind made up on Feb 11th that they dont want GMac back next year.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
The interesting thing is that you are telling people to wait until the end of the season (which is logical) but you yourself arent in the "wait until after the season crowd". You already have your mind made up on Feb 11th. You want GMac back next year. But you are calling out people who have their mind made up on Feb 11th that they dont want GMac back next year.

Are you a ******* mind reader?

Can you point to a single post where I said that?

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
Let me summarize, since you didn't seem to understand:
You are calling for the coach to be fired.
It is during the season.
It is unproductive to do so at this time.

So you agree that we (as fans) should wait until after the season before calling for McDermott's head? After all, the miracle could still happen and you think a change shouldn't occur if it does.

And I have never said that the last 3+ years is good enough for me, a fact I have pointed out to you multiple times, yet you insist on accusing me of it.

I have been entirely consistent, yet you still get it wrong, over and over and over and over. Why is that?

Let me repeat again:

My expectations are for the team to make the tournament this year. (clearly that won't be met)

I will make up my mind after the season on what I would prefer to happen on the coaching front. My opinion is that is unproductive, and giving up on the team, to call for anything to happen during the season. I will make my opinion based on whether I think, long term, a new coach has a better chance of being successful than the current staff.

Are we clear?

What are you going to review tape and go over practice notes? Examine how many games we blew in the last 4 minutes of the game? Get serious we will not sniff the post-season this year that was goal #1 for year 4 of McDermott.

Spam

May 21, 2008
OK, so I correctly predicted that we would suck. So now I should be happy with ISU basketball as long as we suck?

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
What are you going to review tape and go over practice notes? Examine how many games we blew in the last 4 minutes of the game? Get serious we will not sniff the post-season this year that was goal #1 for year 4 of McDermott.

You have given up on the team. That's fine, I just happen to think it's unproductive.

hursts

Apr 10, 2006
Because we never win anymore. We will likely finish the conference season at 3-13 or 4-12. Not acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.