wisconsin game

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
It is always tough for me when any sport ends. Volleyball has become one of my favorites. I love watching ISU, although I wish the conference were better, and to have that happen, we have to get better. We had different factors hurt us but I was happy the way things turned out and I believe we will see some improvement next year. I am not sure why I believe that.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011

I give a lot of credit to our team for holding up as well as they did given that Wisconsin was relentless and somehow got balls back in play that should have been a point for us. We worked hard, but Wisconsin worked harder (or appeared so). Earlier this season, the BTN had a special on the training regiments for BT VB programs. Wisconsin does some impressive work (including on the football field), and it shows in how they play.

FYI, here are links to an article and to a YouTube video of the BTN special (also available on BTN On Demand).
Article:
http://www.uwbadgers.com/news/2015/..._access_to_Badger_volleyball.aspx?path=wvball
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HAKIh3_dWg
At about the 25:00 mark, you can see the workout they do on the football field.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
It is always tough for me when any sport ends. Volleyball has become one of my favorites. I love watching ISU, although I wish the conference were better, and to have that happen, we have to get better. We had different factors hurt us but I was happy the way things turned out and I believe we will see some improvement next year. I am not sure why I believe that.

Nolan is the major loss, but I'm excited about Berta. Everyone else comes back - if we can continue to develop our players in the off-season, no reason to not believe we'll be stronger next year!

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
FYI, here are links to an article and to a YouTube video of the BTN special (also available on BTN On Demand).
Article:
http://www.uwbadgers.com/news/2015/..._access_to_Badger_volleyball.aspx?path=wvball
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HAKIh3_dWg
At about the 25:00 mark, you can see the workout they do on the football field.

There were these take-aways from the match with WI for me:

One was the amazing defensive digs and recovery by the Badgers. I think the video shows the work they do to refine that aspect of their game. They also get balls effectively back into play from these difficult spots, and I would like to know the drills they use to develop skills in hand/arm positioning and body reaction.

Maybe it's coaching of re-positioning to defense in the 6-2. WI always had more people in covering the back court area than Iowa State. Seemed even with Nolan's masterful ability to dig she could not cover the spaces needed and often looked like she was in a sea of space as balls whizzed by. Liberos can be taller and have a longer reach-don't know if it would help. But, WI seemed to have less problem covering areas to control our spikes.

And, to agree with others here was, setting. Back setting more precisely, accurate close net ball positioning made everything WI do more effective.

(Remi is not gone from what I have heard. She will decide for the start of the second semester. And knowing there has been no schollie release, and correct me if I am wrong, made public it seems logical.)

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
I saw the game(s) live so my comments are my own and based on what I've seen over the season as well. Better blocking would give us better passing. Twice Nolan had digs that turned into out overpasses - which is where I think some of the comments about Nolan not looking good came from. Both times those hits went right through the arms of our blockers - we didn't even touch it. We have to get more touches and slow balls down to give our backrow a better chance at controlling the ball well. Right now our block is slow to get into position on hits where we've got the time to watch them set up. Our back row is pretty great but they need that help! Teams like Texas are getting at least 3 Bl/s and touching quite a few more. Blocking has been a weak spot for us for as long as I've been watching.

Harris is solid but not elite. That is correct. She is called for the double more than we want to see. Even in Nov CJL would play with the 6-2. There is a reason we went after Remi - Horner and Harris are both nice, but we need an elite setter to play at the level we did with Manns and Landwehr. I wonder with Remi likely gone if we'll go after another transfer like Horner or just wait for Mauck to get here in a couple years.

Hey Cowgirl, don't disagree with anything you have said. In fact, the limited blocking up front makes Nolan even more critical to our success.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Hey Cowgirl, don't disagree with anything you have said. In fact, the limited blocking up front makes Nolan even more critical to our success.

it makes me wonder if we've developed such great liberos because of our poor blocking. They're taking 400 shots a game and expected to cover most of the floor. Forces them to get better!

And to tack on to what St. Clone said - the situations he mentioned are where I noticed setting the most. Close net balls - basically non-ideal sets. That's where we have more trouble and I think less ideal choices are made - which probably makes us more predictable and easier to defend. I think in addition to the slow blocking, this is something else that hurt us. Carlini can take bad sets and make options out of it.

In any case, there were games that I was disappointed with us during the season. This was not one of them. Interesting to hear on Remi - I see she's still listed as a student in the directory. Be great to have her next year. And I think Harris could be an excellent back row player with her serve and defense.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Nolan is the major loss, but I'm excited about Berta. Everyone else comes back - if we can continue to develop our players in the off-season, no reason to not believe we'll be stronger next year!

Phillips might just beat Berta out. Berta is getting the nod in rotation for her serving, but coach has said it is a three way race for libero next year. And, Abby Phillips is an amazing athlete.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron