Wisconsin coach Gary Andersen to Oregon State

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I also don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that CPR goes to Wisconsin. I'm not saying it's going to happen, or is even probable or likely, but it would not be a complete shock. It would be like McDermott going to Creighton.

I don't see those moves as comparable. The difference in stature between Wisconsin football and Iowa State football is much wider than between Creighton basketball and Iowa State basketball in 2010.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
(Putting on tinfoil hat)

Makes you wonder if Alvarez told Andersen to throw the championship game against OSU in spectacular fashion, and was so disgusted with the situation afterwards that he took the first BCS job available to him just to get out of Madison...

(Removing tinfoil hat)

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Yes!!!

Casual Beavs fan and a fan of Andersen's for a while too.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Barry wants a puppet, this is a huge slap in the face. You have basically the best program in the b1g over the last decade yet they can't keep a coach. Even worse its not like coaches are leaving for better jobs. Its a really weird situation. Ferentz will get attention for that job.

Arkansas is a better job than Wisconsin.

only4cy

Nov 21, 2006
Don't blame him for leaving. Nobody wants to believe it could happen, but it fits with something being shady about that CCG.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Can anyone tell me the fanbase expectations? Is the fanbase delusional that they expect him to beat OSU all the time? Badgers are a good team but I don't think they'll compete well with OSU and Meyer.

Judging on Bielema's and Andersen's leaving makes me wonder whether they see that the expectations are unrealistic.

And IIRC, Andersen is a good coach but not a sexy hire like a lot of people wanted that time.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Can anyone tell me the fanbase expectations? Is the fanbase delusional that they expect him to beat OSU all the time? Badgers are a good team but I don't think they'll compete well with OSU and Meyer.

Judging on Bielema's and Andersen's leaving makes me wonder whether they see that the expectations are unrealistic.

And IIRC, Andersen is a good coach but not a sexy hire like a lot of people wanted that time.

no. Fans were happy with the year from what I saw. Badger apparel sales (this is helped by basketball/volleyball) are through the roof. I'm shocked that he's leaving.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
(Putting on tinfoil hat)

Makes you wonder if Alvarez told Andersen to throw the championship game against OSU in spectacular fashion, and was so disgusted with the situation afterwards that he took the first BCS job available to him just to get out of Madison...

(Removing tinfoil hat)

I was semi-jokingly saying that Alvarez had him throw the game the other day. I saw some of the post-game and Andersen was ******. Talked about how embarrassing losing that badly was. How it wasn't on the team or the staff, it was all on him.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
(Gary Andersen thoughts)

Well Melvin Gordon is going pro, not sure what to do at QB, Minnesota is gaining, and I hate Alvarez)

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
No idea why anyone would ever leave Wisconsin. I don't get it. Lots of fans, great school, area, tradition.. This is very surprising to me. I don't understand how its not a destination job.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
1. All of a sudden Oregon State has hired a better coach than Nebraska (at least by reputation)

2. I can understand him wanting to get back west, but Oregon State is a tough, tough job.

3. Alvarez must really be a **** to work for.

4. It won't happen, but I'm pretty sure that Wisconsin had more than a passing interest in Rhoads last time. Weirder things have happened (the Chiz to Auburn, for example).

5. Where is the best Wisconsin board? That place has got to gold tonight.

6. Someone will want to take that job. I'm not convinced that Minnesota is here to stay. Iowa is Iowa. Nebraska is a shell of its former self. A certified idiot could win 8 games at Wisconsin.