Wisconsin QB tests positive for Covid

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Wisconsin-Purdue on Nov 7 was a 2:30 kickoff on ABC. That’s a pretty coveted time slot that may be available.
I think Wisconsin plays that game. I honestly think Wisconsin shut it down this week for two reasons.

1. They have a small spread within their program and they want to make sure it doesn't get any worse.

2. Their 4th string QB was only going to get a week to prepare for this game. Getting another full week to prepare for Purdue in a game they play in Madison and not on the road will be huge for them.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
If the game is cancelled without hitting the threshold, it shouldn't be a no contest. UW should forfeit instead.
It's honestly not fair for all parties. It's not fair that Wisconsin doesn't have to play against Nebraska without their QB or backup and overall this game might not mean anything to them. But, if you make them forfeit the game and Nebraska wins, that's not fair at all to other teams that are going to have to actually play Wisconsin.

Where it gets interesting is at the end of the year if Wisconsin is 5-1 and one or two more teams are 6-2... How would it be fair to put Wisconsin in the title game?

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
This was the "help" the neb AD was asking for when the schedules came out. Look one less tough team you have to play. :p

Reactions: dafarmer

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Memphis is a dangerous team for Cincy to play.
I would love it if Penn St beats tOSU although I don't see it happening.
True Memphis could spoil Cincy's undefeated season. And yeah that PSU-tOSU game would've been awesome if PSU was fully healthy.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
I think Wisconsin plays that game. I honestly think Wisconsin shut it down this week for two reasons.

1. They have a small spread within their program and they want to make sure it doesn't get any worse.

2. Their 4th string QB was only going to get a week to prepare for this game. Getting another full week to prepare for Purdue in a game they play in Madison and not on the road will be huge for them.

Your point #1 is correct. This is a cautious move by Wisconsin to shutdown so that their spread doesn't get bad enough that they would miss 3 full games and therefore be ineligible for the conference title.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Your point #1 is correct. This is a cautious move by Wisconsin to shutdown so that their spread doesn't get bad enough that they would miss 3 full games and therefore be ineligible for the conference title.
#1 outweighs #2 tremendously and #2 might just happen by default.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
#1 outweighs #2 tremendously and #2 might just happen by default.

Yeah, I don't see a way they get around rolling with the 4th string guy against Purdue and Michigan. The 21 day rule is absurd but that can be said about a lot of decisions the big ten has made since August.

Best case for Wisconsin seems like they start 2-1 (2nd win over Purdue) and then can run the table with Mertz back to make the conference title.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yeah, I don't see a way they get around rolling with the 4th string guy against Purdue and Michigan. The 21 day rule is absurd but that can be said about a lot of decisions the big ten has made since August.

Best case for Wisconsin seems like they start 2-1 (2nd win over Purdue) and then can run the table with Mertz back to make the conference title.
There are actually rumors that Mertz tested Saturday, meaning he would be eligible to play in the Michigan game, which would be huge. I don't know if they'll win that game even with him, but yeah Wisconsin is likely to start 2-1 and when fully healthy should walk through that side of the conference and play OSU in Indy.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
This is such a charade. A few weeks ago the Penn State moron was telling us 33% of athletes had a heart issue after covid. The BIG can't get out of their own way.

It is a total **** show/cluster **** (or however you want to describe it). Really just unbelievable. Now, because they ****** up early, they are changing the narrative. If people can’t see through this crap, I feel sorry for them.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum