Yankees win! Again.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I feel like you are trying to use stats you see but you really don't quite get what they mean.

A 0.5 WAR... 43% of the way through the season is roughly 1.3 - 1.4 which is basically a whole bunch of 2023 DJ LeMahieu's and Keibert Ruiz's.

Hell the Royals have everyone in their top 15 at 0.6 or better.

It's June... there are a lot of things that aren't going to hold up.
As with the last few years, the Yankees will go as far as injuries allow them. So far, they've done very well on that front, apart from Cole. I'm sure it'll fall apart somewhere between ALDS/ALCS range as per normal. Since it's been that way for 15 years now, people who still think the Yankees are the evil empire these days haven't been paying enough attention. Haven't been fearsome in the playoffs (barring one year) since about the mid-2000s, coincidentally about the time George got out...

KC has a good team. I think they can get over the Cleveland hump yet.
A lot Yank money goes to retaining players they trade for while also using up the minor league pool of players to trade for veterans. Most of the players starting tonight became Yankees via trade. Not like the Yanks farm system sucks, they just trade away a lot of minor leaguers in exchange for veterans. We have a tendency to forget minor league players traded. Luis Gill has been amazing for the Yanks this season and I was thinking he was a farmhand but got reminded Twins traded him to the Yanks in 2018 for Jake Cave. Yanks also spend the max on foreign players like giving a boatload to signing Jasson Domínguez.

Volpe, farmhand
Soto, traded for
Judge, farmhand
Stanton, traded for
Verdugo, traded for (likely replaced in 2025 by farmhand)
Torres, traded to Yanks as minor leaguer (likely replaced in 2025 by farmhand)
Rizzo, traded
Trevino, traded
LeMahieu, free agent
Poteet, free agent albeit a $487K one.

A lot of money goes to pitching and lot of it goes to retain players. Players that originally came to Yanks as free agents with big dollar contracts are Cole and Rodon. Coles been worth the yuge dollars. Rodon had an injury plagued first season but looks more like what they are paying for this season. And add Stroman into the mix of FA starters.
Can't diss the Twins for trading a 20-year old single A player that they signed as a 17-year old.. Gill also ended up missing almost two full seasons after Tommy John. 20 year old minor league pitchers are a complete roll of the dice. Yanks got lucky.
I tend to view minor leaguers traded in just as good as draft picks, since the MLB draft is a ton of wacky nonsense. As far as I'm concerned, traded-in minors players is talent identification. Gil wasn't much for the Twins and NYY turned him into something. Part skill, part luck, but it sure looks like skill when it works out great for your needs. That stuff goes both ways, of course.

Reactions: Moose72

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Congrats you beat the Royals

Don’t think there’s a Royals fan in existence, including myself, that expected anything like the way this season has gone

Could be an interesting game tonight. Looks like a bullpen night for Royal's and Yanks are starting journeyman Poteet. Going to likely see a LOT of relievers although Poteet has pitched well as a sub for the injured Schmidt.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Could be an interesting game tonight. Looks like a bullpen night for Royal's and Yanks are starting journeyman Poteet. Going to likely see a LOT of relievers although Poteet has pitched well as a sub for the injured Schmidt.
Helps when you put up 6 runs before even sending out your starter.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Give the OP a break. He's had a tough year with the Cowboys and Duke not winning.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
If we have a MLB pickup game of basketball, who has a front court as tall as the Yanks? With 6'-7" Michael Tonkin in the bullpen they might have him and 6'-7" Aaron Judge and 6'-6" Giancarlo Stanton.

Tonkin seemed an unlikely addition to the bullpen. Signed as free agent by Mets in December and than in April he was traded to Twins for cash, released and claimed back by the Mets, released by Mets and claimed by Yanks. So Mets to Twins, Twins to Mets, Mets to Yankees all in a span of 20 days.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Anthony Rizzo is out with a broken hand for a couple of months, maybe the season. Yanks are going to need to find a 1st baseman. Rookie they called up today is a catcher first and 1st basemen second. He's already messed up on defense with the scorekeeper generously giving the batter a hit. Going to miss Rizzo's glove.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Anthony Rizzo is out with a broken hand for a couple of months, maybe the season. Yanks are going to need to find a 1st baseman. Rookie they called up today is a catcher first and 1st basemen second. He's already messed up on defense with the scorekeeper generously giving the batter a hit. Going to miss Rizzo's glove.
But it won’t take much to better Rizzo’s bat.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
The New York Yankees are the Texas Longhorns of MLB. I loved watching the Red Sox steal 9 bases on them in one game (that's right, 9 bases) and taking 2 out of 3 from them last week.

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Yanks got off to a hot start but think they fad in the 2nd half. Caught lightning in a bottle with rookie Gill but looks like league has figured him out.......just take a lot of pitches and don't chase. Starters without Cole pitched over their heads and probably regressing to the norm. Bullpen is now getting exposed. Thinking wildcard with Orioles taking the division.

Help Support Us

Become a patron