WNBA Draft April 10

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I don’t want to hijack the thread but since this is related to WNBA and I don’t want to create a special thread:

First WNBA game in Canada.

"The 3 p.m. game, which will be played at the Scotiabank Arena — the home of the NBA's Toronto Raptors — is sold out; 20,000 tickets were gone in a matter of minutes. "

For a pre-season game.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
First WNBA game in Canada.

"The 3 p.m. game, which will be played at the Scotiabank Arena — the home of the NBA's Toronto Raptors — is sold out; 20,000 tickets were gone in a matter of minutes. "

For a pre-season game.
If there is an expansion team in Toronto, I bet the team might want to sign BC.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Fever 90 Wings 83

Ashley played six minutes and was 1-1 for 3 points. Abby Meyers played one minute and was scoreless. Another backup guard played ten minutes and was 0-4.

I recently saw a Wings practice video on their Facebook page and the only Ashley sighting involved having a left-handed layup rejected!It was so perfect it looked staged - I hope it was!

Last edited:
Reactions: undersized_post

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Just read that the Wings have waived Abby Meyers. Hoping that means Ashley secured a spot on the roster.
There are still 14 players on the roster and they have to be at 12 or less by 5/18. From what I’ve read, Charli Collier will likely be one of those cuts. Wings fans are speculating second year guard Jasmine Dickey could be the other. Lastly, the UCONN rookie, Lou Senechal, is still injured, so maybe she starts the season on the injured list. Suddenly it looks like Ash has a puncher’s chance!!!

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
There are still 14 players on the roster and they have to be at 12 or less by 5/18. From what I’ve read, Charli Collier will likely be one of those cuts. Wings fans are speculating second year guard Jasmine Dickey could be the other. Lastly, the UCONN rookie, Lou Senechal, is still injured, so maybe she starts the season on the injured list. Suddenly it looks like Ash has a puncher’s chance!!!

I was trying to remember why I recognized Collier game and I saw she was the 2021 number 1 overall pick. That's quite a fall to be off a roster a two years later.

I just kind of figured they'd keep one out of Joens and Siegrist since they have very similar games, but glad to see she's go a chance to stick.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA

I don't believe the WNBA has an injured list - if they are unable to play they have to keep them on the roster or cut them. There may be a way to keep them if they are going to miss the entire season but am not that familiar with all of the roster rules.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Monika Czinano was waived by the LA Sparks. I thought she was probably a long shot with her game style. Really good offensive college center but not really suited to the NBA IMHO. Likeable fun gal in interviews. Being a Minnesotan I half kept up on her career. Sister players for my 2nd team, the Gophers. Reports where earlier that she put her medical school plans on hold to play that 5th year so maybe medical school is back in the mix. Biology major and several time Academic All-Big Ten selection.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Dallas announced their final cuts (Collier - former #1 overall pick from Texas and Kalani Brow from Baylor) so Ashley Joens has made the final roster. They also announced DeShields and Lopez-Senechal are going to be out for extended periods with knee injuries so she may get some quality playing time.

Had a few things break her way but making a roster is still a pretty big deal. Second task is keeping the spot with all of the roster moves teams make after the other teams cuts and into the season.

Reactions: Junejax

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Had a few things break her way but making a roster is still a pretty big deal. Second task is keeping the spot with all of the roster moves teams make after the other teams cuts and into the season.
I'm done doubting Ash - she just picks up her lunchbox every day and goes to work - puts in her time and gets better.

It's nearly impossible to find information on WNBA teams - I followed the Dallas Wings team page on Facebook, where the fans are pretty active posting comments. Ashley appears to be well-regarded and I've seen several suggestions she's not "low girl" on the roster - some believe second-year guard Jasmine Dickey would be first out if a roster move is made.

Anyway, congratulations to Ashley on making a WNBA roster against the odds - it's a great accomplishment!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I'm done doubting Ash - she just picks up her lunchbox every day and goes to work - puts in her time and gets better.

It's nearly impossible to find information on WNBA teams - I followed the Dallas Wings team page on Facebook, where the fans are pretty active posting comments. Ashley appears to be well-regarded and I've seen several suggestions she's not "low girl" on the roster - some believe second-year guard Jasmine Dickey would be first out if a roster move is made.

Anyway, congratulations to Ashley on making a WNBA roster against the odds - it's a great accomplishment!

I don't think it showed much on the court this season with our game style but she did what Carleton did after she got to the WNBA, got a little leaner and in top shape. Lynx announcers commented on it a lot a couple of years ago as to why she had stuck and carved out a niche for herself in the league. Both played similar games at ISU and guessing the Bridget example was not lost on anyone at ISU or in the Joens "camp".

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
Dallas announced their final cuts (Collier - former #1 overall pick from Texas and Kalani Brow from Baylor) so Ashley Joens has made the final roster. They also announced DeShields and Lopez-Senechal are going to be out for extended periods with knee injuries so she may get some quality playing time.