Winter Sports Athletes Extra Year of Eligibility

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Curious how we think this will affect our roster and recruiting.

1602776798393.png

Jalen Coleman-Lands and Solomon Young could come back as super-duper-seniors, if they wanted to. I could see them wanting to move on with their lives, but I could also see them looking at the state of the labor market and say "no thanks," enjoy the college experience (for free) a little longer and work on more graduate programs.

Everybody else freezes in place... e.g., they receive two junior years, two sophomore years, or two freshmen years.

Tyrese Hunter is going to be in the same class as Walker, Dubar, Blackwell, and Foster.

As of now, assuming no changes above, we would be going into the season after next with 13 -- or "full." We could retain the exact same roster, save for Hinson and Hunter coming to campus to add to it.

I wonder how this is going to affect Hinson's redshirt. Is he now basically a sophomore?

Not sure how they are going to deal with scholarship limits, though. Perhaps not having the super-duper seniors count against the limit. So we could functionally go up to 15 if those two would return?

I assume we are still going to add a few guys to the incoming freshman class to go with Hunter. Either the limit is going to have to relax, Young or JCL are going to move on, or we might have to make some space.

Reactions: Acylum

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Not sure how they are going to deal with scholarship limits, though. Perhaps not having the super-duper seniors count against the limit. So we could functionally go up to 15 if those two would return?

The policy for fall sports is that 2020 seniors can come back for 2021 and not count against the limit. Underclassmen will.

It's presumed that the same method will apply for winter sports -- 2020-21 seniors wouldn't count against 2021-22 limit, but everyone else would.

• Informative
Reactions: Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The policy for fall sports is that 2020 seniors can come back for 2021 and not count against the limit. Underclassmen will.

It's presumed that the same method will apply for winter sports -- 2020-21 seniors wouldn't count against 2021-22 limit, but everyone else would.

Thank you.

So we will functionally have 15 scholarships (if Young and JC-L decide to come back).

That leaves us with two openings (as of now, assuming departures from underclassmen) for this class.

I can imagine there are going to be teams out there with 16+ guys on scholarship given this situation. I would not want to be the coach that has to try to manage that logjam for playing time.

• Agree
Reactions: ChickenNuggetMan

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The real logjam would be in 2022-23 when everyone has another year of eligibility (no seniors graduating - only the "super-seniors" who didn't count against scholarship caps) but you have a class of freshmen you have already offered. But that year there are no players exempted from the scholarship limits.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
So solo could be a 6th year senior next year?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
On the radio this afternoon someone said Jack Nunge at Iowa could be a 4th year freshman..... is that true??

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
On the radio this afternoon someone said Jack Nunge at Iowa could be a 4th year freshman..... is that true??
If you heard it, I’ll assume that it’s true someone said such a stupid thing. He was a freshman a couple of years ago. Unless he finds the right DeLorean, he won’t be again.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron