WWE Battleground

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Goldberg, a real phenom, which I don't think WCW even realized for weeks.

Look at all the guys that start with nothing but squash matches and still go nowhere.

How WCW was able blow it all is still mind-blowing to this day.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Tough break for Santino....though his character was always one dimensional, it had its moments.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Goldberg, a real phenom, which I don't think WCW even realized for weeks.

Look at all the guys that start with nothing but squash matches and still go nowhere.

How WCW was able blow it all is still mind-blowing to this day.

Post the 80's hulkamania days has there ever been a guy built up through a big squash match winning streak that actually maintained his momentum after the streak ended? If you count Lesnar I think he's the only one, and he had a lot more going for his character than just the streak.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I don't count Lesnar.

Pretty much always been a part-timer because he seems to be easily injured while participating in fake fighting.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I don't count Lesnar.

Pretty much always been a part-timer because he seems to be easily injured while participating in fake fighting.

He had his original 2-year run as a full-timer, so I don't think that's necessarily fair.

But you kind of proved my point. I don't think Goldberg was that much of a missed opportunity, outside of saving his world title win for a PPV. When you build up a guy solely based on his winning streak, the person you're really building up is the guy who beats him. You better have a damn good plan in place for shifting gears with the character because they have to lose eventually and when they do most fans will stop caring about them being an unstoppable monster. The problem with Bill Goldberg was that he just didn't have another level past looking really good beating the tar out of jobbers.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
He was looking for other places in the company. Maybe he can be the Authority's new lacky...er I mean the the New GM of the WWE.

DSC_5492.jpg

His best moment by far.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Goldberg didn't really like the business.
That's always going to be problem #1.

The decisions they make about these guys are beyond baffling at times.

That same company built up Ultimate Warrior for weeks as an answer to Hollywood's reign of terror.

They bring him in and have him get squashed in 10 seconds in his second match.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I haven't seen all of wrestlemania 30 yet so I'm watching the first CD tonight from Family Video (Mine has Elimination Chamber, Extreme Rules, and Payback.)

The first CD goes through all the matches up to the end of Undertaker vs Lesnar.

What?

Dino

Mar 26, 2009
Des Moines
I think I'm just so annoyed at WWE that the only thing left in it for me is the element of surprise. I get what you're saying. I have no doubt if people know things that are set in stone, they'll post as a spoiler.

I'm just glad no one spoiled that Cena would win the belts at MitB. That was a huge shock to me.

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You

I meant DVDs...

Cannot believe I said that.

Oh and they announced tonight's main event...Rollins vs Cena in a non-title match. But watch Rollins try to cash the briefcase in.

Also WWE Network is free until the 14, but you can't view it yet on the preview right now.

Last edited: