Would TJ drop everything and take the ISU job if it came open?

Cycl0nepower

Apr 4, 2020
Ohio
So? Fred didn't win any his first year to my recollection. I'm working so I can't really stat hunt right now but Fred was not good on the road. I'll take a few home loses a year for a decent record on the road in conference.
This isn’t Prohms first year. He has been total **** on the road. Give him until after next season and if there isn’t a lot of improvement than part ways. He’s a good guy, but we need production.

Reactions: Scott34

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I'm aware. That's why it is important for these young guys to grow together and set things up for a good 2021-22. Otherwise I'm sure we'll cut bait.

I think this is where we’re at. If he can show marked improvement this year and get back to the tourney by 22, I think he’s fine. More of the same, and it will be time to part ways.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
So? Fred didn't win any his first year to my recollection. I'm working so I can't really stat hunt right now but Fred was not good on the road. I'll take a few home loses a year for a decent record on the road in conference.

14-13 conference record at Hilton over the last three years. 18 losses total at Hilton since the start of 2017-18. I’m not sure I’m would define 5-6 home losses a year as a “few.”

Reactions: Gunnerclone

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
@Bader how are you and the team preparing for the DePaul game
We're going to chuck a bunch of threes without any paint touches or effective ball movement to get the defense to sag off the shooters. Sprinkle in some Bolton YOLO coast to coast layups. Once that doesn't work we'll revert to the fetal position and drink heavily.

Ok, the last part is what I'll be doing on the couch.

Edit: Also, I appreciate this on a personal level as that's how my last name is consistently (mis)pronounced (should be bay-der)

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
This is game 2 of year 6.

59-51 over the last 3 years + the first 2 games this year. He is well on his way to making that record under .500. And that time period includes the 2018-19 team that was extremely talented but poorly managed and poorly coached, with a disappointing 9-9 record in the conference.

Yeah, end of the day if you looked at any other coach in a P6 league and saw a 4 year stretch of "10th, 5th, 9th, and just lost to a midmajor at home and predicted to finish 8th-10th in the league", you'd think that coach is getting fired that year. And that's without considering what he was handed when he got here, which makes the current state that much more terrible- we'll likely have a 4 year stretch without an NCAA tournament win (3 of those not even in the tournament at all!), after a stretch where we'd won an NCAA tournament game in 4/5 years prior.

JP's history tells us he has a longer leash than most do, but for fans to be calling for it now isnt really out of the realm of what's normal. He honestly should have been fired last year when the future was apparent, and the longer we wait now, the deeper hole we'll have to dig out of.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
It’s really simple in my eyes. Iowa State has

We have a 14-13 conference record at Hilton over the last three years. I’m not sure how as a fanbase you look at that and say “No worries.”

Well you of all people should know that home courts are only worth 2-3 points, remember?

No. Home court advantage is 2-3 points in most leagues.

So I don't know what the big deal is. Am I happy with the results of many of the games.......no. And if they are playing this way come February, assuming they are playing then, I will get concerned. Next season they are still losing to teams like this in the same way you'll probably have no problem with me.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Why? It cancels itself out.
Win at home, add a few on the road (like Fred), you have success.

Prohm loses here and away. That's the worst trade-off.

Reactions: JBone84

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
We're going to chuck a bunch of threes without any paint touches or effective ball movement to get the defense to sag off the shooters. Sprinkle in some Bolton YOLO coast to coast layups. Once that doesn't work we'll revert to the fetal position and drink heavily.

Ok, the last part is what I'll be doing on the couch.

Edit: Also, I appreciate this on a personal level as that's how my last name is consistently (mis)pronounced (should be bay-der)

I had shiner cheer and spiked eggnog last night. Might as well make it festive

Reactions: Bader

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
The canned answer is no..........anyone could have done that with that easy draw and Fred's players.

Which is fair and I don’t believe he should get much credit for that either. It’s also fair to not give TJ credit for making the NCAA tourney with the previous coaches players.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Which is fair and I don’t believe he should get much credit for that either. It’s also fair to not give TJ credit for making the NCAA tourney with the previous coaches players.

No......no. I was being tongue in cheek on that. I believe CSP should get full blame for everything good and bad. Not just bad. Just making the point with T.J. I think he should be given every due coming to him whether he recruited the players or not. If he was coaching them.....it's his. Just making a point just like you.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Well no.................he inherited most of that group from the previous coach.

So... at ISU, you'd say the same for Prohm? He has 1 first round bounce as a higher seed w/o Fred's guys. If you rated the last 10 ISU teams, teams comprised of the players he recruited would likely be rated 7,8,9,10.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
So... at ISU, you'd say the same for Prohm? He has 1 first round bounce as a higher seed w/o Fred's guys. If you rated the last 10 ISU teams, teams comprised of the players he recruited would likely be rated 7,8,9,10.

Exactly. If Steve gets no credit for anything good with previous coaches players.....neither does T.J. I don't know where lies the confusion? T.J. did nothing great on his own at SDSU so I don't even know why we are even debating this issue. Debating the merits of two terrible coaches is like arguing whose fart smells best.

Reactions: heitclone

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Well you of all people should know that home courts are only worth 2-3 points, remember?

So I don't know what the big deal is. Am I happy with the results of many of the games.......no. And if they are playing this way come February, assuming they are playing then, I will get concerned. Next season they are still losing to teams like this in the same way you'll probably have no problem with me.
Great job of twisting what I said. If you are talking about the MEAC or SWAC it is 2-3 for homecourt advantage. If you are talking Big 12 teams likely varies from 3 (TCU) to 6 (Kansas) with most teams being 4 or 4.5.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron