Xavier Hutchinson, future NFL WR

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Xavier Hutchinson just completed a remarkable season where he was one of the lone bright spots on a struggling offense. When the offense needed him, X was open. He leads FBS Power5 conferences in targets per game, catches per game, and is 4th in yards per game (min. 9 games).

Hutchinson has not only the skillset to succeed at the next level (route running, catch radius) but has shown he can do well with an exceptionally high volume. The below table shows where he stands compared to other Power 5 receivers in the last 5 years (min. 9 games).

image001.png

He's third in receptions per game behind a 2nd round pick and a Heisman winner.

He accumulated 13.6 targets per game this year, the most for a P5 receiver in the last 5 years. This was 1.3 more per game than Rondale Moore in 2018 and 1.4 more than Jahan Dotson in 2021.

He can do it all and there's a lot of information pointing to him being drafted in the first two rounds next year.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Xavier Hutchinson just completed a remarkable season where he was one of the lone bright spots on a struggling offense. When the offense needed him, X was open. He leads FBS Power5 conferences in targets per game, catches per game, and is 4th in yards per game (min. 9 games).

Hutchinson has not only the skillset to succeed at the next level (route running, catch radius) but has shown he can do well with an exceptionally high volume. The below table shows where he stands compared to other Power 5 receivers in the last 5 years (min. 9 games).

View attachment 106061

He's third in receptions per game behind a 2nd round pick and a Heisman winner.

He accumulated 13.6 targets per game this year, the most for a P5 receiver in the last 5 years. This was 1.3 more per game than Rondale Moore in 2018 and 1.4 more than Jahan Dotson in 2021.

He can do it all and there's a lot of information pointing to him being drafted in the first two rounds next year.
Maybe the most important data point, by all accounts he is not a ******** which goes a long way in the draft prospect

Reactions: cyclone1209

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
I'd love to see a break down on the drops hes had this year based on the number of times he is targeted per game and how that compares to other prospects. I think he could be a great pro but I could see that becoming an issue.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
I'd love to see a break down on the drops hes had this year based on the number of times he is targeted per game and how that compares to other prospects. I think he could be a great pro but I could see that becoming an issue.
Agreed. He came through for us alot of times but he had a few really bad drops that were huge. That said I appreciate what he brought.

Reactions: Cyclones8824

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
  • Agree
Reactions: BACyclone

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
He's an NFL possession receiver. Those don't get drafted highly. I could see him sneaking into the 6th or 7th round, but UFA wouldn't really surprise me. I do think that he'll make a roster if he lands in the right spot.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
I dont know how deep the WR class is in this draft, but I do know the FA market for WR's is weak this year so that should help him a bit. Hopefully he can be a day 2 guy, but probably a day 3 guy being more realistic. 4th or 5th round is my guess.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
I think a WR with X's skill is going to most likely go in Rounds 3-5. His combination of size, hands and ability to beat man coverage is going to entice multiple WR needy teams (which is a lot) that won't be able to pass on him much longer than that in the current NFL.

If he can improve on his 40 time and demonstrate some long speed in testing, that's the only way he could bump his stock into comfortably being Day Two or higher.

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
As a Chiefs fan, it would hurt to see it… but he’d be great in San Diego. He reminds me of a poor man’s Keenan Allen. Allen isn’t getting any younger, and Herbert would be a great QB to play with.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Do they have drills for receivers catching balls on the ground, over his head, and behind him? Then he would be a 1st rounder. Very few of his catches were in stride without a DB waiting to hit him.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
As a Chiefs fan, it would hurt to see it… but he’d be great in San Diego. He reminds me of a poor man’s Keenan Allen. Allen isn’t getting any younger, and Herbert would be a great QB to play with.

I fully expect the Chiefs will be taking another WR in the draft this year, and frankly X projects as a dude that fits their style. If he drops into the R3+ range there's a great chance he could be a Chief.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009

His drops were very ill timed, but I feel like overall, he was more sure handed that either Lazzard or Butler.