Women's March Madness: Cyclones vs Texas A&M 6 p.m. ESPN2

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
164678489_3954746794545890_1685839847733886354_n.jpg

Where: Alamodome (South Court) - San Antonio, Texas
When: Wednesday, March 24 at 6 PM
Projected Starting Lineup: Kristin Scott, Ashley Joens, Kylie Feuerbach, Emily Ryan, Lexi Donarski
Radio: Cyclone Radio Network/Learfield
Talent: Noah Wolf, Jamie Steyer
TV: ESPN2
Talent: Courtney Lyle, Carolyn Peck

The Lead
Iowa State women's basketball team advanced to the second round for the 12th time in school history. Iowa State also advanced to the Round of 32 in back-to-back NCAA Tournaments, having done so in 2018-19. The 7th-seeded Cyclones will face No. 2 seed Texas A&M, who were the regular-season SEC Champions. In ISU's NCAA First Round, win Ashley Joens broke the school record for most points in a tournament game with 33, while Madison Wise posted a double double in the win.

Key Storylines
  • Ashley Joens earned Sports Illustrated Second-Team All-America honorsto close the season. The junior is seventh in the nation in scoring, averaging a school record 23.9 points a game. She also leads all juniors in career scoring with 1,648 career points.
  • Joens is one of three players in the nation averaging over 23+ points and 9.0+ rebounds per game, joining Big Ten Player of the Year Naz Hillmon and FGCU's Kierstan Bell.
  • Lexi Donarski was the unanimous Big 12 Freshman of the Year, becoming the first Cyclone since 1998 (Megan Taylor) to earn the honor. Donarski was the only freshman in the league to average double figures, with 12.8 points per game.
  • Ashley Joens earned Unanimous All-Big 12 First-Team honors for the second-straight season, after leading the Big 12 in scoring for the second-straight year.
  • Senior Kristin Scott earned Second-Team All-Big 12 honors for the second time in her career, while Emily Ryan was the only other unanimous selection to the All-Freshman Team.
  • For the third-straight season, Iowa State has won 10 or more Big 12 games (2019-20, 10-8 and 2020-21, 13-5). ISU nabbed 12 wins in conference action for the eighth time in school history. ISU's 12 wins, ties for third in school history.
On To The Round of 32!
  • Iowa State prevailed against No. 10 seed Michigan State, 79-75 behind stellar performances by Ashley Joens and Madison Wise.
  • Ashley Joens led the way in typical Joens fashion setting an ISU NCAA Tournament record with 33 points in just 29 minutes. She also added nine rebounds and went 10-22 from the field against the Spartans.
  • Madison Wise was massive for the Cyclones with season-highs in points (13) and rebounds (11).
  • Iowa State is one of 19 teams to advance to the NCAA Second Round in each of the last two NCAA Tournaments.
Iowa State In the Tournament
  • Iowa State is 19-18 all-time in the NCAA Tournament.
  • The Cyclones have had 19 total appearances in the Big Dance, all coming under head coach Bill Fennelly.
  • Iowa State has earned the No. 7 seed a total of five times in their 19 appearances, and Monday's win marks the second time Iowa State has advanced as a No. 7 seed.
  • Iowa State last earned a tournament berth in 2018-19, advancing to the NCAA Second Round. ISU was hoping to hear its name called after an 18-11 campaign that ended with a regular season win over No. 2 Baylor, before the Big 12 Tournament and NCAA Tournament were cancelled due to COVID-19.
image_handler.aspx

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
From the Aggies:

Aggies Look for Third-Straight Sweet 16 Berth Against Iowa State

By: Brandon Collins, Athletics Communications

Story Links
SAN ANTONIO – No. 2 seed Texas A&M women's basketball prepares for a second round clash with the No. 7-seeded Iowa State Cyclones at 6 p.m. CT at the Alamodome South Court on Wednesday.

Wednesday's matchup is slated to be nationally televised on ESPN2, with authenticated subscribers able to access the live simulcast from around the world on the ESPN app. Fans in the Brazos Valley are invited to tune into the live radio broadcast of the game on Sports Radio 1150 AM/93.7 FM with Tom Turbiville and Steve Miller on the call.

The Aggies are coming off a first round thriller against the Troy Trojans on Monday where A&M came away with an 84-80 victory. The Maroon & White was led by a career-high 21 points from sophomore Jordan Nixon. The New York native had nine points in the final period and went 3-of-3 from the field, including three clutch free-throws as the game wound down. Ciera Johnson dominated the paint with 16 points and 14 rebounds, while Aaliyah Wilson dished out a career-tying six assists and steals.

Texas A&M is now 28-15 in the Big Dance and is making its 14th appearance in the second round. The Aggies are 8-5 in the round of 32 all-time, and have advanced to the Sweet Sixteen the past two NCAA Tournaments. The Maroon & White is one of 10 teams that could appear in three-consecutive Sweet Sixteens with a win in the second round this tournament.

Iowa State defeated Michigan State 79-75 on Monday. Ashley Joens poured in 33 points and is an Associated Press Honorable Mention All-American. The Cyclones are 17-10 this season, coming in fourth in the Big 12 Conference standings.

The Aggies have won the past four meetings between the two programs, but the Cyclones hold a 14-8 all-time series lead. This will be the first matchup in the NCAA Tournament between A&M and Iowa State.

• Informative
Reactions: Cycsk

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
After watching Texas A&M's first-round match, I've found some inspiration from that Troy team.

Play Our Game

When we play our up-tempo style in high-scoring games, we tend to have great success. Like Troy, if we can get into our rhythm early and find ways to let A&M play with our tempo, and if we take them out of their comfort zone and keep the game close, we will have a chance to upset them. To break down their defense, we need to move the ball and players need to constantly move with less dribbling and less ball watching.

Just Let It Fly

Outside the CyclONEnation, very few pundits and fans would pick us to win the game. They think A&M is too big, too physical and a bad matchup for us. Well, we have seen the resilience and grit this team has shown us in the last two tournament games. Our team has exceeded expectations this season. From now on, every game is a bonus, an icing on the cake to a successful season. I hope that fearless team who beat Baylor shows up with the "nothing to lose" mentality. Trust the coaches, trust your teammates, execute the game plan and shoot the ball without hesitation. No matter what happens, I have no doubt the players will give all they have and fight till the end.

Sweet Sixteen awaits you, Twister Sisters, we believe you can do it.

Last edited:

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
A&M seems to dominate the grind-it-out games, yet their high-scoring games are wins by narrow margins.

Just keep the ball moving around the horn, and let our bench get some good run. If we can keep Ashley's and Lexi's legs fresh in the 4th we can get to the line at will and close this one out.

Go Cyclones!

Run Faster

Sep 28, 2020
CLONES!!! I’ve watched 10 games this year (most since 2009). Under sized...but play well together! Bottom line they’re fun to watch! Appreciate Coach Fennelly and his staff!

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Gonna be the same story as every other game this year-- the jumpshots are going to have to fall. Do what you can to compete down low and on the boards and hope the 3s are falling.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
On the UConn board there's a great poster named Shades who runs tons of polls throughout the season on various games. On the A&M - ISU game 20 people have voted so far. The vote is even split. Seems to me the arm chair point guards think this game could go either way. I imagine a lot of that is based on A&Ms performance against Troy. That game is hard to analyze. Was A&M that bad or was Troy actually that good?

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
This is a tough matchup. My keys, Ashley stays out foul trouble. Kristen is able to go and contribute. Freshman are able to drain threes. If we shoot like we did midseason, bring on South Carolina again. If we struggle from three and/or Ashley picks up early fouls or Kristen can't go this will be a tough to win.

Never underestimate the Twister Sisters though they find ways to win.

Reactions: CyclonesFan4ever

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Hopefully Joens gets it going early. I'd prefer if we shared the ball and hit a lot of threes, but that gameplan hasn't been around recently. If we limit turnovers, we'll have a chance.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I am cautiously optimistic. Doesn’t stop me from critiquing the officials and players Sorry Boxster. ;)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron