Wrestling Town Hall

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
It would be nice to have at least 1 traditional looking uniform. My opinion, the singlets with little cyclones on the back that look like polka dots are ridiculous.
Could not agree more. Those are atrocious.

Reactions: ST8TAILG8R

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It would be nice to have at least 1 traditional looking uniform. My opinion, the singlets with little cyclones on the back that look like polka dots are ridiculous.
You don’t want to know what HS kids are picking for their singlets of choice then. My thoughts are let the wrestlers decide what they want. The football team wanted black and several people here peed themselves over it. The current students don’t generally want to old stuff back.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
You don’t want to know what HS kids are picking for their singlets of choice then. My thoughts are let the wrestlers decide what they want. The football team wanted black and several people here peed themselves over it. The current students don’t generally want to old stuff back.

I get it but I don't have to like it. I've never understood the Bugles. Whoever came up with them in the first place, for any sport, should be fired.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
I love the idea of rotating and our black singlets look awesome IMO. I think the block I is held up due to being patented by Illinois.

Reactions: BCClone

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

1617987990166.png
This is cute . . . and therefore inappropriate.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
I’m trying very hard not to say horrible things about this.
Not sure why you would say anything horrible about Austin. I posted in another thread that he doesn't have a spot here with Ian coming back. He's been nothing but supportive of our program, coaches and wrestlers. I wish him the best.

• Agree
Reactions: jmb1498 and BigD

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Not sure why you would say anything horrible about Austin. I posted in another thread that he doesn't have a spot here with Ian coming back. He's been nothing but supportive of our program, coaches and wrestlers. I wish him the best.
While that is true, he is partially at fault for being irresponsible about his weight a couple years back. You are on scholarship to wrestle. This staff did him a favor by keeping him out and using a medical redshirt. Not saying that his concussion that year wasn't some of the problem but I think it was a combo of that and not being able to make weight. Who knows about this year. But he took a scholarship spot and the coaches worked with him to honor that. I feel like this is sort of a big bird to ISU when they did everything they could to help him.

• Agree
Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Him leaving cancels out any support he has had for the program in the past. All that support is forgotten. Now he’ll be supporting whatever new program is willing to risk his future for the hope he can stay healthy for a year.

I love AG. One of my favorites ever. You can search my post history. But all that support now seems very disingenuous.

Reactions: Scott34

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Would have loved for Gomez to stay, but beating out Parker would have been tough..Was there any news regarding the RTC at all? Are they adding any athletes or anything?
They introduced 3 RTC athletes 1) Kyven 2) Joe Colon & 3) Jasmit Phalka (from Canada) as well as the coaches, Nate Carr and the new coach whom I forget his name (I think he's Russian). Nate gave a great speech talking about how the above guys all contributed to David Carr and the rest of the teams success. He drove home the point that anyone whom contributes to the CRTC is seeing a return on their investment with the momentum of Cyclone Wrestling.... Thanks to all supports of CRTC!

Another cool moment was when they brought all of the AA & National Champ alumni that had attended to the front of the room. They introduced themselves but they all told stories and gave amazing motivational stories and tips (to the wrestlers in attendance) on how to work, think and achieve success together. It was a hi-light of the evening for me.

I also credit Coach Dresser and Staff for a well run event (as always). Almost all of the wrestlers attended and overall it was a great night. I'm very excited about the future of the program!

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
I noticed that Gomez started following Okie State staff and vice versa (Perry and Caldwell ) on Twitter

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
They introduced 3 RTC athletes 1) Kyven 2) Joe Colon & 3) Jasmit Phalka (from Canada) as well as the coaches, Nate Carr and the new coach whom I forget his name (I think he's Russian). Nate gave a great speech talking about how the above guys all contributed to David Carr and the rest of the teams success. He drove home the point that anyone whom contributes to the CRTC is seeing a return on their investment with the momentum of Cyclone Wrestling.... Thanks to all supports of CRTC!

Another cool moment was when they brought all of the AA & National Champ alumni that had attended to the front of the room. They introduced themselves but they all told stories and gave amazing motivational stories and tips (to the wrestlers in attendance) on how to work, think and achieve success together. It was a hi-light of the evening for me.

I also credit Coach Dresser and Staff for a well run event (as always). Almost all of the wrestlers attended and overall it was a great night. I'm very excited about the future of the program!
Really wish I was close enough to attend some of these -

Reactions: CyGold

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
While that is true, he is partially at fault for being irresponsible about his weight a couple years back. You are on scholarship to wrestle. This staff did him a favor by keeping him out and using a medical redshirt. Not saying that his concussion that year wasn't some of the problem but I think it was a combo of that and not being able to make weight. Who knows about this year. But he took a scholarship spot and the coaches worked with him to honor that. I feel like this is sort of a big bird to ISU when they did everything they could to help him.
I guess I can understand that take. On the flip side: My take is that he had a combination of health & weight issues that all resulted in him outgrowing the weight, retiring and then having second thoughts about his health & retirement.. It happens and I personally don't hold anything against him. I'm also not sure how it's a favor to use a Medical Redshirt. It's not like the staff has any limits on how many Medical Redshirts they can use so they waisted one that could have been used elsewhere. IF AG transfers and then beats Parker then I'd put that on the staff for not choosing the best guy. Personally, I'd bet on Ian. Do you feel all of the guys in the past that transferred to Grandview, Wartburg or other lower schools were also giving the bird to ISU? Just curious.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: cyputz

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Him leaving cancels out any support he has had for the program in the past. All that support is forgotten. Now he’ll be supporting whatever new program is willing to risk his future for the hope he can stay healthy for a year.

I love AG. One of my favorites ever. You can search my post history. But all that support now seems very disingenuous.
I'd ask you the same question I asked Scott34 above.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
My take is that Gomez has limited time to achieve whatever he can in wrestling. With both Ian and the ISU-specific concussion history to overcome, that's not likely to happen in our program.

He's a kid who wants to wrestle. I just hope he places his long term health first, no matter what.

Feb 2, 2018
I would not be surprised to see AG end up at grandview. It’d be risky for any program to give money to someone with concussion issues. Grandview seems to like to take on risky business. His sister is there, they have a championship program, he likes the area (I think), it would be a way for him to easy his way back into competition after 2 years, etc. I’m not saying that’s an option. I just wouldn’t be surprised.