Yankees win! Again.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Between playing fantasy baseball for like 8 years now and betting (way too much) on it, I know way more about MLB teams/players than most. I recognized about half the Rays lineup last night… and then they beat my Cubs anyway
The Rays are one of the most underrated organizations in all of professional sports.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneIce and Turn2

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
As a Dodger fan, this is my biggest complaint about their roster management. They build teams that are ridiculously deep and are geared toward winning 100+ regular season games, but in a 5 or 7 game series in October it's a much different story. The bats have a tendency to go quiet in October and the lack of elite bullpen arms and 1 or 2 elite starters is a recipe for disaster. We usually have a deep rotation and enough guys in the bullpen, but no one I would consider elite since Walker Buehler pre-Tommy John and Kershaw in his prime (who has sucked in October most of his career). For the haters - both of those guys were drafted and developed by the Dodgers by the way :)
As a Dodger fan, I get this. But...check the attendance records for the past decade. The Dodgers win a lot of games, and that gets people out to the ballpark, because fans like to watch winners. Until there is an attendance/revenue drop off, and management can conclusively attribute that drop off to not winning the WS, the Dodgers will probably continue with the same roster philosophy.

HighLeakageCy

Jan 3, 2024
The Rays are one of the most underrated organizations in all of professional sports.

It's a difficult row to hoe for teams like that because most edges they find get reverse engineered by the teams with larger budgets, provided the larger budget org has even minimally competent management. It's Sisyphus pushing that rock up the hill until they tweak the $$ system some.

That being said, anything can happen in the mlb playoffs when you have a 110-50 $300m squad against a 90-70 $100m team.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
As a Dodger fan, I get this. But...check the attendance records for the past decade. The Dodgers win a lot of games, and that gets people out to the ballpark, because fans like to watch winners. Until there is an attendance/revenue drop off, and management can conclusively attribute that drop off to not winning the WS, the Dodgers will probably continue with the same roster philosophy.
It also doesn't hurt that LA has 15 million people to draw from to try to fill a 55,000 seat stadium.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Team with a ton of money that just buys players other team develops is what I hate about baseball.

Do like Judge though.

The homegrown guy, Aaron Judge, for the Yanks is insanely hot after a really cold start to the season.

"The former American League MVP and Rookie of the Year has added another chapter to his legacy during a 41-game stretch in which he has batted .401, hit 21 home runs and driven in 49 runs for the Bronx Bombers." - MLB.com​

Dude is super humble and changes the subject to whatever some teammate did in the game when reporters ask him about his homers or stats.

And so far the Soto dice roll is playing off even if it only ends up being a one year deal and someone else signs him to a gazillion dollars contract after the season. Having Soto and Verdugo as lefties really helps flip the mostly righty lineup of past years. Plus Soto has played a decent outfield and seems to have fit right in, both things I was skeptical about.

Reactions: MeowingCows

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Dude, 9 titles since 1960 is the most in the league. The next closest is 5. Step back into reality for a bit.

You're right about post-2009 being pretty poor. Bad ownership strategy as far as I'm concerned. Far too focused on the international brand and selling jerseys and hats as fashion symbols, instead of, you know, actually winning games. The resources they have available should have the Yankees regularly dominating since MLB leadership doesn't value the actual product of baseball. Alas, George's kids don't run the org the way he did.

Step back into reality? Join the rest of us in 2024. The way the game used to be played off the field doesn't happen anymore. The slot system killed the old west way of drafting; you can't sit around and hoard talent or convince them to not sign in order to drop.

I like Judge and Soto as both players are good for the game on and off the field. I am personally just glad the Royals have star power with a couple of their players that make them fun to watch. Not bad for a team that lost 106 games a year ago.

Reactions: 2020cy

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Step back into reality? Join the rest of us in 2024. The way the game used to be played off the field doesn't happen anymore. The slot system killed the old west way of drafting; you can't sit around and hoard talent or convince them to not sign in order to drop.

I like Judge and Soto as both players are good for the game on and off the field. I am personally just glad the Royals have star power with a couple of their players that make them fun to watch. Not bad for a team that lost 106 games a year ago.
So I'm guessing this is a bad time to tell you that a sizable chunk of the Yankees position players right now came up through their farm system, as did some of the pitching staff? Judge, Volpe, Cabrera, Torres, Wells, Cortes, Gil, Marinaccio, Schmidt, Kahnle was originally a NYY draftee...

Now I'm confused if we're mad about the Yankees always buying all of their talent, or mad about them homegrowing it. This talent is what's leading the league right now. 7 of the Yankees top-15 players by WAR this season are farm talents.

• Winner
Reactions: dafarmer

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Congrats you beat the Royals

Don’t think there’s a Royals fan in existence, including myself, that expected anything like the way this season has gone

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
It's a difficult row to hoe for teams like that because most edges they find get reverse engineered by the teams with larger budgets, provided the larger budget org has even minimally competent management. It's Sisyphus pushing that rock up the hill until they tweak the $$ system some.
Exactly. No better example exists than the Moneyball era A's (HUUUGE Overachievers) vs. the John Fisher A's (Stink). Also didn't help that teams like the Dodgers, Red Sox, Cubs and Padres pilfered front office people instead of doing the reverse engineering themselves.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
So I'm guessing this is a bad time to tell you that a sizable chunk of the Yankees position players right now came up through their farm system, as did some of the pitching staff? Judge, Volpe, Cabrera, Torres, Wells, Cortes, Gil, Marinaccio, Schmidt, Kahnle was originally a NYY draftee...

Now I'm confused if we're mad about the Yankees always buying all of their talent, or mad about them homegrowing it. This talent is what's leading the league right now. 7 of the Yankees top-15 players by WAR this season are farm talents.

I love how you listed 6 guys with a WAR below 1 and one guy whos WAR is actually negative.

When 7 of your top 12 players by WAR are imports its important to go out to 15.

Reactions: Marcelason78

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
The Yankee$ traded Jake Cave to the Twins for Gil.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I love how you listed 6 guys with a WAR below 1 and one guy whos WAR is actually negative.

When 7 of your top 12 players by WAR are imports its important to go out to 15.
Everyone top-15 is 0.5 or higher this season. The 3 home talents of the total top-5 are >2.5. Keep spinning it, and keep being wrong.

Now, from a budget standpoint, yeah -- there's plenty of glaring problems. All of Rizzo, Stanton, Torres, and Rodon aren't really worth what they're being paid. Stroman probably isn't either. Again, that falls on the front office...
The Yankee$ traded Jake Cave to the Twins for Gil.
They did, but the Twins kept him saddled deep in the minors. Yankees actually pulled him up thru their system and into the MLB. Twins had control of him for a few years and did nothing with him. I'm glad they did, 'cuz Gil has been lights-out this season with Cole gone.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Everyone top-15 is 0.5 or higher this season. The 3 home talents of the total top-5 are >2.5. Keep spinning it, and keep being wrong.

Now, from a budget standpoint, yeah -- there's plenty of glaring problems. All of Rizzo, Stanton, Torres, and Rodon aren't really worth what they're being paid. Stroman probably isn't either. Again, that falls on the front office...

I feel like you are trying to use stats you see but you really don't quite get what they mean.

A 0.5 WAR... 43% of the way through the season is roughly 1.3 - 1.4 which is basically a whole bunch of 2023 DJ LeMahieu's and Keibert Ruiz's.

Hell the Royals have everyone in their top 15 at 0.6 or better.

It's June... there are a lot of things that aren't going to hold up.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Watching my Yankees pound a supposed contender tonight. If they get healthy, maybe 2024 will be their 28th World Series title.
And guess who has won a World Series more recently than the Yankees? My small market KC Royals!

Yeah the Yankees have a helluva team this year. Fun to watch them Monday night at the K. But I sure hope the Royals kick their ass tonight and again in the playoffs!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

A lot of Yank money goes to retaining players they trade for while also using up the minor league pool of players to trade for veterans. Most of the players starting tonight became Yankees via trade. Not like the Yanks farm system sucks, they just trade away a lot of minor leaguers in exchange for veterans. We have a tendency to forget minor league players traded. Luis Gill has been amazing for the Yanks this season and I was thinking he was a farmhand but got reminded Twins traded him to the Yanks in 2018 for Jake Cave. Yanks also spend the max on foreign players like giving a boatload to signing Jasson Domínguez.

Lineup Tonight:
Volpe, farmhand
Soto, traded for
Judge, farmhand
Stanton, traded for
Verdugo, traded for (likely replaced in 2025 by farmhand)
Torres, traded to Yanks as minor leaguer (likely replaced in 2025 by farmhand)
Rizzo, traded
Trevino, traded
LeMahieu, free agent
Poteet, free agent albeit a $487K one.

A lot of money goes to pitching and lot of it goes to retain players. Players that originally came to Yanks as free agents with big dollar contracts are Cole and Rodon. Coles been worth the yuge dollars. Rodon had an injury plagued first season but looks more like what they are paying for this season. And add Stroman into the mix of FA starters.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

They did, but the Twins kept him saddled deep in the minors. Yankees actually pulled him up thru their system and into the MLB. Twins had control of him for a few years and did nothing with him. I'm glad they did, 'cuz Gil has been lights-out this season with Cole gone.

Can't diss the Twins for trading a 20-year old single A player that they signed as a 17-year old.. Gill also ended up missing almost two full seasons after Tommy John. 20 year old minor league pitchers are a complete roll of the dice. Yanks got lucky.

• Agree
Reactions: MeowingCows