Worst towns in Iowa

Falselife

Jul 28, 2011
Milo, Palmyra, Promise City.

I lived in Milo as a child. It's far from the worst town in Iowa. It still has Fourth of July festivities and a Christmas celebration, I believe. I'll give Milo a pass, but not Indianola.

Indianola sucks.

It also used to be called Indiananola according to the old state map in Hotel Fort Des Moines.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Well maybe Ottumwa wasn't the worst town this year. They might have done something to improve or maybe another city did something worse to move up.

I hear that they did get a Kohls....

But Clark lives there so I suppose those would even each other out, right?

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Cedar Rapids. everything along HWY 30 East of CR. Every town along the mississippi. there's a lot of trashy crapiness going on over there.

to be honest, I think the Iowa City area (IC, coralville, North liberty) is one of the few okay places to live in eastern Iowa. besides all the haweye people of course.

Negative rep all around. Sister lives in IC and she and her neighbors get crap taken all the time. Little stuff like flower pots and lawn ornaments. River towns have CHARACTER, okay? And I chose to live in one of those little towns E. of CR on US 30.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Too lazy to search but there is already a thread on this.
Oh, and it is Clinton. No question.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I see a lot of towns in my winter travels and this is just based on impressions and the small number of people I have interacted with:

Waterloo, Durant, Riverside, Allison, Ottumwa, Clinton, Mt. Pleasant (never met a person from MP who wasn't a total d-bag. If any CFers are from MP you are automatically excluded)

updates: Keokuk, Marshalltown (how could I forget)

Last edited:
Reactions: GoCubsGo

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I see a lot of towns in my winter travels and this is just based on impressions and the small number of people I have interacted with:

Waterloo, Durant, Riverside, Allison, Ottumwa, Clinton, Mt. Pleasant (never met a person from MP who wasn't a total d-bag. If any CFers are from MP you are automatically excluded)

From CF or from MP?

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Agree about MP! For whatever reason it seems like everyone I have met from MP is incredibly arrogant...and I can't figure out why!

Reactions: GoCubsGo

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
This thread has already been done before and it ends exactly the same. People throw out names of supposed crappy towns, somebody gets butt hurt because their town was mentioned, and an argument ensues. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
This thread has already been done before and it ends exactly the same. People throw out names of supposed crappy towns, somebody gets butt hurt because their town was mentioned, and an argument ensues. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I hear "The Metro" is a pretty crappy place to live.

Reactions: cyfanatic

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Negative rep all around. Sister lives in IC and she and her neighbors get crap taken all the time. Little stuff like flower pots and lawn ornaments. River towns have CHARACTER, okay? And I chose to live in one of those little towns E. of CR on US 30.

Does your sister live downtown IC? I can see that near the ped mall with the drunks coming home from the bars. If you have to interact with the drunk kids, it sucks, but I gotta say, otherwise it's not too bad, and it certainly has gotten better as an ISU fan the last few years as the biggest jackarses have had their mouth shut for them....thanks Paul, Fred, and the teams.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Does your sister live downtown IC? I can see that near the ped mall with the drunks coming home from the bars. If you have to interact with the drunk kids, it sucks, but I gotta say, otherwise it's not too bad, and it certainly has gotten better as an ISU fan the last few years as the biggest jackarses have had their mouth shut for them....thanks Paul, Fred, and the teams.

SE IC has a lot of problems that have nothing to do with the college population!

benjay

Mar 23, 2006

People from one small town telling people from another how much better they are. Too much irony.

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
Apparantly nobody on here has ever been to Storm Lake. I remember that town being pretty good back in the 80's. But is has gone down hill in high gear. It is sad to go back to that town and see what it has become. Infact, I remember there being a story on the news about how bad it has become. So sad:sad:

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
I grew up in Des Moines and I have lived in Muscatine for the past 7 months. It's pretty bad over here.... Good thing I'm moving today.

I grew up in Muscatine. I didn't really realize how much it stunk until I had lived somewhere else. My family that still live there are oblivious to it. Though, it has gotten a lot better in the last few years. for a town of 25000, it is sad when the best restaurant was a golden coral. Then it was Applebees. But now they do have a couple really nice places thanks to the rich Californians that moved there when Hon merged with a california tech company. It definitely is a town of the haves, and the have nots. Nightlife/entertainment/shopping are non existent there.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Perry, Storm Lake, Columbus Junction. Pretty much anyplace where the packing plants moved in and brought the trash.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron