Yet Another Boneheaded Move by the Iowa AD

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
The problem is that the offense, regardless of who the OC has been, has always operated under KF's overarching strategy of conservatism, especially when the team has the lead. KF has said publicly that when Iowa has scored the number of points he thinks it will take to secure the win, he goes conservative and pumps the brakes with the offense. That number is typically in the mid-20s, which is why they put BF's threshold at 25 ppg (and that includes points from defense and special teams.) Let's say Iowa goes two or three games scoring just 15-17 points. That's going to hamper hitting the 25 ppg threshold for the season. So in the games that follow, if Iowa has hit 25 points and is in command, if KF then decides to put his foot on the gas and run the score up, it basically means he's going against his longstanding offensive philosophy and is only doing it to save his kid's job. Not going to be a great look.
People may howl when he leaves the starting QB in a game he doesn't need to, but that has been Kirk since day 1.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
The 25 point thing has to be null and void now, right? Would think it goes out the window with the bright mind who was behind it.

Watch the new AD come in and just straight up fire Brian now
At will. Pay out the contract.

tavrncy

Mar 29, 2023
If it is part of his employment contract, nothing is going to change.

seriously do people think Barta was paying him personally or something? His contract is with the university, not the AD. They don't get to tear it up because the AD left. The new one could always fire him and pay whatever the buyout is (presumably not much) but absent that the terms would remain the same. The contract is a public record you can go read it, there's nothing in there about it being void in the event of a new athletic director.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Keep in mind all you Iowa fans is that Cade McNamara‘s last significant playing time was against the Colorado State Rams. With receivers more talented than Petras had, he was only 9 of 18. Colorado State only won three games all season. I would hate to be Brian Ferentz rolling the dice with a guy who was 9 of 18 against CSU.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
seriously do people think Barta was paying him personally or something? His contract is with the university, not the AD. They don't get to tear it up because the AD left. The new one could always fire him and pay whatever the buyout is (presumably not much) but absent that the terms would remain the same. The contract is a public record you can go read it, there's nothing in there about it being void in the event of a new athletic director.
Hello new member. Welcome.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Someone should buy billboard space on I80 near Iowa City and give us updates on Brian’s scoring goals.
Someone should buy billboard space advertising the Swarm Collective and include the .org web address!

That would make for some excitement this summer in IC.

Reactions: BCClone

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I have no problem recognizing that's it's a good job. Factor in cost of living and it's a really good job.
The next hire will get their own coaches too.

That's very attractive. They will probably need to really think about fundraising for a new bball arena soon as well.
I think the fact that a dimwit like Barta kept his job that long makes it a very attractive job. Not sure if the next candidate will have the sexual assault victim “negotiation” skills Barta had, but I guess between Kirk’s skills in that area and crime scene cleanup they’ll probably be fine if that happens again.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Keep in mind all you Iowa fans is that Cade McNamara‘s last significant playing time was against the Colorado State Rams. With receivers more talented than Petras had, he was only 9 of 18. Colorado State only won three games all season. I would hate to be Brian Ferentz rolling the dice with a guy who was 9 of 18 against CSU.
He’s also a 21 TD, 7 INT career QB with decent poise. He’s not great but he’s the best they’ve had in a decent while.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
He’s also a 21 TD, 7 INT career QB with decent poise. He’s not great but he’s the best they’ve had in a decent while.
true, but five of those 7 interceptions came against the only ranked teams he played in 2021. On the other hand, Iowa won’t face very many ranked teams this season.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Beth Goetz is now the Interim AD and they won't start the search for the permanent AD until early in 2024. Seems like they are going to evaluate how she does and then if everything is good, they will keep her as the permanent AD at that time. I'm guessing she will be the new AD when it is all said and done.

Reactions: tavrncy

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Beth Goetz is now the Interim AD and they won't start the search for the permanent AD until early in 2024. Seems like they are going to evaluate how she does and then if everything is good, they will keep her as the permanent AD at that time. I'm guessing she will be the new AD when it is all said and done.
Early 2024 is only six months away. I figured they'd give her a shot to earn the permanent gig. I'm willing to see how she does, hopefully she doesn't lead like Barta. I do agree in the end they'll probably go through the motions of a national search but give her the job.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Early 2024 is only six months away. I figured they'd give her a shot to earn the permanent gig. I'm willing to see how she does, hopefully she doesn't lead like Barta. I do agree in the end they'll probably go through the motions of a national search but give her the job.
Being receptive to NIL will go a long ways for me.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
To keep it cheap, could you just rent a mile marker sign since it'll likely be single digits anyways?
Great Idea!!
I-380 starts at zero in Iowa City and ends at mile 71 in Waterloo. If your tracking cumulative points for the Iowa offense that should get you half way through the season.

Reactions: Kinch

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Good point. I think he completes more passes to TJ Tampa than any player wearing black and pee yellow.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron