Women's March Madness: Cyclones vs Texas A&M 6 p.m. ESPN2

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
With that mentality the officials shouldn't be there at all. Let the players decide the game the whole game. Officials are there to keep an unfair advantages due to breakage of rules from happening, whenever they occur. If any of them DO feel this way, they need to hang up their whistles.

Makes you wonder just how hard you could have hit Aggie on the game winner for TAMU. Run thru her with the body OK? Grab her shooting arm OK? Forearm shiver to the jaw OK?

I mean, if we're not calling fouls after the 30 second mark, then why not test the limits?

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
My couple takes, for what it's worth (which isn't much!)

3) Joens' dad is quite competitive. It's great to see a parent involved/passionate about their kid's sports/activities. But he crossed the line IMHO. I probably wouldn't have minded his outbursts as much if he wasn't sitting right next to 3 of his other kids. It's not a great example to show your kids how to handle yourself

Based on some of the stories I've heard (like getting kicked out of a game BEFORE the tip) last night's behavior may have just been considered "normal" for him.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The officiating was obviously bad. It started with the phantom "and 1" foul on Ryan. The jump ball call was atrocious. And as Georges was kind enough to point out, there was a blatant foul on Joens in the final seconds. Very obviously all bad.

Beyond the officiating, it's been the same story in all late close games. Way too much dribbling without any real plan. I think some of it may be freshmen who, especially late, aren't looking to score as much as they are looking to not make a mistake. And Ashley, for as awesome as she is, can struggle in those late game, dribble isolation situations. That's just not her game.

I also think it's a particular point the game where our lack of size hurts us. How many games have you watched where a late putback, or offensive rebound kick out 3 wins a game late. It's just hard when you don't have a great one-on-one scorer, and you're limited to just one shot.

Future is absolutely bright and I hope Bill can bring in some pieces that can provide a little variety. One thing to note as well is MEM hardly played this year. She had a really solid freshmen year and will help next year.

Reactions: Snydes and NWICY

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
What's the recruiting class for next season look like? We have any taller/bigger bodies coming in? Or maybe hit the transfer portal to get that?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Based on some of the stories I've heard (like getting kicked out of a game BEFORE the tip) last night's behavior may have just been considered "normal" for him.

I cringed when I saw they had a camera fixed on him. I imagine the University doesn't have any say in this, but I'm surprised after the Michigan State team someone didn't tell ESPN that may not be a great idea. I feel bad for Ashley and Aubrey because that's got to be embarrassing to have your dad go apoplectic like that on national TV.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Anybody else still fuming about how that game ended? Going to take awhile to get over that one.

Hopefully all the non seniors return and there’s no surprise transfers. Would love for Wise or Scott to return. That would be a huge boost. If not, I think ISU will need to find a post transfer that can help.

statsaholic

May 17, 2006
Sloan, Iowa
Interesting side note.. ISU women were in 2 OT games this season... A big12 tourney-ending loss to Texas 82-84 and a NCAA-tourney-ending loss to Texas AM 82-84.

• Informative
Reactions: cygrads

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The officiating was obviously bad. It started with the phantom "and 1" foul on Ryan. The jump ball call was atrocious. And as Georges was kind enough to point out, there was a blatant foul on Joens in the final seconds. Very obviously all bad.

Beyond the officiating, it's been the same story in all late close games. Way too much dribbling without any real plan. I think some of it may be freshmen who, especially late, aren't looking to score as much as they are looking to not make a mistake. And Ashley, for as awesome as she is, can struggle in those late game, dribble isolation situations. That's just not her game.

I also think it's a particular point the game where our lack of size hurts us. How many games have you watched where a late putback, or offensive rebound kick out 3 wins a game late. It's just hard when you don't have a great one-on-one scorer, and you're limited to just one shot.

Future is absolutely bright and I hope Bill can bring in some pieces that can provide a little variety. One thing to note as well is MEM hardly played this year. She had a really solid freshmen year and will help next year.

Bill is not a good late game coach when he has a go to player. During the last 2-3 minutes of regulation Iowa State quit running their offense and creating open looks. There were 3 different occasion when A&M baited Iowa State into trying to isolate Joens and they all back fired. We have too many good shooters and ball handlers to play that way. Poor officiating aside, Bill put his team in a position to lose.

collegehoops

Apr 8, 2016
CYDJ writes: "Would you have called into question TAMs coach for putting the ball into Nixon's hands at the end of that game? No, why? Because she made the shot."
My answer: If Gary had been unsuccessful at doing this for several possessions because all five defenders are realizing that Nixon has no OPTIONS and are waiting in the paint because of zero player movement then yes. His ballscreen play to free up Nixon was not a one on five. Other OPTIONS were available. Why not double team on the ballscreen, help on the roll, and see what happens? As CyclonesFan4ever says: "There's a word in basketball strategy called "OPTIONALITY". When facing tough situations when your opponent (or arguably the officiating in last night's case) has taken away all of your best options, it'd be helpful if a team has more offensive options, such as taking uncontested midrange pull-up jumpers or moving the ball to an open area for an uncontested shot."
The lack of options in Bill's offense and the standing around of perimeter players allowing the defense to key in on just a few players (instead of screening, moving etc.) leads to too many empty possessions. Trying to force the ball into someone because that is "the play" with no other options is goofy. Painful to watch - like forcing a square peg into a round hole. "Run the f****** play" he shouts from the bench. Why not have OPTIONS and teach... and then trust your high intellect, high basketball I.Q. players to play the game, and make the right decisions?

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes and ISU71

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
He's got some real issues. Still can't believe someone with the poise and self-control like Ashley Joens has him for a father.
I would say as a player you can take that energy and use it to drive you, as a fan all you do is stand there so how else do you use that energy.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
What's the recruiting class for next season look like? We have any taller/bigger bodies coming in? Or maybe hit the transfer portal to get that?

Izzy (6'4") our Canadian freshman forward is already on the team so she got a free semester of practice and highly limited minutes (I think she got in 3 games, with out checking) Danea Fritz guard, Maggie Vick 6'4" forward. So the cupboard is not bare.

Edit I would have no problem with a big quick grad post transferring in to help educate the freshman similar to the Kane(?)Morris situation.

Baring injuries or defections the teams upside next yr is huge IMO.

Last edited:

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Also, aside from ESPN announcers cheering for the SEC school, the network avoided replays that might show poor officiating. And that girl that faked getting hit in the face! Sooooooo bad! She could never decide where it hurt. Right temple, then chin, then someone must have told her that on replay if there was even a touch it had to be on the left jaw, cause eventually she settled on that as her injury. Worst fake injury ever. I mean at least when someone flops there was at least contact! And what about her being in our player's "cylinder?" She bear hugged our player. Where is the so-called cylinder if that wasn't it?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
CYDJ writes: "Would you have called into question TAMs coach for putting the ball into Nixon's hands at the end of that game? No, why? Because she made the shot."
My answer: If Gary had been unsuccessful at doing this for several possessions because all five defenders are realizing that Nixon has no OPTIONS and are waiting in the paint because of zero player movement then yes. His ballscreen play to free up Nixon was not a one on five. Other OPTIONS were available. Why not double team on the ballscreen, help on the roll, and see what happens? As CyclonesFan4ever says: "There's a word in basketball strategy called "OPTIONALITY". When facing tough situations when your opponent (or arguably the officiating in last night's case) has taken away all of your best options, it'd be helpful if a team has more offensive options, such as taking uncontested midrange pull-up jumpers or moving the ball to an open area for an uncontested shot."
The lack of options in Bill's offense and the standing around of perimeter players allowing the defense to key in on just a few players (instead of screening, moving etc.) leads to too many empty possessions. Trying to force the ball into someone because that is "the play" with no other options is goofy. Painful to watch - like forcing a square peg into a round hole. "Run the f****** play" he shouts from the bench. Why not have OPTIONS and teach... and then trust your high intellect, high basketball I.Q. players to play the game, and make the right decisions?

Traded texts with our resident Baylor WBB expert @geewago I said it's great to have Ashley as our 1st option not our only option. It worked really well in the 1st qtr when the ball was swinging around, and no one was afraid to shoot. Hopefully the team and staff learn and bounce back to have a great season next yr. I know I'm looking forward to being in Hilton next season.

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
It was good strategy by A&M to hack the hell out of Ashley.

Fouls are not called on last possessions. A&M used this to their advantage and ISU did not.

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes

Clonestarred

Oct 5, 2020
It was good strategy by A&M to hack the hell out of Ashley.

Fouls are not called on last possessions. A&M used this to their advantage and ISU did not.
ISU would have been called for it. I have seen this script before but never to this extreme. How many bruises do you think Ashley has on her arms? I will bet there are several very visible ones.

Reactions: ISU71

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
While I agree with many that we have to continue to move the ball even when trying to set Ashley up there were three IMO issues that decided the game. 1. as posted too many turnovers in the game 2. jump ball call when Lexi had the ball wrapped in both arms (no way to touch without touching player) I think the reason n o foul was called on her was because when they watched the replay they say they blew that call as it should have been a foul on aTm's player. So they did not want to make two bad calls in a row. 3. officials just putting their whistles in their pockets last few minutes of the game and letting anything go. I hear people say from time to time you should not make calls at the end of the game that could effect the outcome and that is BS. A foul is a foul if it is in the first minute or last few seconds.

• Winner
Reactions: Snydes and Oleclone

Help Support Us

Become a patron