work-from-home boom will lift productivity in the U.S. economy by 5%

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The working from home movement presents big challenges to any company who values culture, relationships, training, education, employee loyalty, client service... and so on. I don't find this topic very simple and clear cut at all.

What sort of culture?

Those things can't happen outside of an office?

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: Cy$ and isufbcurt

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The working from home movement presents big challenges to any company who values culture, relationships, training, education, employee loyalty, client service... and so on. I don't find this topic very simple and clear cut at all.
I agree somewhat, but all companies having those challenges you highlight in a work from home environment is not clear cut either. That sword cuts both ways. A lot of different factors go in to whether a company will have those issues with employees working from home.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
This is surprising but there is also a down side to this. Doing things virtual is very impersonal, it can have an impact on work culture and can weaken the strength of a team. It's great for some fields but it also has a negative impact. It would be miserable to work for a company that's biggest priority is productivity.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I’ve been navigating this for the past 14 months, between staff I manage, project teams, clients, and myself. Certainly this varies by field but for my industry, The short version of my take on it - there are staff who I trust implicitly to work at home and who are very productive. There are also many who are harder to trust who are not as productive. Most are somewhere in between. Me, I am happiest and most productive working in the office - I like to see my coworkers, like to get up and leave home in the morning, and like the convenience of my office set up and the support it provides to help do my job.

Collaboration can be a pain when you can’t all be in the same place. Overall it’s more productive when we can be working together face to face, but there are several people who based on their role and work ethic I would be totally fine with working at home forever if they choose to. Others need to be back at the office. The coming hybrid work environment will be interesting as I don’t think a one size fits all approach will work very well, but of course it will be an HR challenge to let some people work from home while expecting others to be in the office. But that is the best approach I think, to make decisions on a case by case basis based on job duties and demonstrated ability to work from home.

I agree the face to face meeting gets more done especially on specific projects, etc. Just easier to communicate etc. Emailing or texting specifically just gets too mixed up and tone, etc. can be misinterpreted.

But the freedom for a group to be able to meet when/where it works best for them to be most productive (which is not always at the same time set by management) is helpful.

In addition, meeting times being set for a certain time amount no matter what. I've been in meetings that were 'required' to be an hour, but things got done in about 15 minutes and other things that needed attention could have been the focus shift.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
We're still working from home and I haven't heard of a return to office date. Now that I have been doing it for over a year I have a decent routine.
I'm not sure if my productivity is up 5%.

One thing about being in the office is you get a better feel for everything that is going on. Working from home seems to put many people in a bubble so they don't see the big picture.

Last edited:
Reactions: CascadeClone

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
For me personally, when I work from home, I would say I am online for longer periods of time. Basically my commute time is spent logged in to my computer.

I'm not going to say I love working from home, it certainly has its challenges for me. I did like personal interaction with people, especially when discussing design options.

That being said, the benefits outweigh the negatives by quite a bit when we are discussing productivity. I don't usually get on and start working any earlier than I did before I commuted to the office, but where they win, I'm more likely to stick around and do an extra bit of work well after the normal, "Quitting Time" because I'm already at home. My commute is whatever time it takes me to log off of my computer.

Especially this time of year, when it starts to get nice outside, I wanted to be home to enjoy the weather before it got dark or too cold. That just isn't as big of an issue now. And even better, if I need to get out an mow the lawn, I do it, then just come back in and work some more after it's dark. Before, if I had to mow, I left at 5 and never came back until the next morning.

• Agree

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

There are a lot of jobs that this kind of thing just doesn't apply to though. I'm an accountant. Nobody needs to see me and my job is super siloed. There is absolutely no reason for me to be going into the office. 90% of days I don't need to have any interaction with people.

The easiest way to absolutely bring my company loyalty to zero would be to make me go back into the office 5 days a week. Thankfully my employer won't, but if they did, I'd be stapling my resume to telephone poles to try to find my next stop.

I'm a very early riser. I wake up about 5:00 AM and get to work right away. Take a break to bring little guy to day care from 7:30 to 8:00. Take a break at noon to workout until 1:00 or 1:15. then I get back to work about 4 or 5. I'm working more than I ever have and I'm honestly enjoying it more.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
It's been a blessing to cutout my 3 minute commute. It has allowed me to work an extra couple hours a day from my home office. Now I roll out and hit my home office at 6:30am until 5:30pm. Before, since I had to leave the house I would go work out first and then go to the office, so I have been able to eliminate the exercise too.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
So, let me get this straight. A desk job, able to be done anywhere there's an internet connection has people disputing its net gain. No surprise. No driving, by itself, is chocked full of good reasons: lower insurance, lower fuel consumption, lower maintenance, less stress, more time to devote to job. I'm sure the opponents will be funded by those associated industries (ie car, insurance, gas). But, now let's consider the savings in commercial real-estate. A whallop of savings.
Of course, initially, there will be more adjustment pains, but being in the industry, any company not already designed for remote workers was just plain negligent. I had already prepared all the small businesses I consult for.
The bottom line is: ALL companies should be shifting towards split labor policies. Better for everyone ... and the planet.

My business is moving in 2 months. 20% of the previous office space, 300% increase in warehouse space.

We're swapping out office space we no longer need for ability to ship and store more products in house. Bringing some shipping and fulfillment in house. Companies in shipping and fulfillment are booming anyway in spite of this.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
My wife and I easily are working 50+ hour weeks since our commute is a few steps. It's also VERY easy to login once the baby goes to sleep. I want to go back to the office so my work week returns to 40 hours and I can leave my work... at work

Long term I really hope I can go hyrbid and WFH part time and in the office part time
My wife has been WFH for over a year and this is her takeaway as well. She enjoys aspects of it, like wearing a hoodie/yoga pants to work, sleeping in, no commute etc, but our house is small and her office is in our living room, so there really is no 'escape' from work for her.

I did WFH for 6 months in 2020, went back early November. Certainly miss aspects of it, but admit I noticed my productivity went up a lot once I was back in the office.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I'm fortunate to have a hybrid schedule that predates the pandemic. So switching to 100% remote wasn't actually that difficult for me. I'm back to a hybrid model. I'm in my office when I need to be. But there is zero reason for me to commute in every single day.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
My employer has been handling this the exact opposite of most -- their default position is to leave everyone WFH and slowly introduce purely-voluntary options to come back area by area. Right now, WFH default is already extended at least into September.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I absolutely hated working from home. And I’m glad I’m not anymore.

Me too, but I think it's just because I didn't know how to benefit from it yet. Now I enjoy helping my kids get ready in the morning and having lunch with my wife.

I am excited to get back to the office, because there's certainly value in my work, but am disappointed to see a pretty hard stance being taken by my company. I've been pushing for a bit of a "schedule." I think most people need flexibility in the mornings & afternoons. Have people on site 2-3 days a week from 9:30 - 2:30 or something. One day is your known, big meetings. The other day is meeting free to allow walk-up conversations & quick collaboration.

We'll ultimately lose talent by being so hard-lined on this.

• Agree

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
It's not as simple as some think it is. A LOT of it depends on the kind of work being done - is it individual contributor type work or does it require lots of team interaction to get it done? Some things really lend themselves to WFH, and others are impossible or just really difficult.

The other elephant in the room is the specific employee. Some people are not good on their own - either they aren't happy working alone, some because they are flat out lazy. Personally, I am less effective WFH, I would rather be in the office.

Just from this thread you can see the different types of work and personal preferences showing (e.g. BryceC vs Buster28).

There are real benefits to WFH, less commute time, closer to family, lower office costs and reduced energy use. But there are drawbacks too. Less human social interaction, less sense of belonging from being part of a team.

In most environments, some kind of flexible hybrid is the best solution. Which I think is what most places will do going forward.

ALL of our employees are wanting to get back into the office full time, and we have had to push back to keep them out. We've always been flexible when someone has a sick kid, etc to let them WFH anyway. But we did an informal count, and about 70% are vaccinated, our office environment is not cramped at all, so we figured the risk will be low enough to let folks come back in May 3rd.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
My wife has been WFH for over a year and this is her takeaway as well. She enjoys aspects of it, like wearing a hoodie/yoga pants to work, sleeping in, no commute etc, but our house is small and her office is in our living room, so there really is no 'escape' from work for her.

I did WFH for 6 months in 2020, went back early November. Certainly miss aspects of it, but admit I noticed my productivity went up a lot once I was back in the office.

Yep. I also handle the training for all of our college student co'op interns. Not being able to coach them and mentor them has me worried we won't be able to retain a couple of them who will be AWESOME FTE's when they graduate

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I agree the face to face meeting gets more done especially on specific projects, etc. Just easier to communicate etc. Emailing or texting specifically just gets too mixed up and tone, etc. can be misinterpreted.

But the freedom for a group to be able to meet when/where it works best for them to be most productive (which is not always at the same time set by management) is helpful.

In addition, meeting times being set for a certain time amount no matter what. I've been in meetings that were 'required' to be an hour, but things got done in about 15 minutes and other things that needed attention could have been the focus shift.

Honestly, I've found that since WFH meetings have been way more productive and the meaningless ones have been cut out. Things tend to be on topic and to the point and not a lot of side BS like we had in person.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
It's been a blessing to cutout my 3 minute commute. It has allowed me to work an extra couple hours a day from my home office. Now I roll out and hit my home office at 6:30am until 5:30pm. Before, since I had to leave the house I would go work out first and then go to the office, so I have been able to eliminate the exercise too.

I also get to use my internet, phone, utilities and toilet paper. My favorite part is having no separation from where I live and where I work.

That was sarcasm. I tried working from home for a week when covid first started and was playing tennis, mowing and drinking beer by Thursday. Fortunately, we all got laid off that Friday and went back to work full time when we went back.

I prefer going to work, but understand people that prefer wfh. I do also feel that a lot of wfh are full of **** when they say they don't **** off parts of the day though, they just don't have to be sneaky about it like those of us in the office. I'm writing this from my desk right now, so you can tell how productive my Friday is.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I think a hybrid model is best balance of productivity, safety and environmental concerns.

My ideal post-covid week that seems it is actually going to happen:
1 day a week in office
Second day either in the office or meeting in a client's office. (lucky for me I live walking distance from where meetings often are)
3 days a week from home office

I can definitely agree that many 100s of days in a row working from home with no meetings or interactions in person is not ideal.