Would Steele Jantz start this year if he had eligibility left?

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
All I know is it really scares me that we are starting a QB that was behind both JB and SJ until Steele got KOd in the KU game.

I was hoping we'd have someone talented enough to clearly beat them out, even as a RS Fresh. IM still not sure we have one of the top 12 QBs in the Big 12 on our roster yet.

Hopefully it's clearly obvious that Sam is going to be an amazing QB for us once the season starts.

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
All I know is it really scares me that we are starting a QB that was behind both JB and SJ until Steele got KOd in the KU game.

I was hoping we'd have someone talented enough to clearly beat them out, even as a RS Fresh. IM still not sure we have one of the top 12 QBs in the Big 12 on our roster yet.

Hopefully it's clearly obvious that Sam is going to be an amazing QB for us once the season starts.

Holy mixed message...wat?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Even if Steele did win the starting job this year, which I don't think he would, he would pee it down his leg a few games in and become wildly inconsistent again.

Steele had talent but could never harness it for an extended period. He would make an amazing pass and then blow a hand off or scramble wildly and lose 10 yards, followed by a pick.

JB tried really effing hard but never had the pure talent. If he was on, he could lead the team to victory. But if he was off, he didn't have the pure passing talent to overcome many mistakes. Look at the KSU game. If we have any kind of consistency at QB would could have beaten a TOUGH KSU team.

SR has some pure talent and also has shown some consistency. Time will tell if he can do it over a full season. I think he will be better at making the core plays than either SJ or JB were which means he wont have to make a spectacular play like Steele could at times. I think if he can be that guy all season we will see him also develop his playmaking side. Do the basic things great and then expand and push the envelope.

Steele could do some of the spectacular and exciting plays but he never did the basic things well and that cost us.
JB could do some of the basics well but not consistently enough and he struggled when we needed him to step up and do more.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Lets just hope Richardson doesn't catch the flu this year, otherwise we can cross that game off our schedule.

02e3e9d61.gif

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010

Jantz was looking pretty terrible in that game before he left though, and Richardson came in and made it look easy.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Jantz was looking pretty terrible in that game before he left though, and Richardson came in and made it look easy.

I think that is Sams strong point. Make the basic game look easy. Execute. If he can do that, it will make the whole offense look better and we can win games.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
I would let Steele start against Iowa, but no other team.

Besides, hasn't he moved on to the NFL? LOLOLOLOL. I remember some posters delusionally thinking he would get a look.:rolleyes:

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
This is one of the worst plays I had ever seen in person:

[video=youtube;YeMhNeTf98U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeMhNeTf98U[/video]

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
This is one of the worst plays I had ever seen in person:

[video=youtube;YeMhNeTf98U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeMhNeTf98U[/video]

Classic Steele Jantz play. I could live with the interceptions here and there, but the fumbles were flat out ridiculous. Take away his unforced turnovers and ISU would have won a few more games the past two years.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Steele Jantz was awesome in the non-conference games at the beginning of the 2 years he played. He must not have liked cold weather or something.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Steele Jantz was awesome in the non-conference games at the beginning of the 2 years he played. He must not have liked cold weather or something.

I think conference teams did a better job of exploiting his weaknesses and taking away what he could create.

He had to come form behind in a lot of non-con games because of his erratic play, even against UNI. Conference teams did a better job of not letting him come back.

Help Support Us

Become a patron