Wisconsin Destroys Iowa: 41-6

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
My counties not list so I'm cool to overserve myself if I so desire. :cool:

Do see my home county in Iowa is top 50, good for them. ;)

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
From a random search:

Binge drinking is defined as a pattern of drinking that brings a person's blood alcohol concentration (BAC) to 0.08 g/dl or above. This typically happens when men consume 5 or more drinks or women consume 4 or more drinks in about 2 hours. Most people who binge drink do not have a severe alcohol use disorder.
The 5/4 drinks was the studies definition of binge drinking. Heavy drinking was at least 1 drink/day for women and 2 drinks/day for men. Can't remember if it was 7 straight days or x days in a week.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Grew up in Dubuque and beer was part of life as a teen. At the time the drinking age was 18 in Wisconsin and Wisconsin bars would serve 16/17 year olds.

It's definitely a cultural thing. In part, from the strong German heritage. Heck my dad is in mid 90's and his memory is pretty bad. But when we drive around Dubuque or SW Wisconsin he can point out the old bar locations he drank at while going to Loras Academy in early 40's.

"As long as the boys behaved", the bar owner served them!

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Not a surprise. Wisconsin drinking is on another level. It's actually legal for a 12-year-old to have a drink in a bar if he/she is accompanied by a parent.

There’s no minimum age to that law

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I'd say it makes a lot of sense that they're all concentrated in one region. It's mainly a cultural thing, so it seems reasonable that a lot of counties from the same region would be similar. It's not that there aren't heavy drinkers in those other regions, just that they consistently make up a smaller proportion of the population.
Yep. I grew up in dbq county, and to say beer is part of the culture nails it.

I started drinking in 7th grade, and all thru high school. Its just what we did, nothing else to do. And my parents were strict. Many others their folks or older siblings would buy for them.

Even now when i go back, if you go out bowling night or something, not unusual at all for someone to knock back 6 or 10 in a few hours.

Drunk driving? Oh its not too far i should be fine. Although its not as bad as in Wisky, where driving drunk is basically a recreational sport.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Grew up in Dubuque and beer was part of life as a teen. At the time the drinking age was 18 in Wisconsin and Wisconsin bars would serve 16/17 year olds.

It's definitely a cultural thing. In part, from the strong German heritage. Heck my dad is in mid 90's and his memory is pretty bad. But when we drive around Dubuque or SW Wisconsin he can point out the old bar locations he drank at while going to Loras Academy in early 40's.

Ha, that's definitely similar to Eastern/NE rural Iowa in the 90s/early 2000s.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA

As someone who grew up in Chippewa Falls (Home of Leinie's) I will agree that it's definitely part of the culture.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I'd say it makes a lot of sense that they're all concentrated in one region. It's mainly a cultural thing, so it seems reasonable that a lot of counties from the same region would be similar. It's not that there aren't heavy drinkers in those other regions, just that they consistently make up a smaller proportion of the population.
I definitely agree it’s cultural. Wisconsin has an unhealthy relationship with alcohol.

That being said, I could see you having a cultural issue in the other direction. I could see there being a few counties in the rest of the country that should be on this list, but people are underreporting what they drink because their culture doesn’t tolerate as much drinking.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone