Working on Juneteenth?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I’m “unlimited” but I’d say 95+ percent of our employees are not. It’s one of those have to have a reason to be gone type of places where your PTO is eaten up by regular holidays for the first few years. Then you deserve maybe a week or whatever.
When I first started at of college it was usual to have to work one full year to get one week of vacation. Some would require you to work 5 years to get 2 weeks. I managed to get a week my first year. The PTO accruals started because vacation would be granted January 1st and many places, a lot of people changed jobs January 2-14. They could come back from New years, out in their vacation request for the next two weeks and then put in a two week notice.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Thanks for sharing that. It feels like that could would have happened 500 years ago. Yet it was happening in our parents, grandparents, and some of those on here lives. Heartbreaking.

I wish everyone would be required to watch that. Reggie Jackson is my Dad's age. That's crazy and sad and too often we try to make it seem like that stuff is far back in the past. It's really not.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Thanks for sharing that. It feels like that could would have happened 500 years ago. Yet it was happening in our parents, grandparents, and some of those on here lives. Heartbreaking.
It happened in my lifetime in the city where I was born and raised - which was literally the "Worst City in the World" at the time. What Reggie went through was beyond AWFUL and SHAMEFUL, and what he expressed yesterday was very POWERFUL. He spoke his TRUTH, and I am glad he did.

A GREAT book on the subject is Southern League by Larry Colton

On the lighter side, I saw Reggie play in the 3rd MLB Game I ever attended in 1986 - playing Right Field for the California Angels against the Toronto Blue Jays. I sat in the Right Field bleachers @ Anaheim Stadium that evening cheering for Reggie and the Angels on a glorious night for baseball.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClubCy

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Damn. That Reggie Jackson video was a tough watch. That really wasn't that long ago.

As not great as things still are, it's really hard to imagine that happening today, and if anything should give people some optimism that we aren't completely doomed yet.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Off topic, but my wife's employer is closing the office on July 5th and making every take a PTO day. I'm not quite sure that's legal...
If I were an employee of the company, I'd probably welcome it assuming I had enough PTO banked (which I always do tend to have at current job).

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Off topic, but my wife's employer is closing the office on July 5th and making every take a PTO day. I'm not quite sure that's legal...
My office is closed from Christmas to New Years day every year. Hourly employees are forced to take PTO the few days in between or not get paid. No-hourly folks have unlimited PTO so I think they just figured half the company would take those days off regardless.

• Angry
Reactions: isufbcurt

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I wish everyone would be required to watch that. Reggie Jackson is my Dad's age. That's crazy and sad and too often we try to make it seem like that stuff is far back in the past. It's really not.

I'm glad Reggie added that "fortunately" he had a manager and players who had his back.

Because having listened to my father in law for many hours, who grew up in the south with all their hospitality and didn't have the cushion of being a pro athlete puts in perspective of how it was worse than Reggie described.

Reactions: jsb

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
It's not all in the past.

I had a former co-worker go to a job site in Arkansas (small town) for a week. Ex-USMC officer, white. Goes to a national hotel chain to check in. It's late, maybe 10pm. He asks the lady where he can go get a beer. She says hotel bar closed, only place in town is across the tracks, but you don't want to go there because that the N* bar.

He was shocked to hear that from a stranger, at her workplace, in public, to a stranger, and just super casual about it. He didn't really react. She treated him to a few more n-bombs as she checked him in and told him where not to go in town, and he shuffled off to bed.

Next day he meets up with 2 other co-workers (both black) for breakfast, and is like concerned and "hey, how are you guys doing here in this place" and they're like "oh yeah, this is just how it is some small towns like this". Like they weren't really all that shocked. THAT shocked him (me too), but then, he's white, the military doesn't tolerate it at all, etc. Gave me a new level of empathy about it, realizing that people I knew still were dealing with this BS.

Anyway, that was an eye-opener to him and me both, that just because we don't see or feel it, doesn't mean it doesn't still exist. Be decent, raise your kids decent, and speak up against it when you see it.

• Agree
Reactions: AlaCyclone

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It's not all in the past.

I had a former co-worker go to a job site in Arkansas (small town) for a week. Ex-USMC officer, white. Goes to a national hotel chain to check in. It's late, maybe 10pm. He asks the lady where he can go get a beer. She says hotel bar closed, only place in town is across the tracks, but you don't want to go there because that the N* bar.

He was shocked to hear that from a stranger, at her workplace, in public, to a stranger, and just super casual about it. He didn't really react. She treated him to a few more n-bombs as she checked him in and told him where not to go in town, and he shuffled off to bed.

Next day he meets up with 2 other co-workers (both black) for breakfast, and is like concerned and "hey, how are you guys doing here in this place" and they're like "oh yeah, this is just how it is some small towns like this". Like they weren't really all that shocked. THAT shocked him (me too), but then, he's white, the military doesn't tolerate it at all, etc. Gave me a new level of empathy about it, realizing that people I knew still were dealing with this BS.

Anyway, that was an eye-opener to him and me both, that just because we don't see or feel it, doesn't mean it doesn't still exist. Be decent, raise your kids decent, and speak up against it when you see it.

For sure. And it is not just the south.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It definitely is legal.

Seems wild to me. It's closed just like it would be on a Saturday or Sunday. With the way our schedules as set up this year she'd just as soon work and bank that day for later on. Oh well.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron