Yankees win! Again.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
Team with a ton of money that just buys players other team develops is what I hate about baseball.

Do like Judge though.
Sounds like modern day college football and basketball unfortunately.

• Agree
Reactions: mj4cy

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Watching my Yankees pound a supposed contender tonight. If they get healthy, maybe 2024 will be their 28th World Series title.

Congrats on winning a bunch of titles when everyone but fat white guys were banned from the game.

Maybe consider just making it to a world series first.

• Winner
Reactions: chuckd4735

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
It's the leadership in the sport. Has been for a LOOONG time. FYI:

• The average total team payroll across MLB in 2024 is $115,074,949.
  • The New York Mets have the highest payroll at $308,584,548.
  • The lowest payroll belongs to the Oakland Athletics at $63,442,679.
It's by design. To actually get better competitive balance, the league needs a salary cap and floor. Part of the reason some teams buy up other teams' talent is because those teams never retain any talent -- they sell it all away, every season. There's a big chunk of permanently non-competitive clubs.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
... You think NYY hasn't won a WS since, like, the 50s? Boy, do I have some news for you.

Did I say that? Winning 18 titles with a bunch of white dudes because MLB didn't fully integrate until 1959 doesn't really move the needle. Winning 9 titles in going on 65 years just doesn't hit the same as "27!!!!"

I mean maybe they will get back to one for the first time in 15 years because currently there are kids who are in college who have seen the freaking Kansas City Royals in more World Series than the New York Yankees.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Did I say that? Winning 18 titles with a bunch of white dudes because MLB didn't fully integrate until 1959 doesn't really move the needle. Winning 9 titles in going on 65 years just doesn't hit the same as "27!!!!"

I mean maybe they will get back to one for the first time in 15 years because currently there are kids who are in college who have seen the freaking Kansas City Royals in more World Series than the New York Yankees.
Dude, 9 titles since 1960 is the most in the league. The next closest is 5. Step back into reality for a bit.

You're right about post-2009 being pretty poor. Bad ownership strategy as far as I'm concerned. Far too focused on the international brand and selling jerseys and hats as fashion symbols, instead of, you know, actually winning games. The resources they have available should have the Yankees regularly dominating since MLB leadership doesn't value the actual product of baseball. Alas, George's kids don't run the org the way he did.

Reactions: cyclones7

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
It's by design. To actually get better competitive balance, the league needs a salary cap and floor. Part of the reason some teams buy up other teams' talent is because those teams never retain any talent -- they sell it all away, every season. There's a big chunk of permanently non-competitive clubs.
Between playing fantasy baseball for like 8 years now and betting (way too much) on it, I know way more about MLB teams/players than most. I recognized about half the Rays lineup last night… and then they beat my Cubs anyway

Help Support Us

Become a patron