Yet Another Boneheaded Move by the Iowa AD

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Vice President thing is very common in several professions. Banks have loads of them, basically the lending limits are based on title in some banks. Non-profit I was at called all VPs directors instead, we had several directors. I hated that because people got confused and thought I was on the board of directors. I started saying it's basically a VP level position that they label a director. That part is a hohum.
I get that...we are talking about a student run org inside of a University.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
They should try to find 11 donors to buy them new tickets. I'd gladly donate 19 tickets worth of money to these guys.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think he was talking about the non-refundable bus. If it were me, I would still take the trip and maybe try to score tickets outside the arena or go to a bar to watch the game. Would still be a lot of fun.
No, they raised about 3000 for the B&Gs club which would be about 15 per person. Like them or not, they do raise money for charities by doing their trips.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
In the Reddit thread on this (where there are illinois fans), people are saying the discount wasn’t for being the Boys and Girls club, it was just a group rate. The reason the OK doesn’t say that they are buying the tickets is teams won’t sell to them and they want it to be a surprise when they all show up in illinois stuff

I guess I can kind of see it both ways. On one hand, it does benefit the argument that they didn't get a discounted rate as a charity, and I can understand that they aren't going to sell tickets to an opposing student section. But I'm not sure that quite eliminates the "icky-ness" of impersonating a charitable organization. That's just a bad look.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I get that...we are talking about a student run org inside of a University.
They can basically call themselves anything they want if it's a resume thing. Most employers I know, don't really look at that stuff too much and just check to see if they are doing anything outside of class.

Reactions: MJ29

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I guess I can kind of see it both ways. On one hand, it does benefit the argument that they didn't get a discounted rate as a charity, and I can understand that they aren't going to sell tickets to an opposing student section. But I'm not sure that quite eliminates the "icky-ness" of impersonating a charitable organization. That's just a bad look.
It is weird that Iowa mentions rivalry is good, but they refuse to sell to another teams students. OK was wrong with the impersonation, but is Iowa actually telling other teams students that they won't sell them group tickets?

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
They can basically call themselves anything they want if it's a resume thing. Most employers I know, don't really look at that stuff too much and just check to see if they are doing anything outside of class.
That was my point. and it is ridiculous.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
No, they raised about 3000 for the B&Gs club which would be about 15 per person. Like them or not, they do raise money for charities by doing their trips.
Gotcha, but they didn't say it was for the B&G club, they said it was for local charitable organizations.

alenz95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 16, 2015
Bettendorf/ Ames
They admitted to impersonating the Boys and Girls Club and are still trying to play the victim.

Where did you get this from? OC's statement mentioned raising money for local charities to get invited on the trip, but everything else is from Iowa's end. A few others have mentioned, but phrasing will be important.

If OC claimed to be an organization raising money or volunteering time for Boys and Girls club, then what they said isn't exactly a lie. It would still be sad an organization is willing to sink like $8,000 into a trip with only $2,000 going to charity and call it "charitable". Ultimately, that's on Iowa for failing to vet better.

If OC claimed the tickets were for boys and Girls Club then OC is in the wrong, and they deserve to take th financial hit.

At the end of the day, I feel there a lot of better ways Iowa could have handled this than dealing with the 3 days before a game and generating a wholly unnecessary PR story. It seems like Barta gets a hard on for trying to embarrass other schools, at times without fully vetting things. One that quickly comes to mind was the whole accusing Iowa State stealing from visitor locker rooms thing that was ultimately untrue.

Reactions: MJ29 and BCClone

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Maybe they raised $3k... maybe they didn't. Maybe they will donate money, maybe they won't. Their PR piece doesn't have any reference to monies being raised or their purpose.

Their PR piece includes:
Iowa made a mistake in selling the tickets to them (their words.. and what mistake was that, are they not allowed to correct the mistake known by OK?)
we are out bus money.
this goes against spirit of competition and rivalry.

Their PR piece does not have a single point or reference to a point around fundraising for any charity, let alone the B&G Club. (edit, they kind of do this... just isn't much of a detail in their 7 paragraph PR letter)

I love the PR disaster that usually follows the Iowa AD .... this time they win.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: iahawks

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Where did you get this from? OC's statement mentioned raising money for local charities to get invited on the trip, but everything else is from Iowa's end. A few others have mentioned, but phrasing will be important.

If OC claimed to be an organization raising money or volunteering time for Boys and Girls club, then what they said isn't exactly a lie. It would still be sad an organization is willing to sink like $8,000 into a trip with only $2,000 going to charity and call it "charitable". Ultimately, that's on Iowa for failing to vet better.

If OC claimed the tickets were for boys and Girls Club then OC is in the wrong, and they deserve to take th financial hit.

At the end of the day, I feel there a lot of better ways Iowa could have handled this than dealing with the 3 days before a game and generating a wholly unnecessary PR story. It seems like Barta gets a hard on for trying to embarrass other schools, at times without fully vetting things. One that quickly comes to mind was the whole accusing Iowa State stealing from visitor locker rooms thing that was ultimately untrue.
The PR letter by the OK doesn't mention anything around raising money for anyone or anything. See my post above

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012

The OK also said they bought the tickets legally and that they were invalidated. That is untrue as they bought the tickets fraudulently and they were refunded.

Also, they don't mention where the $2,649 goes to specifically they just say to local charitable organizations. And yes, they admitted to posing as the B&G club to get tickets. They are lucky they won't lose their non-profit status or get a heavy fine because what they did I'm pretty sure is a federal violation.

• Creative
Reactions: isufbcurt

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Is Barta writing a letter to all of Illinois’ opponents to warn their AD’s or does he only do that when an Iowa student is responsible for any wrongdoing involving an opponent?

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
The OK also said they bought the tickets legally and that they were invalidated. That is untrue as they bought the tickets fraudulently and they were refunded.

Also, they don't mention where the $2,649 goes to specifically they just say to local charitable organizations. And yes, they admitted to posing as the B&G club to get tickets. They are lucky they won't lose their non-profit status or get a heavy fine because what they did I'm pretty sure is a federal violation.
To your last sentence, I think they don't have a outward FEIN, instead use one under the university and its' student groups. They will need to answer to their univeristy.

• Informative
Reactions: iahawks

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
So is it confirmed that they impersonated the Boys and Girls Club, or that they said they were an organization that supports the Boys and Girls Club? It's a minor distinction, but I think important in this case. They do provide charitable support of the organization, and it seems this event was a fundraiser for the B&G Club. So throwing out that this is a fundraiser for them seems appropriate. But of course, saying you're with the organization is different. So to me, it comes down to how it is worded and was the ticketing agent confused about who was buying the tickets. But we won't know that for sure unless there was a recording of the conversation.

But this is probably just me being biased against the Iowa AD for how they have spun the football incidents over the past few years. So I'm not inclined to believe anything they put out in a oresser is the whole truth.
I don't know if it is confirmed by all at this point. Recalling how the Iowa President and AD reacted during the ridiculous band kerfluffle outside Jack Trice, I am also not necessarily inclined to believe whatever they say.

Likewise, I'm not inclined to believe whatever IA fans spew on twitter or other social media. During that band kerfluffle they were clearly making a lot up.

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
Well, I am on the fence on this also. They did state in their response that they had a 501(c)3 status from the IRS, which means they are a recognized not-for-profit per the U.S. If Iowa felt their charitable purpose was under question, they could have asked for a copy of their status letter issued by the IRS. On the other hand, that letter would not have identified them as the Boys and Girls club of Urbana, Illinois, but rather a student fundraising organization (Orange Crush) at the U of I, so there's that.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Barta, Ferentz, Mad Fran , etc.... they just keep stepping on their own d1cks year after year. They truly are an national embarrassment. It's fun toi watch, though.
Hoping Illinois sues them.

Reactions: isufbcurt

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I don't know if it is confirmed by all at this point. Recalling how the Iowa President and AD reacted during the ridiculous band kerfluffle outside Jack Trice, I am also not necessarily inclined to believe whatever they say.

Likewise, I'm not inclined to believe whatever IA fans spew on twitter or other social media. During that band kerfluffle they were clearly making a lot up.
One of their board members admitting to impersonating the B&G club.

125EF500-A165-4DBD-81F3-37918303D0D1.jpg