Winter Storm redux

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
Now hoping for Global warming......not hearing much about it these days.

Global warming needs to step up to the plate and show us it means business. This is no way to sell yourself.

After what we've had so far this winter, a friend of mine says he's going to design an SUV that outputs plastic bags as its exhaust.

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
YES! They changed it again to only light accumulations in DSM. I couldn't take another big storm. I'm so ready for spring and summer.

MrsWx4Cy

Dec 5, 2007
It is not going to snow anymore, winter is over. Spring is here!!!

From the WeatherAmerica Newsletter...
The ongoing tropical energy and moisture feed into storms emerging off of the Eurasian continent continues with no sign of let-up. A function of the Madden-Julian Oscillation (disregard whatever those "diagrams" say about the MJO Phase....), this fetch conjoins with the polar westerlies largely because of the abundance of cold air and full-latitude trough complexes that occupy eastern Asia (easily shown on the very cold appearance of the infrared MTSAT view). So storms which otherwise would fall apart on the long journey across the Pacific Ocean instead are deepening, and in the process pumping up ridges in the EPO and PNA positions while aiming disturbed weather along the central portion of the West Coast. For this reason, the generally cold, stormy pattern that has been in effect across the U.S. (albeit with quick moderation just downstream of the storms) is likely to continue into the second week of March.:biglaugh:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
The ongoing tropical energy and moisture feed into storms emerging off of the Eurasian continent continues with no sign of let-up. A function of the Madden-Julian Oscillation (disregard whatever those "diagrams" say about the MJO Phase....), this fetch conjoins with the polar westerlies largely because of the abundance of cold air and full-latitude trough complexes that occupy eastern Asia (easily shown on the very cold appearance of the infrared MTSAT view). So storms which otherwise would fall apart on the long journey across the Pacific Ocean instead are deepening, and in the process pumping up ridges in the EPO and PNA positions while aiming disturbed weather along the central portion of the West Coast. For this reason, the generally cold, stormy pattern that has been in effect across the U.S. (albeit with quick moderation just downstream of the storms) is likely to continue into the second week of March.:biglaugh:

I don't think I understood a word of that, so I am sticking to my previous statement. It is springtime now, and winter is over! YAY SPRING!

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Thanks for the update! It doesn't sound nearly as bad as I had first thought. Only 1-3 or so here in WDM - not bad.

MrsWx4Cy

Dec 5, 2007

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007

I liked the part that talked about the weather.

I take this entire thing to mean that I'll be playing golf on March 20th.

FLYBOY1979

Apr 12, 2006
A lady on the Weather Channel said the winter we are having is because of Global Warming???? Ask Elwen ( spell?) Taylor ISU weather man.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
You see I'm just looking at the NAM and the GFS(I'll leave out the European models thats a whole different mess) and the amounts shown by that map and indicated by NWS just seem a bit light. My thoughts are about 4-6 by Des Moines, 6-8 or so by highway 20.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Here's my take on it:

I'd say the odds are good for a ninja attack in the northwest corner of the state, while we are looking more at a case of zombies (or possible pirate zombies with areas of pirate zombie ninjas in the Carroll area). Folks to the east are in the clear, I think.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Here's my thoughts on what Iowa will get in terms of snowfall.
1439-winter-storm-redux-iowasnowfall.png

Ummmmmmmmm. :confused:

matmann22

Dec 31, 2007
Pleasant Hill
matmann22.spaces.live.com
You see I'm just looking at the NAM and the GFS(I'll leave out the European models thats a whole different mess) and the amounts shown by that map and indicated by NWS just seem a bit light. My thoughts are about 4-6 by Des Moines, 6-8 or so by highway 20.

If you look at the latest model runs that you like, the problem isn't precip amounts in central Iowa it is air temperature.

For example, the point forecast for Pleasant Hill has at least 3 inches of snow in it BUT the surface temperature and the 850 mb temps are at or above freezing for almost the whole event. Temps don't fall below freezing until after the main show has pushed through central Iowa. The GFS, at least, doesn't show much of a trowal after the cold air filters in on the backside so deformation zone snowfall probably wont be very prolific.

I'm not saying it isn't going to snow, I'm saying the 1-3 for accumulating snows in Central Iowa is a better bet with the models this morning.

Aren't temperature dependent forecasts fun ?

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron