Yet Another Boneheaded Move by the Iowa AD

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
There should be controls in place but its Barta and the U of I we are talking about.
I think there were controls in place. They looked over ticket sales for their upcoming home game and saw a chance to welcome and recognize the B&Gs club of Champaign. They needed a contact person for their visit to have a nice PR moment with a quality org. It all fell apart when the contact person was called on, and they weren't able to follow through.

Last edited:

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Iowa could have handled this better. When they noticed the tickets had been bought at the non-profit rate by the students, they could have said, "you need to pay the difference on the tickets" instead of just invalidating them.

Given how the Orange Crush operates (raising money for the Boys & Girls Club), I feel like how they ordered the tickets was a bit of a stretch, but not really by that much. Still kind of shady, but didn't deserve to have the tickets completely canceled.
They didn't invalidate them, they refunded the tickets.

So it isn't shady to order the tickets under fraudulent tactics? The Krush made their bed in this one. Then they had the audacity to gaslight Iowa in the process. Really dumb on their part.

• Agree
Reactions: 4theCYcle

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I think Iowa wanted to take the high road and not burn the Krush. But then the Krush tried to gaslight Iowa on social media and the AD had to release a statement about it. The Krush burned themselves on this one. Barta has messed a lot of things up, but he didn't do anything wrond in this instance.
GDI, I completely agree.

Reactions: iahawks

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
If Iowa didn't want to burn the Krush, why did they wait until a couple days before the game to cancel it?
I have no idea, knowing the Iowa AD they just found out about it. Why did the Krush use fraud to obtain tickets is the better question I feel.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I disagree.... not bringing attention to it and hoping OC would lick their self inflicted wounds, would have been best.... However, OC choose to open their mouth and not show one iota of a good faith purchase, nor a purchase what was factual.

OC got what they deserved here.
An easy response for the Krush was if they had any spare tickets to have invited the B&Gers with them. That could have saved them. It sounds like the Krush don't always fill all 200 tickets that they buy.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
If Iowa didn't want to burn the Krush, why did they wait until a couple days before the game to cancel it?
maybe they looked at the tickets allotment/sales for their next home game a few days before it happened.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
1. The Orange Krush is dumb for impersonating the Boys and Girls Club to get discounted tickets. Raise money and buy them without the discount. Can't be that hard to find tickets at Carver.

2. The Krush is even dumber for going public with this. Of course Iowa will respond.

3. Iowa is historically bad at anything related to PR. To get destroyed by Iowa in a PR battle is one of the biggest upsets of the century.
This right here especially #3.

Reactions: Statefan10

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
An easy response for the Krush was if they had any spare tickets to have invited the B&Gers with them. That could have saved them. It sounds like the Krush don't always fill all 200 tickets that they buy.
Easier response is a good faith purchase, and a PR letter showing their support/fundraising mechanism for the B&G Club. They did neither.

Reactions: BCClone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I disagree.... not bringing attention to it and hoping OC would lick their self inflicted wounds, would have been best.... However, OC choose to open their mouth and not show one iota of a good faith purchase, nor a purchase what was factual.

OC got what they deserved here.
Oh I agree they got what they deserved. I guess you're right maybe Iowa thought the Krush would just lay down because they were in the wrong.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I have no idea, knowing the Iowa AD they just found out about it. Why did the Krush use fraud to obtain tickets is the better question I feel.
I have no idea why they did that, it was in poor taste to impersonate them. Iowa requires any order over 19 tickets to go directly through a special ordering process or they will perma ban the buyer per the ticket office website, so they had to contact Iowa directly to do this. Not sure how this slipped through the cracks.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
1. The Orange Krush is dumb for impersonating the Boys and Girls Club to get discounted tickets. Raise money and buy them without the discount. Can't be that hard to find tickets at Carver.

2. The Krush is even dumber for going public with this. Of course Iowa will respond.

3. Iowa is historically bad at anything related to PR. To get destroyed by Iowa in a PR battle is one of the biggest upsets of the century.
In the Reddit thread on this (where there are illinois fans), people are saying the discount wasn’t for being the Boys and Girls club, it was just a group rate. The reason the OK doesn’t say that they are buying the tickets is teams won’t sell to them and they want it to be a surprise when they all show up in illinois stuff

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Oh I agree they got what they deserved. I guess you're right maybe Iowa thought the Krush would just lay down because they were in the wrong.
Iowa had the receipts... didn't show them to the world, until the OC went public. Krushed got Krushed, by the Iowa AD no less.

Reactions: VeloClone

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
It's crazy how bad Iowa is at their PR.. Like this situation could've been handled where all the light was on the Krush impersonating a non-profit but Iowa didn't put out a statement first. They should've had that statement put out right when they cancelled the tickets and it would've been perfect.
Nah that would be extremally petty and they rightfully would've been crushed for that.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Also, apparently the Orange Krush brought up the amount of money they raised for charity to go on this trip. It was about $15 per person

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Nah that would be extremally petty and they rightfully would've been crushed for that.
Petty? Like writing letters to all the ADs in another conference for a problem your own people made?, like raising a stink about a band situation that your own people made?, like firing someone because you don't like their choice of lifestyle, like........ No, I can't see Iowa taking the petty road.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Also, apparently the Orange Krush brought up the amount of money they raised for charity to go on this trip. It was about $15 per person
Guessing that looks to be about the amount between group rates and regular rate. Although looking at Iowa's site, they charge 20-25 for single game tickets, so that would mean group rates would be 5-10 dollars a seat. Seems a little light.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
From the OK site: "Invade an opponent's arena on an Orange Krush road trip".

They also share they have donated over $2m to charity.

They also list 7 Vice Presidents in their Senior Exec Board.... diluting the title, with hopes if it catching a job poster as impressive, is my take. Lame.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
From the OK site: "Invade an opponent's arena on an Orange Krush road trip".

They also share they have donated over $2m to charity.

They also list 7 Vice Presidents in their Senior Exec Board.... diluting the title, with hopes if it catching a job poster as impressive, is my take. Lame.
Vice President thing is very common in several professions. Banks have loads of them, basically the lending limits are based on title in some banks. Non-profit I was at called all VPs directors instead, we had several directors. I hated that because people got confused and thought I was on the board of directors. I started saying it's basically a VP level position that they label a director. That part is a hohum.

• Winner
Reactions: MJ29 and isufbcurt

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Guessing that looks to be about the amount between group rates and regular rate. Although looking at Iowa's site, they charge 20-25 for single game tickets, so that would mean group rates would be 5-10 dollars a seat. Seems a little light.
I think he was talking about the non-refundable bus. If it were me, I would still take the trip and maybe try to score tickets outside the arena or go to a bar to watch the game. Would still be a lot of fun.