Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Nice write up Chris

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Nice write-up. I like how you point "what if" scenarios. Lacey was awesome, and what would've happened if she stayed healthy this season. So many what ifs.

I am still not sold on the Huskers. With a healthy Lacey, we would have beaten them - I don't count the first meeting as that was the first big 12 action the freshmen saw. Last night game showed that Kentucky was able to expose the Huskers.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I am still not sold on the Huskers. With a healthy Lacey, we would have beaten them - I don't count the first meeting as that was the first big 12 action the freshmen saw. Last night game showed that Kentucky was able to expose the Huskers.

I agree; Nebraska certainly earned a #1 seed because of their great regular season, but the NCAA tournament showed they are not one of the top 4...

EHdakota

Jun 16, 2008
Sioux Falls
Whitney was getting her feet wet in the second game of her second year?

Sure, ISU shut down Baylor, and I loved the big win. But with a weakened outside game without Jones, the inside game really suffered.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Sure, ISU shut down Baylor, and I loved the big win. But with a weakened outside game without Jones, the inside game really suffered.

We like to play "what-if" with regards to Lacey's health, but imagine what Baylor's record would be if Jones had been healthy the whole year.

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Hopefully someone will step up and pick up some of the slack from the huge hole Aus is leaving. No one is going to fill those shoes but more than 1 player needs to step up by being that player who can take a tough shot with the shot clock winding down and another who can dribble-drive and handle the ball as well as Aus did. I'm looking at Bolte and Schroll to step up in the scoring department and Williams to be the one who can be the main PG.

We saw what this team was like without Aus and at times it was not pretty. Bolte especially needs to learn to be more agressive shooting the ball as she failed to get a shot off before the shot clock expired or passed at the last second and caused us way too many shot clock violations a few times. I remember senior day it was her and the 4 other seniors on the floor and one of the first possesions she drove in and hesistated, and wound up with a shot clock violation. Fennelly was red faced and yelling "take the shot!" when the team came back down the floor to play defense. I like Bolte's game but she can be frustrating to watch sometimes because she needs to get that mindset like Aus where you attack on offense with no fear instead of panicing sometimes.

I really think the future is bright with the 3 post players who will only get better but we're going to have to see some players on the perimeter step up their game quite a bit if we want to make it back to the Sweet 16.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Good recap, Chris. A season-in-review somewhat softens the blow of that UConn game.

Glad you mentioned how the absence of Aus might have had a major impact as far as tournament seeding. Nobody knows for sure if ISU gets a win over NU even with her playing, but it's no stretch to think it would have gone differently. I'm sure Aus would have helped make a longer run in the Big 12 tourney, too.

Key is, ISU could have crept up to a 3 seed AND been placed in a non-UConn region. With this year's field, that could've led to a Final Four. (Although playing UConn in the national semifinal might have been a bigger "ouch" than facing them in the S16).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron