You Going to See Top Gun: Maverick?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Are you going to watch Top Gun: Maverick in theaters?

• Yes

Votes: 142 51.4%
  • No

Votes: 72 26.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 36 13.0%
  • Who cares

Votes: 24 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 0.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It's super iconic but when it comes down to it, it's the ultimate bro/frat movie.

Some of the most bro-iest/fratty folks I've ever known couldn't say the lines enough 4 beers deep.
I started watching at the volleyball scene he leaves rides his motorcycle and some sappy song is played I’d had enough at that point

Reactions: carvers4math

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I started watching at the volleyball scene he leaves rides his motorcycle and some sappy song is played I’d had enough at that point

I guess it didn’t take your breath away so you missed the later scenes where he takes a highway to the danger zone.

The Maverick/Goose joke in Eastbound and Down may be one of the greatest pieces of comedy ever.

• Informative
Reactions: BigTurk and Aclone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

That's pretty much the movie with some (actually well done) clips of pilots flying jets.

It's gone byway of other 80s classics where you spend more time going 'wait just a minute' vs. the plot as time goes on.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
That's pretty much the movie with some (actually well done) clips of pilots flying jets.

It's gone byway of other 80s classics where you spend more time going 'wait just a minute' vs. the plot as time goes on.

“Hit the breaks and they’ll fly right by” isn’t actual military aviation strategy?

I wonder if the dogfight scenes are more or less realistic than Rocky boxing.

nickoff

Oct 14, 2017
Portland, OR
#@$% Yeah !! Tom Cruise take my money.
Ass in seats baby. Been waiting a while to see this.

Like the Lady Gaga song also.
This movie is gonna be great for the movie business and helping get theaters and related going again.

p.s. Tom cruise is still bat sh@t crazy.

Reactions: Aclone and NWICY

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I don't really go to the theater but once a year or so. I will gladly watch this at home from my own couch, with my own food and my own beer. It's great!

Reactions: madguy30

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
I don't really go to the theater but once a year or so. I will gladly watch this at home from my own couch, with my own food and my own beer. It's great!
Ward "Mooch" Carroll is a former RIO (2nd seat F-14 Tomcat) flyer. IMHO, he has a top-notch podcast found on YouTube on which he discusses many subjects, including Ukraine and the new Top Gun movie.

Also on his YouTube site, if you're interested, he discusses his favorite flying movie (The Final Countdown) that he praises for accuracy (well, not the time travel storm).

In "The Final Countdown" I think you'll find a discussion by F-14 crews who flew during the making of that movie, including the Navy's top F-14 pilot who rolls over his jet and dives toward the sea. He leveled out only a couple of hundred feet over the water. That dive was a hot topic of discussion and elicited the Chief of Naval Operations' inquiry, too (funny).

Just a thought. Cheers.

• Informative
Reactions: Aclone and shadow

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
My wife always thought the hit Kenny Loggins song said… “I went to the danger zone.” I had to inform her of the real lyrics.

Like, why would you purposely go to the danger zone?

Oh, and Cyclone is going to be a character/call sign in this one! Giddy up!!!

Reactions: jcyclonee and HFCS

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Hell to the no. I'm not a huge fan when they bring back aging stars to reprise roles in movies that were hits 20-plus years ago. (Star Wars, the Matrix).

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Hell to the no. I'm not a huge fan when they bring back aging stars to reprise roles in movies that were hits 20-plus years ago. (Star Wars, the Matrix).

It can go either way whether original creative team is involved or not.

The new Matrix movie was an absolute cringe mess…but really the second and third movie were a mess too, they just looked cool at the time but haven’t aged well. The Matrix is just one good movie and some of those animated shorts were good.

Twin Peaks The Return is substantially better than the original and they even dropped a “I’ll see you again in 25 years” in the original, so it can be done in a way that shatters expectations.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
My wife always thought the hit Kenny Loggins song said… “I went to the danger zone.” I had to inform her of the real lyrics.

Like, why would you purposely go to the danger zone?

Oh, and Cyclone is going to be a character/call sign in this one! Giddy up!!!

Reactions: Macloney

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
After the first movie Tom was motivated and got his pilot's certificate. He is now a commercially rated multi-engine pilot. He recently picked up James Corden in his Honda Jet then took him up for some fun in his P-51 before having some more fun in a L-39.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Hot take time --

Days of Thunder and Top Gun are basically the same movie but Days of Thunder is better.

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Central Iowa
I'm rewatching Top Gun 1 for the first time in a while and I have to say that I hope Top Gun 2 is more like the Mission Impossible series post MI 2 (more focused on action, less on romance).

Also, just realized that the Shawshank guy, Tim Robbins, is Merlin.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: isufbcurt