WR Brody Brecht: ISU vs Iowa

Hawkize31

Jul 6, 2010
Might be an unpopular opinion but I don't give a **** about prioritizing instate kids. I just want the best players available. Iowa has very few power conference players.
If you can't recruit competitively in your home state it would be extremely difficult to recruit competitively in other states. Not impossible, just really tough without having in-state success.

I do think Iowa, ISU, and UNI are blessed with coaching staffs that out of state kids would be excited and happy to play for.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Might be an unpopular opinion but I don't give a **** about prioritizing instate kids. I just want the best players available. Iowa has very few power conference players.

In the 2021 class 247 gave out 4 four star rated players and 18 three star rated players from the state of Iowa. 17 have committed to a P5 school, along with 1 two star that also committed with a P5 school.

This was the best instate recruiting class the state has produced in over 10 according to the rankings.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Especially skill players. This guy will be a safety in two years after he comes off his redshirt. How’s Ryan Broyles doing these days?

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
What are the odds that this kid never plays a snap of football? I mean how good is he at baseball? Is he good enough to get drafted?
He has a 96 mph fastball and should get drafted. Word is he wants the education and experience of college though. He will play at least a few years. Who really knows what the future brings with Covid though. Sports as we know it might be different

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I think Brecht is going to be really good and wished he would have picked ISU... and I know basically every ISU fan in their right mind feels the same way. He's good.

But every kid needs to do what they feel is right for them. Can't judge them for that.

I do think quite a bit of his decision was due to being able to play baseball at Iowa though. I'm not sure what his major will be, but that may have been a factor too?

If it was ONLY about football, I would think ISU would be a bit more attractive to a kid wanting to be a WR, just based on the offense alone, as well as having Purdy for a year throwing to you, and the fact that Lazard and Butler have been put in the NFL, but that's just my biased opinion!

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
I hate to say it, but we are getting our ass kicked in instate recruiting right now. Some will say that the 25th best player in what ever state is better than this kid, so it will even out in the end. But I am not so sure.
If you cannot control instate recruiting it leads to trouble down the road, and right now we are getting ambushed in the 2021 class.
Go ahead and dislike this comment, but I am not sure how anyone can look at the current instate class and say any differently.

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=IA

This. ISU is getting crushed. That needs to change. I understand Brecht not choosing ISU, and not much could have been done, but gotta get some other guys.

Tommy Cicero

Dec 13, 2019
I was at a high school coaching conference at Prairie Meadows the summer before Matt Campbell’s second season at Iowa State. Campbell and Ferentz were both keynote speakers (Campbell one night, Ferentz the next). During Campbell’s speech he stressed that winning the in-state recruiting battle was a huge part of his “plan”. He said it was a must for Iowa State to be more competitive with in-state recruiting battles.

If you were to ask Campbell privately how he thinks that is going I have no doubt he would tell you it has been a failure.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
During Campbell’s speech he stressed that winning the in-state recruiting battle was a huge part of his “plan”. He said it was a must for Iowa State to be more competitive with in-state recruiting battles.

If you were to ask Campbell privately how he thinks that is going I have no doubt he would tell you it has been a failure.
Correct. "Owning" the state is a priority for Campbell, as it is for any coach with an in-state rival. Have to laugh at all these posters who "minimize" recruiting the best talent in Iowa.
They have no clue.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
This. ISU is getting crushed. That needs to change. I understand Brecht not choosing ISU, and not much could have been done, but gotta get some other guys.

Really? Last I remember Campbell is shattering program records just fine without winning the in state recruiting battle.

I was at a high school coaching conference at Prairie Meadows the summer before Matt Campbell’s second season at Iowa State. Campbell and Ferentz were both keynote speakers (Campbell one night, Ferentz the next). During Campbell’s speech he stressed that winning the in-state recruiting battle was a huge part of his “plan”. He said it was a must for Iowa State to be more competitive with in-state recruiting battles.

It's called pandering. Did you really expect him to say anything different to a crowd of Iowans?

Additionally, those insinuating there isn't talent that would be nice to beat Iowa out for in in-state recruits are straight up wrong, but it doesnt need to be the be all end all. Obviously this staff has done a great job in finding an alternative plan in identifying talent in Ohio, Michigan, etc. And probably was the staff's true plan to start with.

Reactions: cyfan21

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
He has a 96 mph fastball and should get drafted. Word is he wants the education and experience of college though. He will play at least a few years. Who really knows what the future brings with Covid though. Sports as we know it might be different

Yeah if Iowa State had baseball he would have got to enjoy college life instead of being stuck in Iowa City

Tommy Cicero

Dec 13, 2019
Really? Last I remember Campbell is shattering program records just fine without winning the in state recruiting battle.

It's called pandering. Did you really expect him to say anything different to a crowd of Iowans?

Additionally, those insinuating there isn't talent that would be nice to beat Iowa out for in in-state recruits are straight up wrong, but it doesnt need to be the be all end all. Obviously this staff has done a great job in finding an alternative plan in identifying talent in Ohio, Michigan, etc. And probably was the staff's true plan to start with.

You’re talking out of both sides of your mouth. I believe he meant exactly what he said to a crowd of Iowans. I believe they’ve tried as hard as they can to win in-state recruiting battles, but unfortunately their attempts have failed.

By saying he was “pandering” you’re insinuating that he didn’t really mean what he said. If that makes you feel better about the situation then fine, but please know it’s a ridiculous take.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
You’re talking out of both sides of your mouth. I believe he meant exactly what he said to a crowd of Iowans. I believe they’ve tried as hard as they can to win in-state recruiting battles, but unfortunately their attempts have failed.

By saying he was “pandering” you’re insinuating that he didn’t really mean what he said. If that makes you feel better about the situation then fine, but please know it’s a ridiculous take.

If he really said it was a "must" to win in state recruiting battles it was because of his audience lol

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
It’s always surprising to me how little talent comes out of the Des Moines metro area. Biggest population center, right in our back yard, yet only a few D1 players every year at most. Somehow the best players always seem to come from the eastern half of the state.

Brodie0

Apr 1, 2020
Campbell can find recruits like Brecht, Bowie, etc. out of state. Those guys are really good recruits, but you can get comparable players from other states, it just takes a lot more time and effort. But guys like Logan Jones, Connor Colby, Thomas Fidone, TJ Bollers, etc. - for the most part, Iowa State isn’t going to be able to sign guys like that from out of state. And being able to sign and develop the guys like Bowie and Brecht is going to help you with the few national recruits the state produces each year.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines

Better than talking out of my ass like you. I really dont feel bad about the situation as it is. Whether it's an Iowan or an Ohioan that's playing really doesnt matter to me. They're a Cyclone, nonetheless

Tommy Cicero

Dec 13, 2019
If he really said it was a "must" to win in state recruiting battles it was because of his audience lol

I’ll give you my best recollection of what he said... he was talking about his recruiting strategy.

“Well it starts right here in the state of Iowa. For us to get this program where we want it to be we have to become more competitive with recruits in the state of Iowa”.

TheBear

Apr 23, 2020

How is that working for isu? Do you really think you will get the higher ranked kids from other states when you don’t want to prioritize kids in your own state?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I hate to say it, but we are getting our ass kicked in instate recruiting right now. Some will say that the 25th best player in what ever state is better than this kid, so it will even out in the end. But I am not so sure.

If you cannot control instate recruiting it leads to trouble down the road, and right now we are getting ambushed in the 2021 class.

Go ahead and dislike this comment, but I am not sure how anyone can look at the current instate class and say any differently.

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=IA

Guess I’m going to have to go premium, just so that I can get the “dumb” emoji.

Some people are stubbornly wrong. I illustrate to him how meaningless these rankings are, and yet he still keeps going back to that well to whine.

Since I already proved that the 2018 Instate rankings were worthless, let’s try 2017.

The universal (Rivals and 247) top four players in that class were Oliver Martin, Tristan Wirfs, Mark Kallenberger and O’Rien Vance. Some posters here (who shall remain nameless) were doubtless pulling their hair out about ISU not getting enough of the top prospects in the state. Getting our *** kicked yet again.

From Iowa, Wirfs was definitely a stud, we’ll politely say that Martin has been hampered by injuries, and Kallenberger has a chance to start his last two years. I haven’t seen much of the rest of their other three signees on this list.

I don’t think that Rocky Lombardi or Zach Dykstra have done anything at Michigan State or Miami (FL), either. Please feel free to let me know if I’m mistaken.

To counterbalance Wirfs, ISU already has a full season of starts from Vance and #14 Colin Newell, and both look like they will be three year starters. Then Jake Hummel has been a regular member of the linebacker rotation, and seems a lock to start as a true senior.

That leaves Devon Moore and Alex Kleinow as the only ISU non contributors so far.

So yep, I’d say that Vance, Newell and Hummel is going to counterbalance Wirfs and (maybe) Kallenberger quite well. My point being that these Instate rankings are the next best thing to meaningless, and nothing to pull a Chicken Little act about.

For a refresher, ISU had the #4 and #5 guys in the ‘18 class, while Iowa had the top three. And this far, Zach Petersen and Trevor Downing beat John Waggoner, Dillon Doyle and Tyler Linderbaum.

Geniuses, I swear.

Most especially when the staff is doing quite well out of state.

I guess if you insist on running around shouting “The sky is falling!” In spite of simple facts, be my guest.

Reactions: wgleason