Would you rather be in the big 12 or the big 10?

Big 12 or Big 10?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
We can never have a true playoff system until all the conferences are playing by the same rules. There is something wrong with a system that allows year after year for Alabama to play fewer P5 schools than Iowa State, and then be rewarded by a playoff bid for doing so.

The playoff committee could "fix" this tomorrow, just require to play in the playoff, a school must play 10 other P5 schools during the regular season, conference championship games do not count in that number. If the SEC only wants to play 8 conference games that is fine, but Alabama and LSU, you must go find 2 more P5 teams outside your conference to play each year.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I get that but it also kind of blows that the Big 12 has to deal with a loaded schedule every year and then you have the B1G and SEC who have the luxury of lucking their way into the playoff hunt due to unbalanced divisions and weak crossover games. Hell, the SEC and ACC are still only playing 8 conference games on top of that.
This guy put my thoughts into words in a way that I could not.

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I would invite NDSU if we needed to invite another Midwest long before that.

The Fargodome seats 18,700 for football, no way in hell any P5 conference takes a team with a stadium that small, and who wants to go to Fargo for an away game?

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Yeah I get that but I said playoff hunt not playoff bid. I don't care which way you cut it, it's all a numbers game and the committee has shown that they will massage the numbers to benefit certain schools.

Even if ISU was in the Big Ten, we wouldn't be one of those "certain schools."

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Even if ISU was in the Big Ten, we wouldn't be one of those "certain schools."
If Iowa State wins the conference title game and is 12-1 in either the B1G or Big 12 the odds of us making the playoff would go up significantly as B1G team.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
The little 8 and Big 2's club of elitist snobs sacrificed their conference for the almighty dollar by allowing teams who didn't fit their mold into the club. Now that Jim Delany isn't there ruling with an iron fist, you see schools challenging "the old way" of doing things. The conference has become a DUMPSTER fire with too many mouths to feed.

IMO the 12 team Big 10 setup was very good, (divisions and names not withstanding.) Adding Maryland and Rutgers was a step too far, and more or less a reactionary move to counter the SEC going to 14 teams. I'm sure the end result was to pick up 2 more ACC teams, but by then Maryland'sv move looked SO bad publicly, it was never going to happen.

Once TV markets don't matter, and one could argue, we are getting there already, Rutgers is 100% dead weight. They will NEVER be able to rid themselves of that walking disaster.

Cracks in the Big 10 dam have started to emerge. Delany thought he could poach a few more teams in 2023 for an even bigger TV rights cash in. What he didn't envision was his school's presidents making a decision to cancel the 2020 season, a move which will have ripple effects for a generation for ALL Big 10 programs.

I don't think the Big 10's next TV contracts are going to be anything more significant than what they are now. They will be even less if they lose a team or two in the next 3 years.

Nebraska waited an ENTIRE day before putting out a response that we are "proud" members of the Big 10. More than likely, they were working the phones all day with various contacts and lawyers. I could totally see them leaving the Big 10 in the next 3 years.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Big 10 for me. 1. I grew up in the NE corner of IA so I feel more culturally aligned with Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois etc. than schools in Oklahoma and Texas. 2. Collectively, the academics of the Big 10 are better -- Northwestern, Michigan, Penn State etc. vs. Oky State, Texas Tech and WVU? Not even close. 3. Big 10 schools get more money from the conference and 4. Baylor (not that Penn St and Michigan St haven't had their own horrible scandals).

And that's without my own personal motivation that I could see ISU visit some of the Big 10 campuses that are within driving range of me.

But ISU is NEVER going to get invited into the Big 10. They'd see us the way we see inviting Wyoming -- not enough eyeballs to attract to screens.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I get that but it also kind of blows that the Big 12 has to deal with a loaded schedule every year and then you have the B1G and SEC who have the luxury of lucking their way into the playoff hunt due to unbalanced divisions and weak crossover games. Hell, the SEC and ACC are still only playing 8 conference games on top of that.
I understand why some people might feel this way. But that's not really an issue with round robin scheduling, rather it stems from an issue that people technically have with how other power 5 conferences schedule and how the CFP committee doesn't consider those differences and thus weight things fairly.

I mean your stating of how other conferences have a "luxury of lucking their way into the playoff hunt due to unbalanced divisions and weak crossover games" instead just goes to show how diluted the product really is when using other scheduling methods, via conferences with 4 non-conference games or larger divisions and leap-year crossovers.

Playing everyone in your conference every year, and getting a home and home with everyone in basketball, it just makes sense.

• Agree
Reactions: Rolling Clones

ISU4NH

Aug 9, 2020
I like where we are. We have a terrific commissioner, superb AD and a superstar football coach. Facilities just keep getting better and the fan base is growing. Let's enjoy this ride and help continuing building the Big 12. This momentum will kill off any more talk of relegating ISU to a lesser conference.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I'd take the Big 10 because of the geographic rivals alone.
I get that. I do. But there is zero history there. I mean the hawks and huskers have been playing and they are “geographic” rivals and its still a nothingburger compared what I’m pretty sure would happen if we played them again if even just one time.