work-from-home boom will lift productivity in the U.S. economy by 5%

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I've been full WFH since Sept last year. Joined a new company that is 100% WFH for everyone except core functions (accounting, HR, etc). It's taken some time to get my setup right but I'm starting to get in a groove. Now with people taking more in-person meetings, I'm able to get out of the "office" more often which also helps.

I did have to adjust to distractions around little kids. I have a 6 and a 2 yr old and wife stays at home. Anytime I go downstairs for a snack or a drink, I'm swamped with the kids wanting attention. So, they're having to adjust to my boundaries, as well.

In terms of productivity, I think I'm as good or better than in the office. I don't have the coworker conversation distractions. I'd say my internet surfing is maybe even a little better. I have no commute now. So, I'm working from 8am to 5pm every day and not worried about that 20-30 minute drive I have ahead of me each way. I think I'm actually working more hours, not less.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Can't open but iirc there's studies from years ago that working on a more convenient schedule if possible led to the same or better production than the typical 9-5 situation even with bonuses/incentives.

Had a relative who was a manager and the general premise was to have the project done by X date, within certain boundaries, however you can get it done, ask questions if needed, see you for Happy Hour that Friday, and it generally worked out great.

I remember when I got my MBA, we read an article from Harvard Business Review that supports this. Basically, the article had two groups of people. One that had a designated manager, and the other with a group of equals. The group of equals achieved better results and morale than the one with a designated manager. Basically, it concluded that if people are given the freedom to do their job, they will achieve the results, and better, than when they are constrained or have someone watching over their shoulder.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I was this way for the first few months. After a year now, I'm having to put effort in just to get 8 hours in a day. From what I can tell from our Teams chat, I'm not alone. There are a lot of people away from their computer for vast amounts of the day. There is no way that productivity is up for our group. People may be able to work earlier and later, but they don't seem to stay nearly as focused while doing so.

I've said this before in other threads, but so long someone completes their assigned responsibilities and is available during working hours, it shouldn't matter when the work is complete.

For me, being online longer allows me to address those e-mails I get after I usually leave the office sooner rather than waiting until the next day.

• Agree
Reactions: STLISU

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
We are still 100% work from home and don’t have a date when we will go back. I’m thinking fall.

Before covid we were 2 days per week work from home and I think we will get 3-4 days post covid.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Plain and simple, those who don't offer up the flexibility will lose talent.
This. When discussing this with my department VP, he said "The majority of people want to work from home 3 or more days a week. If we don't allow that, the competition will."
We're looking at returning to the office this fall and they're giving people the option of how many days they want to be in person. We're lucky enough that despite the entire company working remotely last year, we had one of our most successful years ever, so they know it can be done.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I'm already an example of this. I approached my last employer about a remote arrangement in January 2020...BEFORE the pandemic. They said "eh, not so sure about that." They are based in MSP and my job was always "go where you're needed." But, they are old school and I would've been the first person in the company to work remotely. So, living in MSP was not a pre-requisite to do my job, but not something they had done before. Then COVID came and I worked from home for 4 straight months and thought "man, this is proving my case!"

Well, my boss had promised to follow up with me and never did. I waited and waited to hear something, but never heard anything. I kept dropping hints and he never really acknowledged them. I decided to move on and found my current company which was remote/WFH since their founding. When I put in my notice, there was no discussion around "hey, let's figure this remote thing out so you can stay." Just a "yeah we understand you want to be back in Iowa." So, they lost some talent just because they were inflexible.

Same. I left my last job like two years ago because of this. I was passed up by less qualifying people for promotions because I lived in the wrong city/state. Keep in mind the people I would have been managing were all located in different states. Absolutely silly how narrow the scope is in some of these large nation wide companies.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Now they should look at what happens if there were affordable, accessible, reliable childcare. Or go to a 4 day 32 hour workweek.

But this is obvious. Creates a broader workforce - those with different ability levels for whom commuting/being in an office is a challenge, those who need more flexible hours, those who have care responsibilities such as for elderly/sick family or after school kids (not counting young kids here or virtual schooling, that just sucks), those in areas with poor prospects who can now work for companies further away. Sure, many jobs still require at least some in-person work but this is a change that could have - and should have - been made years ago.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
My employer was somewhat flexible with work from home before the pandemic, but it depended on your supervisor. My supervisor was pretty much not a fan of work from home and only allowed it for special circumstances. Pandemic hits, and now my supervisor is fine with work from home and people are free to work from home as much as their job and supervisor allows.

I still plan on going in to the office at least part time. I miss some of my coworkers and just being able to walk over and talk to someone to hash out problems. Unfortunately a lot of the people I am friends with at work aren't planning to work in the office at all anymore, which kinda stinks.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
The working from home movement presents big challenges to any company who values culture, relationships, training, education, employee loyalty, client service... and so on. I don't find this topic very simple and clear cut at all.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The working from home movement presents big challenges to any company who values culture, relationships, training, education, employee loyalty, client service... and so on. I don't find this topic very simple and clear cut at all.
It certainly can. But it's not a forgone conclusion. Just like with any change to the business landscape, some companies will adapt and some will struggle.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

baller21

Mar 15, 2009

These can all easily be achieved with a flexible wfh schedule, especially the employee loyalty one.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.

Add the impact of reduced consumer good fulfillment and cost increases across the board.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Those are good points. I do think most companies will not be 100% work from home after the pandemic. And I think it’s cyclical. For example, pre covid there was a push in my company to limit work from home.

But I do think that employee loyalty is helped by flexible schedules and not hurt by it.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I’ve been navigating this for the past 14 months, between staff I manage, project teams, clients, and myself. Certainly this varies by field but for my industry, The short version of my take on it - there are staff who I trust implicitly to work at home and who are very productive. There are also many who are harder to trust who are not as productive. Most are somewhere in between. Me, I am happiest and most productive working in the office - I like to see my coworkers, like to get up and leave home in the morning, and like the convenience of my office set up and the support it provides to help do my job.

Collaboration can be a pain when you can’t all be in the same place. Overall it’s more productive when we can be working together face to face, but there are several people who based on their role and work ethic I would be totally fine with working at home forever if they choose to. Others need to be back at the office. The coming hybrid work environment will be interesting as I don’t think a one size fits all approach will work very well, but of course it will be an HR challenge to let some people work from home while expecting others to be in the office. But that is the best approach I think, to make decisions on a case by case basis based on job duties and demonstrated ability to work from home.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
For me personally, when I work from home, I would say I am online for longer periods of time. Basically my commute time is spent logged in to my computer.

My wife and I easily are working 50+ hour weeks since our commute is a few steps. It's also VERY easy to login once the baby goes to sleep. I want to go back to the office so my work week returns to 40 hours and I can leave my work... at work

Long term I really hope I can go hyrbid and WFH part time and in the office part time

• Agree
Reactions: CRCy17