Yet another fine Baylor product

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Sad more than anything. Didn't Diante Garrett say something similar after he left ISU?

• Dislike
Reactions: harimad

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I bet this happens more than you'd think, although with the team getting to the facility several hours before game-time I wonder how much effect it would even have by the time you started playing.

• Winner
Reactions: deadeyededric

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
And so did athletes in the 30s and 40s and 50s and 60s and 70s and 80s and 90s and on and on and on.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I thought the Fred-era ISU teams were kind of know for being "weed-friendly" for transfer players. Considering some of the guys on the team, wouldn't shock me. Not that I care -- they behave and be good student-athletes when they are "on the clock," then what they did in their time, assuming it did not affect them, was their business and not our problem.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
A quick Google search finds no pages, other than this thread with the words "Diante Garrett" and drugs on the same page.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
and even though they all say Briles knew. Baylor fan still wanted him back and still does.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Josh Gordon has huge freaking problems. He could have made so many millions of dollars if he just laid off the weed for a while.

Now, it doesn't give him a pass for the stupid crap he did, but Baylor definitely enabled him to abuse drugs to the fullest extent possible by helping him and other players avoid positive tests while in college.

Seems like a great recruiting tool for Baylor. Kids get on campus and the older player let them know that they don't have to worry about getting tested for pot. Kids like Josh Gordon commit the next day.

• Funny
Reactions: srjclone

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I thought the general consensus on this board was pretty weed-friendly, so this shouldn't be a big deal.

I guess the story doesn't surprise or bother me at all, and that type of stuff happens everywhere.

• Disagree
Reactions: agcy68

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I thought the general consensus on this board was pretty weed-friendly, so this shouldn't be a big deal.

I guess the story doesn't surprise or bother me at all, and that type of stuff happens everywhere.

There's casual weed usage and there's substance abuse issues like what Josh Gordon is describing. Weed in and of itself is not supposed to be habit forming, but he obviously has problems outside of that and abused multiple substances as a result.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis

Yeah, and him smoking weed "before every game" is a bit of a lead on as I'm pretty sure they have to be at the stadium like 4+ hours before the game, so he wouldn't be smoking in the locker room or in his car in the parking lot. And to everyone's argument about how prevalent this is

"A bunch of guys smoke weed before the game. But we're not talking about them."

But the drinking before the game is rough. Having pre-made shots ready to go isn't a good sign ever haha, and even if it was "1 or 2 shots to warm himself up" I feel like that is a serious concern.

I'm actually impressed with what he did, not that I think it is right or okay, but unlike a Jon Jones type of offender, who doped before fights with things that would make him more of a threat in the ring, Josh Gordon was out here taking/doing things that slow down motor functions and he still went out there and lead the lead in receiving hah

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Yeah, and him smoking weed "before every game" is a bit of a lead on as I'm pretty sure they have to be at the stadium like 4+ hours before the game, so he wouldn't be smoking in the locker room or in his car in the parking lot. And to everyone's argument about how prevalent this is

"A bunch of guys smoke weed before the game. But we're not talking about them."

But the drinking before the game is rough. Having pre-made shots ready to go isn't a good sign ever haha, and even if it was "1 or 2 shots to warm himself up" I feel like that is a serious concern.

I'm actually impressed with what he did, not that I think it is right or okay, but unlike a Jon Jones type of offender, who doped before fights with things that would make him more of a threat in the ring, Josh Gordon was out here taking/doing things that slow down motor functions and he still went out there and lead the lead in receiving hah

Yeah. That's not casual use, that's self medicating. I'm going to guess he has anxiety issues and "taking the edge off" helped him relax and focus.