Yahoo Sports Story on Matt Campbell

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

aauummm

March is National Celery Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
A lot of background research was done by the author of that piece. Also, the piece included a lot of personal, off the field, things regarding Campbell that you usually don't get to know. Great job on writing that up!

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
When people say he’s going to leave I point out he left a FULL RIDE SCHOLARSHIP at a D1 school to pay his own way at a D3 school because he liked the culture there. Why would he leave a culture he loves to go to a mess.

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
When people say he’s going to leave I point out he left a FULL RIDE SCHOLARSHIP at a D1 school to pay his own way at a D3 school because he liked the culture there. Why would he leave a culture he loves to go to a mess.

100 percent agree, look at jobs he could have had, Jets dumpster fire, Florida State a culture dumpster fire. I truly believe Ohio State is the only FBS job he would take, or a really good NFL job. I know that money talks but still.

CoachKM

Sep 19, 2008
West Des Moines
A rare behind the scenes look at what modern coaching is all about! Putting players first, using relationship building to garner trust and developiong the family structure will win every time even if the wins are not always on the field.

Very happy to have him and staff in Ames!

Reactions: Joe4Cy

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
A rare behind the scenes look at what modern coaching is all about! Putting players first, using relationship building to garner trust and developiong the family structure will win every time even if the wins are not always on the field.

Very happy to have him and staff in Ames!

Yep! I've said this for the last few years.....but as we've seen some of the "old ways" get exposed (abuse claims, racism claims, etc), his style is perfect (and i believe the blue print for the future). Solid football mindset, but holistic look at the young men.

Things like ensuring his staff can be with kids/family (embracing that) is WAY different than what you hear of the 90s Bill Snyder success model, etc.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
100 percent agree, look at jobs he could have had, Jets dumpster fire, Florida State a culture dumpster fire. I truly believe Ohio State is the only FBS job he would take, or a really good NFL job. I know that money talks but still.
He can't get a statue at OSU. He can at ISU. I'm told that's a big thing for him.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
and it's a culture he has helped build here as well.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
All those blue-blood programs are just so opposite of the Campbell-way. The Process, if you will.

The article put it best, Campbell is a coach that wants kids that start in the dugout-- not on 3rd base.

Ohio St has a roster of 3rd base kids. At worst, their on 2nd base.

That's a big reason Texas is struggling right now. Entitlement.

Hopefully coach realizes that now instead of leaving and then regretting the move later in life.