Yet Another Boneheaded Move by the Iowa AD

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Funny that more Illini students would have shown up than Iowa students and they would travel the 3 hours or so!

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Since they already have the buses paid for they should still show up and buy tickets at the door or get some from scalpers. Raise hell at that landfill site.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Hate to say it but the Orange Krush got posterized by the Iowa AD. This is not a new thing for them, buying up tickets under fake organizations and invading opponents’ arenas but this time they chose a real charity to impersonate and got burnt once they were caught in the lie.
If you check Iowa ticket policies, if you try to buy 20+ tickets without going through their special channels, they will perma block you from buying. They are an extremely weird AD.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I haven’t read this whole thread, but the actual question the Iowa Athletics Department needs to ask themselves is why are there a block of 200 tickets available for a Saturday conference home game in February.
Answer the question!

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Hate to say it but the Orange Krush got posterized by the Iowa AD. This is not a new thing for them, buying up tickets under fake organizations and invading opponents’ arenas but this time they chose a real charity to impersonate and got burnt once they were caught in the lie.
Still not sure why they didn’t just ask them to pay the difference between their discounted price and full price? Kidding. It’s because they are petty and unsporting and need every advantage they can create off the court. Example 1 is the pink locker rooms at kinnick. Can’t believe in this day and era that isn’t seen for the sexist BS that it is.

I honestly can’t imagine pollard pulling this BS. He would fix it behind the scenes and arrange for some reciprocation of ISU students to travel to an away game at their place.

• Haha
Reactions: FatNTired

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Since they already have the buses, just ride to IC and probably will be able to pick some up on the cheap before the game. I don't think they have been close to a sell out other than against ISU.
Last sentence here is underrated. We actually show up for games and they only do for one when they have an orgasm over us. They will consider the season a good one because of that one win.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Looks a bit messy, given the alleged fraudulent application for the tickets. Of course, anyone can sue anyone for anything...but that doesn't mean they will win.
Yeah, if I’m Iowa my argument is “you committed fraud to buy these tickets. We are not responsible for other damages that you incurred as a result of committing fraud.”

Plus, does Iowa have small claims court what is the cutoff on damages? In Wisconsin, this would be a small claims case and the courts are willing to look more at “what’s fair” when making their decisions. I don’t think the court would be impressed with the Orange Crush’s actions here

Reactions: VeloClone

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Seems like the Orange Krush got crushed on this one. They really thought it would be a good idea to use a charitable organization such as the boys and girls club for a front? Barta handled this one correctly for a change.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I hate Iowa as much as the next guy, but I think it is great that Iowa held on until the last minute to cancel the tickets. If a student group wants to buy a block of tickets do so but to impersonate a charity to get them cheaper is weak. They have obviously gotten away with this for years so I'm sure with groups of 200 at a time they have already made off with more than the $6000 they are losing for getting their bluff called this time.

They will think twice next time before impersonating a charitable non-profit.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I hate Iowa as much as the next guy, but I think it is great that Iowa held on until the last minute to cancel the tickets. If a student group wants to buy a block of tickets do so but to impersonate a charity to get them cheaper is weak. They have obviously gotten away with this for years so I'm sure with groups of 200 at a time they have already made off with more than the $6000 they are losing for getting their bluff called this time.

They will think twice next time before impersonating a charitable non-profit.
Yep, plus they are only on the hook for 1/2 of the bus, which is about $18 per person so really not much of a loss at all. Also, it is awesome that Iowa donated the tickets to the boys and girls club in CR too.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Yeah, if I’m Iowa my argument is “you committed fraud to buy these tickets. We are not responsible for other damages that you incurred as a result of committing fraud.”

Plus, does Iowa have small claims court what is the cutoff on damages? In Wisconsin, this would be a small claims case and the courts are willing to look more at “what’s fair” when making their decisions. I don’t think the court would be impressed with the Orange Crush’s actions here
Small claims court "limit" is $6,500 in IA. I wouldn't think most Judges would be impressed with the fraud portion at all.

• Informative
Reactions: WooBadger18

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So is it confirmed that they impersonated the Boys and Girls Club, or that they said they were an organization that supports the Boys and Girls Club? It's a minor distinction, but I think important in this case. They do provide charitable support of the organization, and it seems this event was a fundraiser for the B&G Club. So throwing out that this is a fundraiser for them seems appropriate. But of course, saying you're with the organization is different. So to me, it comes down to how it is worded and was the ticketing agent confused about who was buying the tickets. But we won't know that for sure unless there was a recording of the conversation.

But this is probably just me being biased against the Iowa AD for how they have spun the football incidents over the past few years. So I'm not inclined to believe anything they put out in a oresser is the whole truth.

Reactions: NWICY and jsb

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
So is it confirmed that they impersonated the Boys and Girls Club, or that they said they were an organization that supports the Boys and Girls Club? It's a minor distinction, but I think important in this case. They do provide charitable support of the organization, and it seems this event was a fundraiser for the B&G Club. So throwing out that this is a fundraiser for them seems appropriate. But of course, saying you're with the organization is different. So to me, it comes down to how it is worded and was the ticketing agent confused about who was buying the tickets. But we won't know that for sure unless there was a recording of the conversation.

But this is probably just me being biased against the Iowa AD for how they have spun the football incidents over the past few years. So I'm not inclined to believe anything they put out in a oresser is the whole truth.
They admitted to impersonating the Boys and Girls Club and are still trying to play the victim.

• Winner
Reactions: AirWalke

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I don't blame that the U of I cancelled the tickets I just don't believe for a second they "just" found out about it. However, I expect nothing less from Barta.

A refresher in case you think he's not terrible at his job

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I will say I respect the audacity of putting out a public statement as being the victims knowing you impersonating a charity to get the tickets. Pretty bold move.
They over played their hand for sure. I don't think they expected Iowa to say anything and just take the high road, but I think they tried too hard to make Iowa look bad and they got burned in the end.

Help Support Us

Become a patron