Would you rather be in the big 12 or the big 10?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Big 12 or Big 10?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
BXII seems much more appealing to me for a few reasons:
1) it interests me zero to play the likes of Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State or Indiana. Although I suppose if we weren't already used to playing WVU, TCU and BU, they probably wouldnt interest me at all either.
2) if we at times feel like we get pushed around by Oklahoma and Texas, I cant imagine having to deal with the egomania at Michigan and tOSU
3) Would move the basketball conference tournament away from KC
4) culturally and ideologically it appears our current administration is a better fit with current BXII schools than with B10
5) Basketball. Like with p.1 maybe its my lack of familiarity, but B10 basketball is typically boring as hell. Anybody excited to watch Northwestern play Penn State on a Tuesday night?

One plus for joining the B10 would be all close proximity regional rivalries. It'd be great to develop solid rivalries with Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois. It does suck to not really have a natural rival other than sorta KSU and KU int he BXII.

Reactions: keepngoal

Ace000087

Jun 10, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
www.f35.com
If the Big12 folds, the B1G is the best landing spot for ISU. Covid will pass and the Big12 is stable. We are fine in the Big12. Now if things change again in the future, no doubt the B1G has it's academic and athletic advantages.

That said, if the B1G offered ISU would likely accept. UI would be a conference game, and the B1G West division has many games that are a quick road trip.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Big 10, only because many more regional teams. Great for traveling to games. Also Big Ten Network.

I'd love to be in what Stansbury outlined...Ames nestled in the middle of KC, Minneapolis, and Chicago...

Reactions: LincolnSwinger

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
BXII seems much more appealing to me for a few reasons:
1) it interests me zero to play the likes of Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State or Indiana. Although I suppose if we weren't already used to playing WVU, TCU and BU, they probably wouldnt interest me at all either.
2) if we at times feel like we get pushed around by Oklahoma and Texas, I cant imagine having to deal with the egomania at Michigan and tOSU
3) Would move the basketball conference tournament away from KC
4) culturally and ideologically it appears our current administration is a better fit with current BXII schools than with B10
5) Basketball. Like with p.1 maybe its my lack of familiarity, but B10 basketball is typically boring as hell. Anybody excited to watch Northwestern play Penn State on a Tuesday night?

One plus for joining the B10 would be all close proximity regional rivalries. It'd be great to develop solid rivalries with Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois. It does suck to not really have a natural rival other than sorta KSU and KU int he BXII.
Even with OU and Texas being the big boys, I feel like Jamie is a very influential voice in the conference and has helped steer many things over the years. We wouldn’t have the level of clout in the Big 10 for quite some time, if ever.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
I'm taking the stability and money of the B1G. I'd miss our four Big 8 friends particularly the kansas schools, but regional rivals would be sweet. I'd hate losing almost all history by switching conferences, but considering our history isn't that great perhaps we become a new brand under Campbell and the BIG. Having Iowa in conference would allow us to schedule other power 5 schools which would be sweet. To be honest most of my hate for the B1G stems from my hate for Iowa.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
I like playing in the Big 12, but if the Big 10 offered us a slot, we would be stupid to turn it down. Look at all the away games that would be within an easy driving distance, Minn, UN, NW, Wisc, Ill, NW, and EIU. More money to upgrade facilities and less weather disadvantages for our spring sports teams, they are all in the same boat in the Big 10. Better academics to top it off.

It will never happen, but it would be great if it did, would also open up our non conference schedule to play other P5 teams instead of EIU every year.
Not to mention significantly more money coming in to the conference. Look at the reports. B10 and SEC teams dominate the top of the list along with Texas and Oklahoma. Iowa State/KSU share the bottom of the P5 teams with the likes of Washington State. Many of the B10 and SEC teams are double or nearly double our revenue. While there may be a hiccup if we play without incident this fall and they don’t, that imbalance will continue. Plus we are so beholden to Texas and Oklahoma.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy$

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Big 10, only because many more regional teams. Great for traveling to games. Also Big Ten Network.

Ehh. Not really. This has us replacing Nebraska, so that close game isn't part of the deal. We already play Iowa annually so that doesn't count. Minneapolis and Madison are similar distances from Des Moines as Lawrence and Manhattan. The Indiana schools are as far away as the Oklahoma schools. The Texas schools are comparable to Michigan/Ohio State for the closer ones, and Penn State for the further ones. Nothing in the Big 12 is as far as Maryland or Rutgers.

The Illinois schools would gain us a couple closer games, but I have zero interest in seeing a game at either of those places.

ISU's best spot is a stable, profitable conference that has as many Big 8 schools as possible. That's our home, so long as it's feasible.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Nobody knows how much money will get doled out in the future, Things could easily even out with most viewers streaming. F*** the Big 10 and the hoks.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Ehh. Not really. This has us replacing Nebraska, so that close game isn't part of the deal. We already play Iowa annually so that doesn't count. Minneapolis and Madison are similar distances from Des Moines as Lawrence and Manhattan. The Indiana schools are as far away as the Oklahoma schools. The Texas schools are comparable to Michigan/Ohio State for the closer ones, and Penn State for the further ones. Nothing in the Big 12 is as far as Maryland or Rutgers.

The Illinois schools would gain us a couple closer games, but I have zero interest in seeing a game at either of those places.

ISU's best spot is a stable, profitable conference that has as many Big 8 schools as possible. That's our home, so long as it's feasible.
You make solid points. The travel would be better for me because I live in Chicagoland. Obviously I’m an outlier.

Reactions: Al_4_State

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

But which would you rather go away to for the weekend and watch football, Minneapolis and Madison or Lawrence and Manhattan? Plus you get a trip every other year to Chicago for the NW game.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
But which would you rather go away to for the weekend and watch football, Minneapolis and Madison or Lawrence and Manhattan? Plus you get a trip every other year to Chicago for the NW game.

Madison would rock, but I've been to Gopher games, and the atmosphere at KSU blows TCF Bank out of the water. I visit Minneapolis plenty as it is.

Chicago's cool, but I'd rather go there to see Chicago things - not watch us play Northwestern in front of 20,000 people in a stadium that's literally crumbling.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I'm taking the stability and money of the B1G. I'd miss our four Big 8 friends particularly the kansas schools, but regional rivals would be sweet. I'd hate losing almost all history by switching conferences, but considering our history isn't that great perhaps we become a new brand under Campbell and the BIG. Having Iowa in conference would allow us to schedule other power 5 schools which would be sweet. To be honest most of my hate for the B1G stems from my hate for Iowa.
Campbell would probably coach here for life if we joined the B1G.