You get one restaurant that’s closed in Ames to come back…

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Back in my day we didn't Netflix and Chill. It was Family Video and Chill. Many of nights.

edit: Family Video, Keg Shop Fire Sale, and Chill.
The Ames Family Video held on much longer than most did.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Don't want to start a new thread. What about if you got a non restaurant business back. 2 that I miss in that category are the J4 Rollaway and the drive in that was in West Ames.
I miss the old school movie theaters. It was insane when you think about how many movie theaters a town the size of Ames had in the 90s.

North Grand Mall had that two-screen theater at the entrance of the east side of the mall.

Varsity 2 in Campustown

Century III in the Aldi/TexasR Roadhouse area

North Grand 5 on the OTHER side of North Grand Mall

Drive In theater in West Ames

That was 13 screens from five locations. Although I think the drive in actually closed before NG 5 opened. There was another movie theater on Lincoln Way in Campustown besides Varsity 2. Ames Theater it was called.

AlumfromAmes

Jun 9, 2010
I miss the old school movie theaters. It was insane when you think about how many movie theaters a town the size of Ames had in the 90s.

North Grand Mall had that two-screen theater at the entrance of the east side of the mall.

Varsity 2 in Campustown

Century III in the Aldi/TexasR Roadhouse area

North Grand 5 on the OTHER side of North Grand Mall

Drive In theater in West Ames

That was 13 screens from five locations. Although I think the drive in actually closed before NG 5 opened. There was another movie theater on Lincoln Way in Campustown besides Varsity 2. Ames Theater it was called.
There used to be one downtown, too. On the same side of Main as the drug store.

• Agree
Reactions: dahliaclone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not a business, but I miss the roller hockey rink they had out by Towers. Didn't seem like it was there long before it was redeveloped.

Didn't the golf course out by Ada Hayden go away too? The one where you could get like a round, cart, and a hotdog for super cheap?

I also miss Friley Windows and Dungeon Dining halls. Just a great atmosphere compared to the newer models.
When I was in college the north Ada Hayden pit was a driving range.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
Bet no one knows where the forerunner of hickory park is. Back in the 60s
I don't know about the forerunner of Hickory Park but, when I was there, there was a great BBQ place owned by a black guy but I can't remember it's name. I think it was on Kellogg next to the railroad tracks. It was exceptionally clean, good food, etc. He moved the business to Des Moines in the last half of the 60's.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
When I was in college the north Ada Hayden pit was a driving range.

What's the status of Peterson's Pit nowadays. Man circa 2002-2004, Peterson's PIt in the summer was ******* awesome. Then they started to crack down on drinking and fun. Also cut down all the good branches on the trees to jump off.

83cy

May 14, 2006
Minskys and Pizza Pit back in the day I loved them. They probably sucked but back then excellent.

Mar 21, 2021
Minskys and Pizza Pit back in the day I loved them. They probably sucked but back then excellent.
I liked PIzza Pit. Ended up going to grad school at Wisconsin/Madison and guess what, they had Pizza Pit too! They also had pizza joint called Rocky Rococo that was unique and also very good.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I liked PIzza Pit. Ended up going to grad school at Wisconsin/Madison and guess what, they had Pizza Pit too! They also had pizza joint called Rocky Rococo that was unique and also very good.
Rocky Rococo is still alive in Madison...

Reactions: 2122

1961Cylones

Aug 18, 2021
Probably b4 most of your times, but there was a quaint little Italian place on SE 16th St. called Tony's Little Italy.

It was in a small bldg. about where the south entrance to Hickory Park is now. Straight out of Lady and the Tramp with red & white checkered tablecloths, low lights, candles in wine bottles that are probably against fire codes now and the biggest salt water aquarium I'd ever seen at the time.

The food was great, as well. Meatballs as big as your fist, and one piece of lasagna could feed a family.

There was also a sandwich shop where LIttle Taipei is now that had the best Philly Cheese Steaks I've ever tasted, (I've never been to Philadelphia, though).

Old87

Sep 30, 2012
Bonanza was a go to place on Sunday nights in the mid 80’s. Hugh salad bar with lots of options. Small steak, baked potato, and all you can eat salad bar made for a great break from studying.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Granddaddy's had an interesting special years ago in the 1970s. For $5, you got all you can drink beer. The catch was, the bottomless pitchers ended when someone went to the bathroom or left the premises. You got a bad reputation if you did either. (the drinking age then was 18).
Usually, you snuck out a side door without being seen and peed outside in the alley but the Ames cops knew this, patrolled the alleys and wrote plenty of tickets (at this bar and another that had only one small bathroom for its large weekend crowd), which appeared in the police blotter in the Iowa State Daily under "Public Urinating and Defecation", even though the offender wasn't doing the latter. That was the second most popular section of the paper (after the personals in the classified) and was always the topic at house meetings in the dorms and could be a good weapon to get back at a house member.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: mynameisjonas

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Not a business, but I miss the roller hockey rink they had out by Towers. Didn't seem like it was there long before it was redeveloped.

Didn't the golf course out by Ada Hayden go away too? The one where you could get like a round, cart, and a hotdog for super cheap?

I also miss Friley Windows and Dungeon Dining halls. Just a great atmosphere compared to the newer models.
Probably went to windows more, except for some reason, loved dungeon's breakfasts better.