Woody Awarded Scholarship

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Congratulations to Jeff. He's sure to get some playing time this fall.

mizouse87

Aug 3, 2006
Des Moines
Way to work hard and prove yourself worthy of a scholarship Mr. Woody. I commend your effort and work ethic. Congrats!

pikecy10

Jun 14, 2010
Kansas City
Jeff Woody

Heard that Jeff Woody received a full scholarship from Coach Rhoads today.

Congrats to Jeff, and I'm sure this almost ensures one of either Johnson/Hollis will be redshirting.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I don't care what system you run, you need to have a big back.

Jeremiah Schwartz disagrees. I'm never a fan of walk on RB's, getting schollies especially when we are loaded at that spot, I'd rather see it go somewhere its needed. But congrats to this kid, his hard work has paid off.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
If he earned it and put himself in a position to see the field ahead of other scholarship players, he deserves the scholarship. Best of luck to him.

ISUCLONES15

Mar 24, 2006
Altoona
Jeremiah Schwartz disagrees. I'm never a fan of walk on RB's, getting schollies especially when we are loaded at that spot, I'd rather see it go somewhere its needed. But congrats to this kid, his hard work has paid off.

If the coaches decide that Woody is the best fit to be the guy that comes into the game in short yardage situations and he is successful at getting that first down or TD, then I am all for him staying at RB. The coaches must really see somthing in him if he is in the lead for our #2 back, with all the young talent there is in the mix. I TRUST IN CPR!!!!

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
If the coaches decide that Woody is the best fit to be the guy that comes into the game in short yardage situations and he is successful at getting that first down or TD, then I am all for him staying at RB. The coaches must really see somthing in him if he is in the lead for our #2 back, with all the young talent there is in the mix. I TRUST IN CPR!!!!

Thats the kool aid talking. Coaches do this all the time with hard working kids. I mean the year Shonn Greene blew up Paki O'meara was the "starter" against us and we all know how that worked out. People were all in agreement last year Schwartz wasn't a fit for this offense, why would this kid be I mean we run basically exclusively out of SG? It's a good story, I'm not trying to take anything away from this kid and its a good move to encourage walk ons but I'm skeptical about what kind of impact this kid will have.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
The kid was rewarded for his hard work and I have a feeling he will help the team this year. He may not end up with a lot of carries but he will have the chance to pick up some tough yards and pass block.
Even if the only contributions he ever makes are on special teams or a switch to defense, it is worth it to give him a shollie. It encourages everyone on the team when hard work is rewarded.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
As far a Schwatrz goes, we are lucky we had the guy on the team last year, because we wouldn't have beaten Nebraska without him. None of the other active RBs were healthy enough, smart enough, or tough enough to run and pass block against NU that day.

I would have loved it if he would have stuck around this year but he decided to go somewhere he could play more. He was a talented dude who wouldn't have been the starter because he didn't fit the system, but could still have contributed to the team, just like Woody will.

Reactions: heitclone

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Question. I have never seen a picture of Woody. Is he a black guy or white guy. Not that it matters. Just trying to get a mental picture of the kid.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Thats the kool aid talking. Coaches do this all the time with hard working kids. I mean the year Shonn Greene blew up Paki O'meara was the "starter" against us and we all know how that worked out. People were all in agreement last year Schwartz wasn't a fit for this offense, why would this kid be I mean we run basically exclusively out of SG? It's a good story, I'm not trying to take anything away from this kid and its a good move to encourage walk ons but I'm skeptical about what kind of impact this kid will have.

You seem to be making the assumption that Schwartz and Woody are the same style of back. Maybe in size, but not in running style based on Coach Pope's comments. Since he has chosen to go on record and describe Woody as able to make great cuts and be explosive, I choose to believe him until proven otherwise. He has coached players in practice everyday and did not make the same type of claims about the running ability of Schwartz.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Question. I have never seen a picture of Woody. Is he a black guy or white guy. Not that it matters. Just trying to get a mental picture of the kid.

YISOPVHPANWVRGW.20100511201044.jpg

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
We take for granted that a fullback takes the snaps for us. No matter who starts next season, we're losing a HUGE weapon for short yardage situation. AA isn't going to take many negative yardage runs because he's a bowling ball and he's lethal short yardage. Stack the line against ARob and he doesn't have the power to go through people for an extra yard or two.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
We take for granted that a fullback takes the snaps for us. No matter who starts next season, we're losing a HUGE weapon for short yardage situation. AA isn't going to take many negative yardage runs because he's a bowling ball and he's lethal short yardage. Stack the line against ARob and he doesn't have the power to go through people for an extra yard or two.

Wow, thats a really good way to look at it. We have a hybrid QB/FB....:smile: