Wofford beats #5 UNC

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
NCAA tourney is best thing in sports. By far.

However, I wish losing these games actually mattered. It sucks now but in a month no one will care. It has almost zero bearing on UNC season.

• Winner
Reactions: GT25Ump

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Trust me if ISU got tagged with a loss tonight it would be held against us. UNC will get the ACC/east coast bias love come March.

We lost to Milwaukee and it'll be held against us. Losing one game in football is the same as losing 2.5 games in basketball based on the higher number of games played.

UNC could lose to Wolford, UTEP, and Charminade and still be a top team in basketball. If a top football team lost to Wolford they'd be done for the year. So equivalent percentage loses in basketball don't seem to matter.

Reactions: cyfanatic

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
We lost to Milwaukee and it'll be held against us. Losing one game in football is the same as losing 2.5 games in basketball based on the higher number of games played.

UNC could lose to Wolford, UTEP, and Charminade and still be a top team in basketball. If a top football team lost to Wolford they'd be done for the year. So equivalent percentage loses in basketball don't seem to matter.

Agree with everything here about 1 game from 30 vs 1 game from 12 but brands matter big time too, probably more in football. The committee is broader and less biased in hoops and the post season allows for things to be settled in play much more. The hoops committee doesn't completely 180 change there criteria from week to week or spur of the moment.

ISU football could have the #1 SOS and if we got blown out twice I guarantee we would not be an eyelash from the college football playoff. If we had a loss to a 5-7 team at home we wouldn't be leapfrogging from 6 to 3 on the final ranking. For certain football brands what is impossible for ISU or TCU is the every single year norm.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic and GTO

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Well considering only 4 out of 130 FB teams (3.0%) make the playoff while 68 of 347 teams (19.6%) make the BB playoff I'd say that it makes sense that teams can afford to absorb a few more losses.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I wish losing these games actually mattered. It sucks now but in a month no one will care. It has almost zero bearing on UNC season.

It won't have much negative impact if it becomes UNC's outlier, and so far, it's an extreme outlier. We still can't read much into RPI, but we're far enough into the season to use it as a baseline for how unlikely this loss is.

As of Tuesday, UNC was #1 RPI, and was 4-1 vs. Top 50 (with neutral-site loss to MSU).

Wofford's largest margin of victory in its only road win was by 6 over #250 Coastal Carolina.

I suppose this is nothing more than a damnation of RPI system. ... I assume metrics that are more "predictive" didn't foresee this any more accurately.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Addition to my previous post: UNC has numerous opportunities to make that loss almost irrelvant, considering SOS and games already won, plus playing in a typically strong ACC. Plus, Wofford could fare well in SoCon.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
This can probably be explained away by NC's players being busy with finals this week and not getting much practice ti.................................... never mind.
They probably were having trouble finding the exam room for some of their classes...

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I saw that that if you played a $100 parlay in Vegas on Wofford over Carolina, Lakers over Rockets and Heat over Celtics you'd have raked in $153,000.

Of course no one would do that, that's why it pays so much.

Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It will hurt them in a direct comparison to another top team when doing #1 and #2 seeding.

It could, true. So I agree. But even then, if it's the only major detriment, it's still going to be spread over 30-plus games, not only for NC, but for other teams being compared.

I think of it similar to the year KU lost at TCU when TCU was something like 300-ish RPI. Kansas still maintained 1 seed, if memory is correct. ... it's possible that TCU was worse than the Wofford loss (although at least TCU upset was on the road).

Either way, losing at home to Wofford is a big drag on resume at this point.