Wonder if we'll play some zone against MU

HuddleUp

Jan 9, 2009
Kansas City
KU tried it with some success. On the other hand, we defend the three pretty well. I'll be curious how Fred plays it. It might make sense if we can stop them getting to the rim. Have we even played much zone defense? I can't remember using it much.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
I thought I heard Babb say they were going to play them the same they did last time.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
KU tried it with some success. On the other hand, we defend the three pretty well. I'll be curious how Fred plays it. It might make sense if we can stop them getting to the rim. Have we even played much zone defense? I can't remember using it much.

I would'nt want to see it beyond just throwing it in for a possession once a half or so just to keep 'em guessing.

HuddleUp

Jan 9, 2009
Kansas City
Forgot to mention that Sundvold asked Fred about the MU game before the KSU game last Saturday. Fred said he felt pretty good about the matchup given how well we defend the perimeter. Also felt we'd play better than the first game with them given how many free throws we missed and Royce being in foul trouble most of the game. Sundvold did say this would be a tough game for MU.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
I know that Drake game, and the UNI game at home dig at everyone (myself included) but not pulling out that MU game at home earlier this season has dug at me the most since it happened. Between how disrespectful their players were to how much we laid an egg when it came to rebounding and free throw shooting, I really wanna see our guys go out their tonight with a nice fire under their butts, especially on the defensive end. With our ticket already punched for the dance, all I ask for tonight is a huge effort on our guys' part. (A win would just be an added bonus :biggrin:)

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
Zone would work

:no::no::no::no::no:
You play zone against teams that cannot shoot the outside ball well. Unless you are thinking something like a 1-3-1. Have you ever seen teams play 2-3 and then fail. The commentators then state that the team shot the D out of the zone. A team like Mizzou can shoot well outside. We just need to man up and fight through screens.

HuddleUp

Jan 9, 2009
Kansas City
Not if they shot relatively average. They will shoot us out of it, IMO. If they are off and it works, great, but I don't know if it would.

They get you both ways. KU frustrated them in the second half with it when they made their run to get back in the game. They are so quick and can blow by you. Zone would help with that, but you're right, they can burn you with four very good shooters.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
ISU switched to zone late in the first matchup and Mizzou responded with a 3 to extend the lead. It was a dagger in a close game like that.

tre

Mar 21, 2010
Zone is for cowards! I don't want Chris Babb playing zone...I want him face guarding Marcus Denmon.

HuddleUp

Jan 9, 2009
Kansas City
You play zone against teams that cannot shoot the outside ball well. Unless you are thinking something like a 1-3-1. Have you ever seen teams play 2-3 and then fail. The commentators then state that the team shot the D out of the zone. A team like Mizzou can shoot well outside. We just need to man up and fight through screens.

It worked for KU on Saturday. And KU never plays zone. They mixed it up, but it did seem to get MU out of sorts. They switched to it after MU was shooting lights out.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

I don't think a 1-3-1 is a good choice against Misery either. They are too quick and have too many passers. They will be able to exploit the weekness of the 1-3-1 (the baseline) for layups and dunks.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Kansas played the zone at home. That's a little bit different than playing it in their building (where 99% of teams shoot much better than on the road). Kansas also has much better athletes on the floor to run a zone than we do. Having Withey on the back end to be an eraser is something we definitely don't have.

The best defense in basketball is man-to-man.

Help Support Us

Become a patron