WNBA Draft April 10

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Thought I'd bump this with a schedule of WNBA camp and roster finalization dates. Coming right up for Ashley Joens and Bridget Carleton, everything happens in a period of 20 days.

April 30: Training Camp Begins​
May 5: Pre-season Games Begin​
May 15: Last Possible Date for Pre-Season Games​
May 18: Final Roster Cut-down Date: 12 players, 5:00 pm EST​

Dallas has 18 players listed on their roster including 7 rookies. The Lynx (with Bridget Carleton) have 21 players! These will all be whittled down to 12.

• Informative
Reactions: gizzsdad

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Thought I'd bump this with a schedule of WNBA camp and roster finalization dates. Coming right up for Ashley Joens and Bridget Carleton, everything happens in a period of 20 days.

April 30: Training Camp Begins​
May 5: Pre-season Games Begin​
May 15: Last Possible Date for Pre-Season Games​
May 18: Final Roster Cut-down Date: 12 players, 5:00 pm EST​

Dallas has 18 players listed on their roster including 7 rookies. The Lynx (with Bridget Carleton) have 21 players! These will all be whittled down to 12.

I think BC has a guaranteed contract which is good because she is still playing with her team in Spain and may be for another week.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
And you are right. She signed a one year contract for $91K for 2023.
Worth a reminder:

Explains why most play somewhere around the world off- season. Also why endorsements are so big, if you can get them.

Also - some rookie salary info below. For those who even think Clark might leave iowa - she won’t.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cycsk

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Worth a reminder:

Explains why most play somewhere around the world off- season. Also why endorsements are so big, if you can get them.

Also - some rookie salary info below. For those who even think Clark might leave iowa - she won’t.

Yeah, it isn't a get rich NBA life. A handful of the Top Ten got really good money overseas but a lot of that was driven by rich oligarchs outbidding each other and the Russian invasion of Ukraine blew that up. The other top playing league was China but that is still closed because of their COVID rules. They only allowed two foreign players for each team sot hat made those good playing jobs.

It's always been hard to find info on the overseas salaries. There was a really good article in The Athletic on this recently. I'll quote the part on this:

McCall, a five-year WNBA veteran, is reflecting on the lack of transparency about overseas salaries. “Like an unsaid rule,” she says. “You just don’t say what you make.” [She broke the rule and told she was making $12K a month or so]​

The whole article is pretty in-depth, about as good as I've found (see over-seas "don't talk about it" rule). If a player actually hits a $100,000 they are doing pretty good. Even when Russian and China were bidding on players only 5 to 10 made top dollars. Agents were quoted as saying it's an entirely different game for pay now (COVID, Putin and economies all changing the payscape.

Here's the link but suspect it's paywalled. I dropped by subscription but NYT bought it so I have access again.

runningcy

Oct 16, 2008
Ames
Let’s hope Joens makes the Wings roster! Seems like she will be shooter in the WNBA for sure she has a pretty well rounded skill set that should be interesting to see how it transitions in the WNBA! I’m hoping she not only makes the roster but can play a significant role!!!

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I fear Ashley has an uphill battle to make this team. The Wings were a playoff team last season and carried 7 Guards on the roster.

They drafted two Guards before Ash (Lu Lopez Senechal & Abby Meyers) and have a guard coming from overseas drafted 11th Overall in 2020 (Kitija Laksa), They brought in veterans Crystal Dangerfield (UCONN) & Diamond DeShields (Tennessee) and return veterans Arike Ogunbowale (Notre Dame), Veronica Burton (Northwestern) and Jasmine Dickey (Delaware).

Not that she can't do it, but she'll need to hope they again carry seven guards and she'll need to beat out two from the previous paragraph. Tall order...

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I fear Ashley has an uphill battle to make this team. The Wings were a playoff team last season and carried 7 Guards on the roster.

They drafted two Guards before Ash (Lu Lopez Senechal & Abby Meyers) and have a guard coming from overseas drafted 11th Overall in 2020 (Kitija Laksa), They brought in veterans Crystal Dangerfield (UCONN) & Diamond DeShields (Tennessee) and return veterans Arike Ogunbowale (Notre Dame), Veronica Burton (Northwestern) and Jasmine Dickey (Delaware).

Not that she can't do it, but she'll need to hope they again carry seven guards and she'll need to beat out two from the previous paragraph. Tall order...

She might be cut but the way WNBA teams change rosters she still might get a shot this year. Our most successful pro player Bridget Carleton got cut by her drafting team before catching on with the Lynx. Same draft class, Iowa's Gustafson got called back to her own team after getting cut and later caught on with another team.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
16 players on the Dallas training camp roster, per team tweet:

#1. I like it. Hard to take #24 from Arike.

Really working up a sweat in Dallas!

It will be nice to see her mostly shooting from outside and not taking such a beating in the lane.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
30 April - training camps begin. 5 May - pre-season games begin. 15 May - last date for pre-season games. 18 May - final 12 roster cut-down deadline

5/5 - Wings 75 Sky 70 - Ashley played six minutes and was 0-1 from the floor with 1 RB and 1 PF.

I read a local Dallas / FW article where the author was speculating about the roster composition and he never mentions Ash, speculating the final guard spot would come down to Laksa vs Meyers. Meyers played five minutes last night and Laksa was DNP - Coaches Decision.

Charli Collier, formerly the #1 pick from Texas, is likely to be cut from this team. Cut throat competition…

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
30 April - training camps begin. 5 May - pre-season games begin. 15 May - last date for pre-season games. 18 May - final 12 roster cut-down deadline

5/5 - Wings 75 Sky 70 - Ashley played six minutes and was 0-1 from the floor with 1 RB and 1 PF.

I read a local Dallas / FW article where the author was speculating about the roster composition and he never mentions Ash, speculating the final guard spot would come down to Laksa vs Meyers. Meyers played five minutes last night and Laksa was DNP - Coaches Decision.

Charli Collier, formerly the #1 pick from Texas, is likely to be cut from this team. Cut throat competition…

It's the WNBA so best bet is all three are cut and they sign someone that another team has cut. Not even kidding, the final two or three spots on each roster change frequently. Making the roster is step #1. Staying on the roster after the teams browse through the players available after the first roster cuts is step #2.

Reactions: undersized_post

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
It's the WNBA so best bet is all three are cut and they sign someone that another team has cut. Not even kidding, the final two or three spots on each roster change frequently. Making the roster is step #1. Staying on the roster after the teams browse through the players available after the first roster cuts is step #2.
The article I came across, apologies for not saving and posting the link so everybody could read it, indicated the Wings have "salary cap issues" such that rookies had a better chance of sticking than usual. The author went so far as to suggest they might not carry 12 players if they kept certain veterans, namely Crystal Dangerfield, signed as a free agent to backup PG Veronica Burton (formerly of Northwestern).

I need to get a grip - now I'm wasting time following a WNBA team during preseason! :)

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The article I came across, apologies for not saving and posting the link so everybody could read it, indicated the Wings have "salary cap issues" such that rookies had a better chance of sticking than usual. The author went so far as to suggest they might not carry 12 players if they kept certain veterans, namely Crystal Dangerfield, signed as a free agent to backup PG Veronica Burton (formerly of Northwestern).

I need to get a grip - now I'm wasting time following a WNBA team during preseason! :)

My excuse is that it's icky cloudy gloomy dreary outside! ;)

I follow the Lynx some, more so now with Bridget on the team. Got a bit interested in the whole roster thingie the year Carleton and Iowa's Gustafson were drafted (and subsequent years to see if Carleton made the roster.) Both great college players but maybe not best suited for the WNBA. Was interesting to see how they both we able to catch on. Good to know Carleton has a guaranteed contract for this season.

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

Tough to go from star of the team to playing minutes reserved for end of the bench. Welcome to the pro's.

Frog

May 6, 2021
Cheering Ashley on!!!!

I don't see Soares name on the Dallas roster. No contract agreement I assume? Anyone know?