Wow was that Jiri or Loren Meyer?

copenhagen

Apr 23, 2007
He was awesome tonight. Peterson was excellent again, hmm where are all the Petey naysayers? Listening to them you would think he was averaging 8 turnovers a game and 1 lucky assist. Last 3 games 12 assists 0 turnovers. Facts tend to blur things i guess. Rashon was excellent, im somewhat shocked at the 3's hes making. Thompson had a couple good shots, Brackins was up n down. Feel sorry for Haluska, he has to make a three sooner or later, it must be driving him crazy.

johnsonjj

Apr 11, 2006
Johnston
He was awesome tonight. Peterson was excellent again, hmm where are all the Petey naysayers? Listening to them you would think he was averaging 8 turnovers a game and 1 lucky assist. Last 3 games 12 assists 0 turnovers. Facts tend to blur things i guess. Rashon was excellent, im somewhat shocked at the 3's hes making. Thompson had a couple good shots, Brackins was up n down. Feel sorry for Haluska, he has to make a three sooner or later, it must be driving him crazy.

No one is saying Peterson can't play ball. He is smart and doesn't make big mistakes. The problem is against good defensive guards, they are able to push him way out making it harder to start the offense. He has had some excellent games, but you don't have to watch many to know we are currently undermanned in the guard court at times.

DMCYFAN

Nov 27, 2006
I agree with this, Peterson is a very smart and skilled player, just physically isn't able to show it when he goes against better competition. If he was just a couple inches taller and thicker/stronger along with being a little quicker and more explosive he could be a very good player. Great shooter, great passer, good knowledge of the game and it shows in games like tonight. Just physically isn't gonna match up well with bigger more athletic gaurds. I personally really like him; smart, skilled, plays the right way. Just wish he had more size/athleticism. Can't fault him for that, he's doing everything he can for us.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Very happy for Petey and Jiri, great games by them. Jiri should be able to continue his play against Purdue, they have a very depleted frontline and their good players are pretty slight. I really liked the way Petey pushed the ball up the court. Hopefully we can see him continue doing that against the athletic players Purdue has.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
There is a reason Peterson is playing good ball right now. The defense is playing right into Peterson's skills. They are laying back in a half court defense. I will be very curious to see how Peterson and the rest of the team plays when they compete against a pressing team again. We struggled terribly against the press, and since the Drake game, no opponent has had the personell to be able to press us again. Scouts from talented teams will see our struggles against high pressure defenses, and I want to see if we have improved in that aspect.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Jiri was great and I would have been disappointed if he could not have run over that small team. He played to his level and NOT his competition's level.

mjlane

Apr 21, 2006

I don't suppose the level of competition has anything to do with that success, does it? I don't think anyone would confuse our last 3 opponents with Kansas or Texas.

By the way, Craig Brackins has 9 assists and only 2 turnovers in the last 3 games. Maybe he should share time with Peterson at the point. :wink:

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
Comparing Jiri to Loren Meyer is a little over the top. Meyer was a far superior athlete and player compared to Jiri. That being said, it is good to see Jiri playing better, although it is against much smaller competition.

hort4cy

Jun 29, 2006
Randalia, IA
Comparing Jiri to Loren Meyer is a little over the top. Meyer was a far superior athlete and player compared to Jiri. That being said, it is good to see Jiri playing better, although it is against much smaller competition.

Meyer a "far superior athlete"? That may be a stretch.

copenhagen

Apr 23, 2007
Look despite some of my posts im actually a realist

i know there will be some teams and games where Peterson will struggle mightily and it probobly wont be pretty. However even the naysayers must admit hes settled in and has been a decent player, especially for a freebie.

rkurth

Apr 11, 2006

Which Loren Meyer are you talking about?:confused: The one I
remember wasn't any better than Jiri. In fact, on a good night, Jiri is better.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Jiri obviously has more of the European style of quick pull up short shots and finess off of the glass. He is a little less bulky and quicker than Meyer. Meyer was more of a true center where he was fed everything down low and used traditional post moves to make his points.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Not to take anything away from Jiri and Peterson's games but you have to consider the competition too. Texas Southern was a BAD team. They suited up just 8 players and the tallest guy was 6-7 I believe. Plus they had Gary Coleman or Webster or someone that was just 5-3 on the floor too. Anyone get a kick out of him? His shorts were way too big and almost looked like pants on him!

Oh and about Loren Meyer, I might run into him again this weekend when I go to the girlfriend's family which is from Ruthven. Last year Loren was bartending at the local dive there. Word is he blew all the money he made in the NBA among other problems he's got. Not the brightest guy in the world I've found out...

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
I think that the only thing Meyer had on Jiri is size. He was bulkier than Jiri was and a true center. He probably had a better vertical too, but Jiri is much more skilled offensively.

Harry

Mar 27, 2006
Let's see, Meyer was good enough to play in the NBA a few years until he got hurt. Jiri will not get a sniff in the league. Meyer easily better player and Jiri better student.

ISUCLONES15

Mar 24, 2006
Altoona
Let's see, Meyer was good enough to play in the NBA a few years until he got hurt. Jiri will not get a sniff in the league. Meyer easily better player and Jiri better student.

Jiri is a much more skilled player then Meyer ever was. Meyer was a true Center. Jiri is a true PF. The only thing they have comparable is height, the college uniform they wore and skin color. :biglaugh:

Last edited:

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Loren Meyer used to win dunk contests and could leap and run much faster than Jiri. I don't see Jiri winning any dunk contests. That is what I meant by being a better athlete.

Meyer is also a better at blowing through every dollar he ever made in the NBA and selling drugs in his tiny hometown of Ruthven.:no:

Let's see Jiri do that!